Vermeer, Hals, and Rembrandt

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Sunday we spent the day at The Frick Museum (The Frick Collection) on 5th Avenue, Manhattan.....

We had tickets....the last day of the exhibit....to the Dutch Masters, with the Dutch Mona Lisa, the Girl With a Pearl Earring as the central attraction.

Getting in, with timed tickets, still required long lines in below freezing temperatures.
Where's that Global Warming when you need it?

Well worth the wait and the cold....I look good in blue.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlSFnOS-u-c]Girl with a pearl earring by the Dutch painter Jan Vermeer - YouTube[/ame]

Interesting side note....experts claim that it couldn't have been a pearl of that size, and was either a glass bead painted to look like one, or simply an imaginary one painted in by Vermeer.

My favs were the Rembrandts and the van Eycks.

Any see the exhibit when it was in D.C. or San Francisco?

You know these guys were probably liberals, right? LOL

So glad you dropped by with a non-comment, NoClass.....

Just wondering, for someone in your category, and thinking about how cold it was on line yesterday........which is your favorite over-night, refrigerator boxes, splintered pallets, Dumpsters, garbage cans, or subway grates?

This was probably my fav at the Frick:

Jan van Eyck, 'Virgin and Child with Saints and Donor."

Excellent audio at the link:

http://collections.frick.org/view/objects/asitem/items$0040:161

Last edited:
Vermeer and Rembrandt are my favorites...an aside...Hals could view a subject, walk into another room and come back with a finished portrait in twenty minutes. Amazing technician.

Vermeer and Rembrandt are my favorites...an aside...Hals could view a subject, walk into another room and come back with a finished portrait in twenty minutes. Amazing technician.

Hitler was a great painter!
"Hitler... there was a painter! He could paint an entire apartment in ONE afternoon! TWO coats!"

From "The Producers"

Bet you like Bosch, too.

...and Caravaggio

Bosch no...Caravaggio had no equal in his day...Incredible technician and innovator...

You know these guys were probably liberals, right? LOL

So glad you dropped by with a non-comment, NoClass.....

Just wondering, for someone in your category, and thinking about how cold it was on line yesterday........which is your favorite over-night, refrigerator boxes, splintered pallets, Dumpsters, garbage cans, or subway grates?

No sense of humor this year?

The weather here has been mild actually. And if not, our bedroom suite with jacuzzi, media theater, 8 x 7 foot bed and enclosed porch is quite cozy, thank you. The underfloor heating really takes the chill off of the 18th century stone house. So nice of you to inquire about my comfort, now fight off the cold in your apartment.

Sunday we spent the day at The Frick Museum (The Frick Collection) on 5th Avenue, Manhattan.....

We had tickets....the last day of the exhibit....to the Dutch Masters, with the Dutch Mona Lisa, the Girl With a Pearl Earring as the central attraction.

Getting in, with timed tickets, still required long lines in below freezing temperatures.

Girl with a pearl earring by the Dutch painter Jan Vermeer - YouTube

Interesting side note....experts claim that it couldn't have been a pearl of that size, and was either a glass bead painted to look like one, or simply an imaginary one painted in by Vermeer.

There is no substitute for seeing artwork in person. Well done for braving the inclimate weather for such an enriching cultural experience.

Amazing to me about my visits to the Louvre ...

As you walk through, you see hundreds pieces of stunning sculpture by unknown and long forgotten artists. Incredible artists and no one knows who they were.

As wonderful as all of them were, my first sight of the Michelangelo's Dying Slave just took my breath away. You'll have to google the images because last time I posted a Michelangelo, I got reported for posting nudity ..................

We're talking about going back to France this spring to see the ancient cave paintings but will spend some time in Paris as well. I am SO ready for this trip!

Amazing to me about my visits to the Louvre ...

As you walk through, you see hundreds pieces of stunning sculpture by unknown and long forgotten artists. Incredible artists and no one knows who they were.

As wonderful as all of them were, my first sight of the Michelangelo's Dying Slave just took my breath away. You'll have to google the images because last time I posted a Michelangelo, I got reported for posting nudity ..................

We're talking about going back to France this spring to see the ancient cave paintings but will spend some time in Paris as well. I am SO ready for this trip!

In that case....don't miss a trip to Florence....The Galleria dell'Accademia di Firenze, or "Gallery of the Academy of Florence"...

...not just the David...four unfinished marble statues of slaves.

And the greatest museum in the world...the Uffizi.....but tickets are difficult to get.

Girl with a pearl earring by the Dutch painter Jan Vermeer - YouTube

This framed print, in the video, is one of 150, I have hanging on my walls. The history of the sad girl in the painting can be seen on Netflix ( a couple of years ago ) but the movie ( the same name as the painting ) is sordid, yet somehow captivating. I loved it, but didn't love the way it left me feeling and reeling.

Forum List

Back