VA Programs for Incarcerated Vets

longknife

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2012
Sin City
by IsaacFDavis

VA Programs for Incarcerated Vets Veteran Journal 336x225VA Programs for Incarcerated Vets

If a veteran commits a crime and receives a prison sentence after completing military service, he or she may receive support and assistance from the Department of Veterans Affairs. The VA has programs that help incarcerated veterans, and when these individuals comply with VA regulations, they may be able to receive this help after they are released.

If you know an incarcerated vet, share this with him or her. Read more with links @ VA Programs for Incarcerated Vets | Veteran Journal | veteranjournal.com

:salute:

The program you describe here is designed for vets who have served time in state prison and who are being released, back into the community. It is a re-entry program, and sounds like a very good thing.

I'll go you one better - in California (at least Southern California/the Los Angeles area), the criminal justice system has instituted what is called Veteran's Court. This is for vets who are charged with a crime, rather than those who have completed their sentence. There are certain restrictive entrance requirements but, if the vet qualifies, his criminal case is transferred to Veterans' Court, where alternative sentencing (to state prison) becomes available.

One of the main types of vets they are on the lookout for is the vet who commits a crime of violence due to a service related disability, usually PTSD. Makes sense. Guy comes back from combat with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder - a disorder than can easily compel him into commiting crimes of violence, crimes that he would otherwise not have committed but for the PTSD. Since he got the condition to begin with while serving our country in combat, rather than punish him, take all of that into account and give him the help that he needs.

I point out - Veteran's Court is different from the program you describe in the OP, but it is similar in purpose and intent.

My guess is that it is another bureaucratic BS adventure that eats up precious funding that law abiding Vets need.

My guess is that it is another bureaucratic BS adventure that eats up precious funding that law abiding Vets need.

It is designed to divert vets from the criminal justice system, into mental/psychological counseling aimed at getting to the bottom of the root cause of the crime committed, usually PTSD.

A guy risks his life, fighting for his county and, in the course, contracts PTSD. He comes home and, because of the PTSD, he attacks someone. Apparently, you would be in favor of simply putting him in state prison, rather than giving him the counseling he needs to counter the pscyhological disorder he never would have gotten if he hadn't been fighting for our country.

There is something unfair and unjust about punishing someone for a service related disability which they never would have acquired but for serving in a combat zone.

Are you sure you fully understand what's going on here?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back