Video game regulation, parents or the government

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Solace, Oct 30, 2010.

?

Parents or Government

1. Parents (and ESRB)

100.0%
  2. Government

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Neutral

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Solace

Solace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +14
    A US Senator has called for a ban for all video games with violent or sexual themes in them. This ban would prevent teenagers (and children) from purchasing violent (and sexual) video games, even with parental permission. Currently the law has it that minors can buy mature games (17 or older) if the minor is accompanied by an adult and that adult gives the clerk permission to sell the game to the minor. The government wants to make it so no matter what a minor cannot purchase a mature game. There is no scientific evidence linking violence to video games. So who do you think should be in charge of what teens and children play, the parents or the US government? We already have the ESRB, and most stores won't sell mature games to a minor without their parents okaying the transaction or confirming identification. Hell, just the other day at GameStop I saw a man who appeared to be in his 40s get asked for his ID to pre-order a mature game. I too was also asked for my drivers license. I for one am outraged at this, it should be up to the parents, not Uncle Sam.

2. Sallow

Sallow The Big Bad Wolf. Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,394
    This is clearly a personal choice.

3. thereisnospoon

thereisnospoon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,362
    Oy vay...Another brilliant idea from an interloping Statist.

4. Sheldon

Sheldon Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,330
    Link it, and don't post the entire article.

Regulating Video Games: Parents or Uncle Sam? | Adam D. Thierer | Cato Institute: Daily Commentary

Seven and a half years later and... Rated M games can still be sold to minors with parental consent. This isn't even an issue.

A single Congressman can introduce whatever dumbass legislation he wants seven years ago, but the Courts have made it clear where they stand on this as a First Amendment issue.