Veterans of Iraq, Afghanistan Show Brain Changes Related to Explosion Exposure

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
More than two million Americans have served in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. Of those that return, thousands carry invisible trauma that impact their daily lives. The effects of mild traumatic brain injury (mTBI) from explosive blasts are especially commonplace for these veterans, afflicting hundreds of thousands of service members.
New research explores how the number of explosions experienced by a veteran relates to lasting changes in the activity of specific brain cells in the cerebellum, an area traditionally associated with motor coordination. It is possible these changes contribute to some of the mood changes and cognitive complaints, such as memory loss, that service members report even years after exposure to combat.
In the new study a team based at the VA Puget Sound Health Care System and University of Washington—including clinical psychiatrist Elaine Peskind and molecular biologist David Cook of U.W. and VA Puget Sound molecular neurophysiologist James Meabon—worked with 33 participants who had been exposed to explosive blasts. The research team used functional imaging to observe brain activity and found that the more blast injuries former soldiers had sustained, the less activity occurred in their cerebellums. To look closer at the changes, the team assessed the cerebellums of mice that were also exposed to a blast and observed some breakdown in the blood–brain barrier as well as a loss of neurons called Purkinje cells, associated with the cerebellum. Further, structural imaging of some of the veterans found that blast injury had changed their brains’ pathways, although precisely what those findings mean remains harder to interpret.
The study appeared yesterday in Science Translational Medicine and study authors Peskind, Cook and Meabon spoke with Scientific American about the research.
[An edited transcript of the interview follows.]

What changes, if any, will come of these studies?

More victimization of American Veterans? Explosive blasts are more commonplace in Military training than in Iraq/Afghanistan tours. Modern Police/Security trainees experience close up explosive blasts as do people in the industry associated with explosives. Purple Heart Veterans who have been injured by IED's should be compensated but how does a freaking Puget Sound neuropsysioligist get to assume that explosive blast trauma was "commonplace" to the two million Americans who served in Iraq/Afghanistan?

More than two million Americans have served in the Iraq and Afghanistan wars. Of those that return, thousands carry invisible trauma that impact their daily lives. The effects of mild traumatic brain injury (mTBI) from explosive blasts are especially commonplace for these veterans, afflicting hundreds of thousands of service members.
New research explores how the number of explosions experienced by a veteran relates to lasting changes in the activity of specific brain cells in the cerebellum, an area traditionally associated with motor coordination. It is possible these changes contribute to some of the mood changes and cognitive complaints, such as memory loss, that service members report even years after exposure to combat.
In the new study a team based at the VA Puget Sound Health Care System and University of Washington—including clinical psychiatrist Elaine Peskind and molecular biologist David Cook of U.W. and VA Puget Sound molecular neurophysiologist James Meabon—worked with 33 participants who had been exposed to explosive blasts. The research team used functional imaging to observe brain activity and found that the more blast injuries former soldiers had sustained, the less activity occurred in their cerebellums. To look closer at the changes, the team assessed the cerebellums of mice that were also exposed to a blast and observed some breakdown in the blood–brain barrier as well as a loss of neurons called Purkinje cells, associated with the cerebellum. Further, structural imaging of some of the veterans found that blast injury had changed their brains’ pathways, although precisely what those findings mean remains harder to interpret.
The study appeared yesterday in Science Translational Medicine and study authors Peskind, Cook and Meabon spoke with Scientific American about the research.
[An edited transcript of the interview follows.]

What changes, if any, will come of these studies?

Try reaching for your right hip ( a handgun ) " in the blink of an eye", everytime something go bang - boom - clank...or a dropped object is loud.

In public, at some quick loud burst of noise, vehicle backfire or similar sound......you stop dead in your tracks and in the "blink of an eye" reach for your right hip ( a handgun ).

I have. It has taken me some time to get over.

I still get Tinnitus, but not as frequently, or as often. Sometimes, but not as frequently as I used to - and I told a medical person this in the fall of 2007 ; I still see lines and dots ( like a molecular makeup - bubbles in a clear glass ) sometimes. The "Molecules" show up, dance up and down with my glancing and looking ; hang around for about four to five minutes.....then disappear.

Sudden and abrupt headaches in the temples. They last about six minutes or so - then disappear. Sometimes, it is a sudden onset and it brings tears to my eyes. Short onset, lasts for about six minutes and disappears. When I drive, watching televison, or at work...they occur ; And they hurt like the dickens.

Shadow 355 ( Combat Veteran )

Last edited:
Nobody was closer to IED's and explosions than the guy who made them and set them off during the 60's and 70's and today he is a college professor. Anybody ever check Bill Ayers for brain changes?

Before I weigh in, are there any fellow Veterans of the Iraq and Afghan wars in this thread?

I spent 26 months (2 tours) in Afghanistan. I hit one IED that killed one Soldier and injured the other 4 of us. Myself and two others who were my regular crew got blown up two more times by RPGs. This was in 06-07 we were in up -armored HMMWVs. I suffer from some of the same things as Shadow does except the hyper-vigilance. It got better over time. I still jump at loud noises and have hit the ground in parking lots, but I don't have my rifle with me. I retired as a 1SG in 2012, now I live a quiet life on a 70 acre farm somewhere in MO.

As far as anything coming from the studies it will take another 5-10 years before we know enough to do anything about it.

I spent 26 months (2 tours) in Afghanistan. I hit one IED that killed one Soldier and injured the other 4 of us. Myself and two others who were my regular crew got blown up two more times by RPGs. This was in 06-07 we were in up -armored HMMWVs. I suffer from some of the same things as Shadow does except the hyper-vigilance. It got better over time. I still jump at loud noises and have hit the ground in parking lots, but I don't have my rifle with me. I retired as a 1SG in 2012, now I live a quiet life on a 70 acre farm somewhere in MO.

As far as anything coming from the studies it will take another 5-10 years before we know enough to do anything about it.

Greetings, fellow farmer from Missouri!

More victimization of American Veterans? Explosive blasts are more commonplace in Military training than in Iraq/Afghanistan tours. Modern Police/Security trainees experience close up explosive blasts as do people in the industry associated with explosives. Purple Heart Veterans who have been injured by IED's should be compensated but how does a freaking Puget Sound neuropsysioligist get to assume that explosive blast trauma was "commonplace" to the two million Americans who served in Iraq/Afghanistan?

I don't know about the victimization of veterans. I believe there are thousands with brain with injuries. In my 34 man Army Infantry platoon 75% had some sort of brain injury. Seven had been shot in the head none killed from that, thank god for the helmets we wore. The thing with the numbers in a conventional war generally only combat arms are exposed to the blasts and gunfire. These wars are not conventional. You have support MOS's out doing different missions and being exposed to the rigors of combat. Sure there are lots and lots of service members who never leave the main bases and except for an occasional rocket have no exposure to it. So based on my experience there are thousands of troops with brain injuries.

The problems we have treating these injuries is trying to understand them. We still don't know enough about them. In past wars/conflicts these casualties would have most likely died. Now we have an abundance of subjects to study. I think any study done is a good thing. The more we learn the better we can treat them. The thing about wars is they always advance medical treatments.

It's a conundrum indeed; understanding that your brain has been permanently altered in a bad way --and wanting to do something about it -- while detesting pity at the same time.

Combat rigors aside, I was prescribed Mefloquine for both of my deployments because I am allergic to Tetracycline.

Forum List

Back