Veteran Jailed For Refusing To Pay Alimony With His VA Disability Compensation

Nov 5, 2004
PRESS RELEASE #17

Van Luven Jailed For Refusing To Pay Alimony With His VA Disability Compensation

By Staff Writer: Rick Townsend

11/3/04

Disabled Vietnam combat veteran Dale Van Luven of Hermitage, Tennessee was sentenced to 30 days in jail today on 12 counts of contempt by failure to pay alimony. Van Luven was arrested immediately and is currently being held at CJC Davison County Tennessee jail.

Van Luven, a long time veteran’s rights advocate, contends 4th Circuit Court Judge Muriel Robinson used his VA disability compensation to equate his ability to pay alimony, and is therefore in violation of U.S. Code, Title 38, section 5301(a). In fact, Van Luven’s VA disability compensation and his Social Security are directly mentioned in his final divorce decree as income.

Judge Robinson stated in open court this morning that since she had not directly attached to his VA disability compensation check – she was not in violation of federal law. “I just told you to pay the alimony, I didn’t say where the funds were to come from”, Judge Robinson stated.

Van Luven has been jailed before on non-payment of alimony. In 2003 Van Luven spent 180 days behind bars on the same charges. “They will have to kill me before I allow anyone to take my earned veterans benefits,” Van Luven stated. “Judge Robinson is not fooling anyone – a blind man could see what she has done,” he added.

Judge Robinson first ordered Van Luven to serve 90 days, but for some unknown reason reduced the sentence to 30 days. Judge Robinson also indicated she had received a number of faxes and was not very happy with the accusations posted on the internet that she was in violation of federal law. She suggested Van Luven stop playing like a lawyer and just pay the alimony.

Fellow Vietnam combat disabled veteran Jere Beery of Jefferson, Ohio believes Van Luven was wrongfully arrested and is doing everything he can to get his fellow combat disabled veteran out of jail. “There is no bond that can be posted, and his ex-wife is claiming back alimony and attorney fees totaling thousands of dollars. So, there isn’t a great deal I can do at this point. I will tell you this; Van Luven’s VA disability compensation was directly mentioned and considered in his ability to pay alimony, and therefore was directly attached/included in the equation used to determine the amount of alimony he would pay. Dale Van Luven is unjustly incarcerated,” Beery stated.

Beery himself may be facing jail in Georgia, as he has refused to pay alimony with his VA disability compensation as well. “Dale’s case is a little more complicated than mine, but the intent of both of our judges is exactly the same. Civil courts are finding ways to slither their way into VA funded veterans benefits,” Beery said. “We have told people that we would go to jail over this. Dale chose to appear in court today and confront Judge Robinson and jail. Now, maybe someone will believe us,” Beery added.

Van Luven and Beery have been fighting for months to bring this issue to light among the military and veteran community across the country. An internet search of the Van Luven & Beery story reveals a large number of sites devoted to the two men’s attempt to protect veteran’s benefits.

To complicate things, Van Luven is not in good health. “The last time I was in here, the jailors refused to give me my medications, or they tried to give me substitutes for the pills my doctor prescribed. I don’t think this time would be any different,” Van Luven said.

Jere Beery has threatened to stop taking all prescribed medications and even stop eating in protest if jailed.

Georgia attorney Jack Nebl and his Investigator Rick Plymale, both fellow Vietnam veterans are deeply concerned about this issue, and have donated their services Pro Bono to the Beery case in Georgia. “Judges in a divorce case are required to consider all assets in determining a person’s ability to pay alimony. When VA disability compensation is included as an asset, it becomes a part of the formula used to determine an amount. Unfortunately, this results in funds paid out for veteran’s benefits being diverted from the veteran that earned them. This is contrary to the intent of Federal laws established in U.S. Code, Title 38 & 42 to protect said veteran’s benefits,” Plymale explained.

In a telephone interview today, Plymale stated “I am absolutely outraged at Van Luven’s incarceration. State Judges have found a way around the Federal prohibitions on attaching VA disability compensation. They hide behind the language of the legislation, wherein the federal code doesn’t specifically prevent State Judges from considering this compensation as ‘income’ in domestic cases. The only thing the federal law does is to prohibit actual attachment. Common sense has escaped these Judges, who, by virtue of their bullying tactics, create debtor’s prisons – something the Supreme Court abolished more than a hundred years ago.”

Attorney at law, Charles Galbreath, of Nashville, Tennessee was retained by Van Luven in July of this year. Mr. Galbreath has yet to release a statement concerning Van Luven’s arrest.

