Very Very Strange Phone Call!!! Has anyone ever had this happen before?

Trinity

VIP Member
Jun 16, 2004
This was so weird!

Last night my youngest and i were making brownies, while I was pouring them into the pan, the phone rang so I told my youngest to answer it, he did he said hello, then he said hold on my mom is making something, a few seconds later he says hello, hello, I then took the phone and there was no one on the line, weird not really maybe they just decided to call back later.

so about 10 minutes later I am sitting on the computer the phone rings again I answered it and some women is saying hello about 3 times, and so am I. I finally said can you hear me? she says yes, but doesn't ask to speak to anyone. so I said can i help you? she says she had just answered her phone. it rang and she was answering it. I said but mine just rang and I'm answering mine. so I'm thinking ok this is weird, maybe cell phone screw up or something. so i ask her name? she says Ethel, I don't know any Ethel's. She asks me mine, I tell her and she doesn't know me, not surprised here. She then asks if Lightning has struck by my house? I said no, as I'm looking outside it's not even looking like it's going to rain. so i ask where are you at? she Say's Texas I said What! Texas? I am in Ohio, So we both decided OK this is really weird, Then she says it must be fate, then wants to know if I am single? I said no I am married she then says oh well we could have had something special :puke3: Ok end of that conversation GOODBYE!

Now what are the odds of both mine and her phone ringing at the same time and answering at the same time and being thousands of mile away? Was it just a freak thing or is someone trying to tamper with phone lines?

I'd have considered it my personal duty to freak them out so bad that THEY hung up. :) After all, if she answered her phone and you answered your phone, neither of you has the others number. :)

Shattered said:
After all, if she answered her phone and you answered your phone, neither of you has the others number. :)
Maybe "Ethel's" lieing and she has the hots for K and called her. Maybe Ethel doesn't live in Texas but right down the road. Hmmm, freaky, freaky!! :tinfoil:

UsaPride said:
Maybe "Ethel's" lieing and she has the hots for K and called her. Maybe Ethel doesn't live in Texas but right down the road. Hmmm, freaky, freaky!! :tinfoil:

Oh, sure.. Scare the crap outta here so she doesn't join our fun little "Let's see what happens if we do this..." game. :smoke:

Shattered said:
I'd have considered it my personal duty to freak them out so bad that THEY hung up. :) After all, if she answered her phone and you answered your phone, neither of you has the others number. :)
Hehehehe...I've had caller ID for a long time. Before the National do not call list
which has worked very well for me, I would screw with the tella-marketers all the time.
My attitude was..screw em they called me without invitation!

The most fun I had was to answer the phone with "FBI, agent Smith".
These idiots still ask for Mr. P....so I played, "No this is agent Smith and you've called
an FBI special field office, how did you get this number?"
After about 4 of these calls from the same company and after giving them the same story
and telling them to not call back, a SUPERVISOR actually called...Huh!!!hahahahaha
I used the same story on her...the calls ended.

You know if I hadn't been so grossed out and completly dumbfounded, when she said that. I could have had some fun with it. oh though, my youngest was standing there, so I wouldn't have been able to have as much fun as i would have liked.

and if she does happen to live down the road, I have a 12 gauge shotgun with deer slugs. :firing: J/K

Mr. P said:
Hehehehe...I've had caller ID for a long time. Before the National do not call list
which has worked very well for me, I would screw with the tella-marketers all the time.
My attitude was..screw em they called me without invitation!

The most fun I had was to answer the phone with "FBI, agent Smith".
These idiots still ask for Mr. P....so I played, "No this is agent Smith and you've called
an FBI special field office, how did you get this number?"
After about 4 of these calls from the same company and after giving them the same story
and telling them to not call back, a SUPERVISOR actually called...Huh!!!hahahahaha
I used the same story on her...the calls ended.

You have FAR too much patience.. If it even sounds REMOTELY like a telemarketer, I hang up the phone, and don't answer when it rings again.

I had caller ID about 5 years ago, however the only calls that showed up were those from my area code, any one else calling came up unavailable and at that time no one I knew was calling from my area code. so i got rid of it. I wonder if they have improved the system enough yet for it to be worth my wild to get it again.

Check with your phone company - you can probably get it free as part of a package deal now...

khafley said:
I had caller ID about 5 years ago, however the only calls that showed up were those from my area code, any one else calling came up unavailable and at that time no one I knew was calling from my area code. so i got rid of it. I wonder if they have improved the system enough yet for it to be worth my wild to get it again.
I've seen "unavailable" or "Unknown Name Unknown Number". For me they have always been marketers.

The National do not call list is free and you can sign up online. And it works, I don't get marketing calls any longer.

Mr. P said:
I've seen "unavailable" or "Unknown Name Unknown Number". For me they have always been marketers.

The National do not call list is free and you can sign up online. And it works, I don't get marketing calls any longer.

Where i'm at we have a 937 area code, Which is technically associated with Dayton, however Dayton is long distance for me. most of the 513 area code which is Cincinnati, is local except for a few areas. the problem was when someone called from Cincinnati they always showed up as unavailable so I didn't see the point in paying for a service that was not telling me who was calling.

and yes I am on the do not call list. and have not recieved a marketing call in about a year now!!! got to love that do not call list!

dilloduck said:
ok I confess--I'm ethel :teeth:

Boy Dillo, You sure sounded like a women last night. how did you do it? very convincing! :D

khafley said:
This was so weird!

Last night my youngest and i were making brownies, while I was pouring them into the pan, the phone rang so I told my youngest to answer it, he did he said hello, then he said hold on my mom is making something, a few seconds later he says hello, hello, I then took the phone and there was no one on the line, weird not really maybe they just decided to call back later.

so about 10 minutes later I am sitting on the computer the phone rings again I answered it and some women is saying hello about 3 times, and so am I. I finally said can you hear me? she says yes, but doesn't ask to speak to anyone. so I said can i help you? she says she had just answered her phone. it rang and she was answering it. I said but mine just rang and I'm answering mine. so I'm thinking ok this is weird, maybe cell phone screw up or something. so i ask her name? she says Ethel, I don't know any Ethel's. She asks me mine, I tell her and she doesn't know me, not surprised here. She then asks if Lightning has struck by my house? I said no, as I'm looking outside it's not even looking like it's going to rain. so i ask where are you at? she Say's Texas I said What! Texas? I am in Ohio, So we both decided OK this is really weird, Then she says it must be fate, then wants to know if I am single? I said no I am married she then says oh well we could have had something special :puke3: Ok end of that conversation GOODBYE!

Now what are the odds of both mine and her phone ringing at the same time and answering at the same time and being thousands of mile away? Was it just a freak thing or is someone trying to tamper with phone lines?

This happens when call-waiting is used and then you hang up on the call waiting.

What likely happened is they called you, but while they were waiting for you to get the phone they got a call and switched over to the new call. You picked up and of course it appeared to you that nobody was there so you hung up. The person who called you forgot at all that they had a call waiting on the other line and hung up their phone. Call waiting at that point would attempt to reconnect the call that was on hold. This makes both phones ring, you both pick up and have no idea what is happening.

Forum List

Back