Van Luven and Beery are hoping someone with authority will intervene and get Dale out of jail until this issue of veteran’s benefits protection can be resolved.

For the full story and contact information, visit –

**Edited By SE**
Sorry, we do not allow links for advertising!

The alimony and child support racket has become a slimey business. It seems that for every one honest mother just looking to get by and feed her kids, their are 2 mothers just pumping out kids so they can get the money train to roll in.

Whats sickening is that men are forced to pay a ridiculous sum of money to these women. Then if they try to obtain a second job to help pay for the ridiculous sum, the sum goes up according to the liberal judges because the guy is making more money. Nevermind that the guy is now working 60-70 hours a week to pay 60% of his money to his ex who works 5-10 hours a week if that.

This whole system needs MAJOR reform.

insein said:
The alimony and child support racket has become a slimey business. It seems that for every one honest mother just looking to get by and feed her kids, their are 2 mothers just pumping out kids so they can get the money train to roll in.

Whats sickening is that men are forced to pay a ridiculous sum of money to these women. Then if they try to obtain a second job to help pay for the ridiculous sum, the sum goes up according to the liberal judges because the guy is making more money. Nevermind that the guy is now working 60-70 hours a week to pay 60% of his money to his ex who works 5-10 hours a week if that.

This whole system needs MAJOR reform.
It's nice to know that someone else feels the same way I do. From my own personal experience, I can vouche for what you say as being true. I got off easy, but had to take a lot of abuse to do it.

Vets keep your benefits, let those who think it is ok to to dishonor a hero, earn their own benefits. Alimony is rediculous.

11/3/04

Disabled Vietnam combat veteran Dale Van Luven of Hermitage, Tennessee was sentenced to 30 days in jail today on 12 counts of contempt by failure to pay alimony. Van Luven was arrested immediately and is currently being held at CJC Davison County Tennessee jail.

Van Luven, a long time veteran’s rights advocate, contends 4th Circuit Court Judge Muriel Robinson used his VA disability compensation to equate his ability to pay alimony, and is therefore in violation of U.S. Code, Title 38, section 5301(a). In fact, Van Luven’s VA disability compensation and his Social Security are directly mentioned in his final divorce decree as income.

Judge Robinson stated in open court this morning that since she had not directly attached to his VA disability compensation check – she was not in violation of federal law. “I just told you to pay the alimony, I didn’t say where the funds were to come from”, Judge Robinson stated.

Van Luven has been jailed before on non-payment of alimony. In 2003 Van Luven spent 180 days behind bars on the same charges. “They will have to kill me before I allow anyone to take my earned veterans benefits,” Van Luven stated. “Judge Robinson is not fooling anyone – a blind man could see what she has done,” he added.

Judge Robinson first ordered Van Luven to serve 90 days, but for some unknown reason reduced the sentence to 30 days. Judge Robinson also indicated she had received a number of faxes and was not very happy with the accusations posted on the internet that she was in violation of federal law. She suggested Van Luven stop playing like a lawyer and just pay the alimony.

Fellow Vietnam combat disabled veteran Jere Beery of Jefferson, Ohio believes Van Luven was wrongfully arrested and is doing everything he can to get his fellow combat disabled veteran out of jail. “There is no bond that can be posted, and his ex-wife is claiming back alimony and attorney fees totaling thousands of dollars. So, there isn’t a great deal I can do at this point. I will tell you this; Van Luven’s VA disability compensation was directly mentioned and considered in his ability to pay alimony, and therefore was directly attached/included in the equation used to determine the amount of alimony he would pay. Dale Van Luven is unjustly incarcerated,” Beery stated.

Beery himself may be facing jail in Georgia, as he has refused to pay alimony with his VA disability compensation as well. “Dale’s case is a little more complicated than mine, but the intent of both of our judges is exactly the same. Civil courts are finding ways to slither their way into VA funded veterans benefits,” Beery said. “We have told people that we would go to jail over this. Dale chose to appear in court today and confront Judge Robinson and jail. Now, maybe someone will believe us,” Beery added.

Van Luven and Beery have been fighting for months to bring this issue to light among the military and veteran community across the country. An internet search of the Van Luven & Beery story reveals a large number of sites devoted to the two men’s attempt to protect veteran’s benefits.

To complicate things, Van Luven is not in good health. “The last time I was in here, the jailors refused to give me my medications, or they tried to give me substitutes for the pills my doctor prescribed. I don’t think this time would be any different,” Van Luven said.

Jere Beery has threatened to stop taking all prescribed medications and even stop eating in protest if jailed.

Georgia attorney Jack Nebl and his Investigator Rick Plymale, both fellow Vietnam veterans are deeply concerned about this issue, and have donated their services Pro Bono to the Beery case in Georgia. “Judges in a divorce case are required to consider all assets in determining a person’s ability to pay alimony. When VA disability compensation is included as an asset, it becomes a part of the formula used to determine an amount. Unfortunately, this results in funds paid out for veteran’s benefits being diverted from the veteran that earned them. This is contrary to the intent of Federal laws established in U.S. Code, Title 38 & 42 to protect said veteran’s benefits,” Plymale explained.

In a telephone interview today, Plymale stated “I am absolutely outraged at Van Luven’s incarceration. State Judges have found a way around the Federal prohibitions on attaching VA disability compensation. They hide behind the language of the legislation, wherein the federal code doesn’t specifically prevent State Judges from considering this compensation as ‘income’ in domestic cases. The only thing the federal law does is to prohibit actual attachment. Common sense has escaped these Judges, who, by virtue of their bullying tactics, create debtor’s prisons – something the Supreme Court abolished more than a hundred years ago.”

Attorney at law, Charles Galbreath, of Nashville, Tennessee was retained by Van Luven in July of this year. Mr. Galbreath has yet to release a statement concerning Van Luven’s arrest.

Van Luven and Beery are hoping someone with authority will intervene and get Dale out of jail until this issue of veteran’s benefits protection can be resolved.

For the full story and contact information, visit –

**Edited By SE**
Sorry, we do not allow links for advertising![/QUOTE]

Disabled veterans are not above the law. If they marry and have children, they're still subject to support those children.

If they drive a car and see a stop sign, it's their public duty to stop for the stop sign. They wouldn't tell the cop "Disabled Veterans do not have to stop at stop signs, and you do not have the right to give me a ticket and expect me to pay it."

Children are so much more in need of support than a damn metal stop sign.

Make him pay, but give the guy a pass to the Creep Show and let it go at that. :rolleyes:

these Judges said:
State court violation Separation of Powers DISABLED VETERANS

If, and when the question is a disabled veteran’s VA disability compensation as alimony/support, something to consider first.
=
The “separation of powers” doctrine is completely ignored by Tennessee and most state court judges, acting like doctors, holding themselves as qualified, as a provider of health care, policy making outside their jurisdiction. Substituting their judgment for the judgment of VA doctors and medical professionals awarding as alimony a disabled veteran’s VA disability compensation. To allow what has been happening, was this the intent of Congress?
=
Constitution Of The State Of Tennessee
ARTICLE II. Distribution of Powers.
Section 1. “The powers of the government shall be divided into three distinct departments: legislative, executive, and judicial.”
Section 2. “No person or persons belonging to one of these departments shall exercise any of the powers properly belonging to either of the others, except in the cases herein directed or permitted.”
=
If the United State court of appeals, in VETERANS FOR COMMON SENSE, VETERANS UNITED FOR TRUTH, INC., v. ERIC K. SHINSEKI, December 13, 2011, ruled, “As much as we may wish for expeditious improvement in the way the VA handles mental health care and service-related disability compensation, we cannot exceed our jurisdiction to accomplish it,..” As well, Tennessee courts are in no legal position to do so. Despite the law, it continues.
=
“It is well established that disability benefits are a protected property interest and may not be discontinued without due process of law.” See Atkins v. Parker, 472 U.S. 115, 128 (1985); Mathews v. Eldridge, 424 U.S. 319, 332 (1976)”
=
14th Amendment. “No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, with due process of law, ..”

Disabled veterans are not above the law. If they marry and have children, they're still subject to support those children.

If they drive a car and see a stop sign, it's their public duty to stop for the stop sign. They wouldn't tell the cop "Disabled Veterans do not have to stop at stop signs, and you do not have the right to give me a ticket and expect me to pay it."

Children are so much more in need of support than a damn metal stop sign.

Make him pay, but give the guy a pass to the Creep Show and let it go at that. :rolleyes:

It's alimony not child support.
Child support orders are made to force losers to pay for their offspring .
Alimony is a punitive measure applied to men after a marriage breaks down .
Alimony is a hate crime. But hate against men is a good thing apparently.

He has income. He was ordered to pay alimony based on his income. There is nothing sacrosanct in being a veteran that would remove him from the laws that other people have to follow.

If the man is not able to work any kind of job, what he has to pay has got to come from whatever income he is able to get.

God bless you and him always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Forum List

Back