USMB Coffee Shop IV

Hombre andI got our first shot of the COVID vaccine today. So far so good. Zero side effects noted. No hair growing on our toes or anything. I wavered getting it reading so many alarming things on social media, but honestly many many of our friends and kin have now had the shots with no problems whatsoever. And since we are first in line as caretaker for my 94-year-old aunt and our heart transplant friend, and our weekly 42 partners are among the extremely high risk group, so we decided we would get the shots just in case they actually work. One more defense not to infect any of the high risk people.
The VA is pushing the vaccine, I have no idea which one, to all us veterans, but it's a HARD PASS for me.

Leaked Documents Reveal Major Concerns About Early Batches Of Pfizer mRNA Vaccine - The True Reporter

Reading some of those illustrious offerings from your source, I can offer this bit of advice: Don't believe everything you read.

I think most of us think pretty critically on these things, and I don't fault anybody for being cautious. I have read all the downsides reported from wherever and also the upsides being reported wherever, and made a calculated decision that the risk was less getting the vaccine than not getting it for me. That may or may not be true for others though.

But anyway, welcome to the Coffee Shop odanny. Be sure to read over the OP to see what we're all about here and then keep right on joining in. First timers to the Coffee Shop receive a complimentary beverage:

View attachment 471373
I envy people who can take virus shots. The last 2 flu shots I took gave me the flu, and when I took the pneumonia shot, I went into shock for several hours in the er, plus I had full blown pneumonia 5 times in a row for several months. When I read up on the shots given that year, the pneumonia shot contained 6 variations of pneumonia, so I figured I got all 6 of them in a one after another basis for all those months. This year, no shots but I have constant asthma for over the last 10 months. I had an attack of asthma the year before, but it went away after the live oaks pollen disappeared. And I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired.

I don't think I am going for any more flulike shots including the covid vaccine. I did all the charity work I could for the last 50 years, so I'm ready to meet my maker should if wearing a mask in public fail to keep me safe. I just hope He will be forgiving of any unknown errors I may have unwittingly made in my life of hard work and long retirement falls, too. It's getting late. Hope everyone has a lovely weekend and good health ahead. :huddle:
I have similar difficulties with various vaccines and have decided to opt out of this one, too. As far as masking is concerned, if I was intended to suck down that much CO2, I'd sprout leaves in a few weeks. Plus, I get headaches if I wear a mask more than a few minutes.
You have a great week and good health.
The CDC already said that the statistical difference everyone wearing a mask has made is less than 1%. It's been virtually irrelevant. I don't wear a mask anywhere, ever.

It's a hard pass on the biolab DNA altering mRNA shot for me too. It'll be interesting to see what happens a year, two years, three, etc, to those that got it. Can't be good... just my thoughts.
When I'm wearing a mask my asthma symptoms calm a little. It has been almost relentless lately.

I have a type of asthma that is exercise induced. The attacks don't last long and are abated just by being still for a minute or two. But the masks tend to trigger them somewhat--I find myself gasping for air in situations it doesn't happen if I don't wear a mask.
I wear the mask so those hearing my Chest's loud wheezing and coughing are spared a modicum of assurance they will not get covid which I do not have anyway.

I had to go to the gynocologist last week for a biopsy. At the hospital door, the guy in the glass booth asked me if I had any difficulty breathing, shortness of breath, coughing, nausea, or diarrhea. I said yes to all of the above, and none of them related to covid.

Every time I cough in the grocery store, I try to hide it and if anyone gives me the "look", I just say "allergies and asthma".

ExvxgAmVEAMImC0.jpg

Over 70's can now get the jab in Ontario!!! In my district, our PCP's are calling all their patients to schedule our shots. My 80 year old friend gets her second shot next week. The clinic is the next town over, and she's promised me a ride for whenever I'm scheduled. I'd ride my bike if I had to.

I don't work out, per se, but I don't own a car. I ride my bike everywhere in summer, and through most of the winter too. If there's ice or snow on the roads, I walk, but winters are so much milder than when I was a kid, it's only a few weeks out of the year when riding isn't possible.

The one exercise I still love is swimming. I will do laps by the hour. I was a competitive swimmer as a kid, and there is something so peaceful about getting in the water with just the sound of your own breathing, as you go back and forth. I used to swim a mile of breast stroke every morning, at the Earlybirds' Practice. Today, I can still easily swim a mile of breast stroke, but it takes me three times as long to do it, and I'll be going for a nap right after I finish.

My specialty stroke was the Butterfly. I came within a hair's breadth of setting a Canadian record in the 100 metre butterfly, when I was 11 years old. It takes a LOT of energy to swim butterfly - like doing jumping jacks on dry land non-stop for 90 seconds. But I was really, really good at it - long arms, skinny as a stick - I flew through the water. A few years ago I decided to swim 25 metres of butterfly - 1/4 of my racing distance, and time it. I did a racing dive, into the water, and it still took me 30 seconds to cover the 25 metres. When I arrived at the other end of the pool, I just clung to the side of the pool panting desperately for about 10 minutes. I haven't tried it since.

Also dancing. My ex and I used to go dancing every weekend. Last week I had my earbuds on and I let Siri pick my music. Apple Music is the best $10.99 I spend every month. I loves me my iTunes. On the weekend, I was cleaning up my kitchen with the ear buds on and Siri was picking GOOD tunes. I started dancing round my kitchen, until something popped in my knee. It'll be fine in another day or two.
Your swimming discussion is wonderful. I didn't start swimming a mile a day until my 50s. Your words ring true about how good it feels to swim, and kudos for winning swimming awards early in life. I almost drowned when I was 5. I didn't even learn to swim until high school in girl's PE that required a 30 minute time of swimming without touching the edge of the high school swimming pool. After that, I loved swimming. It is likely one of the best ways of staying in shape for life. Thanks for an inspiring post!

Beautress, I commend you for learning to swim in your 50's. As an adult, I have often wondered if I had been able to go out of town for year round training, like my teammates, whose parents drove them to a nearby city with world class swim programs, and 3 of whomwent to the Olympics, could I have made it to the Canadian team? I was a summer swimmer - my mother didn't even own a car.

The ribbons and medals were more good luck than good management. Swimming lessons were free in my town when I was growing up. So was swim team. All you needed was a Speedo and a bathing cap. The Kiwanis Club and the YMCA funded the swimming lessons and paid for the coaches, and they were AMAZING coaches. My memories of swim team are connected to some of the happiest times in my childhood.

My father died when I was 11, after a long illness, which I learned of when I was 9 years old. The last 6 months of his life, I spent with family because my mother was with him night and day at the hospital. In the days before universal health care, the costs of his hospitalization and treatment, wiped my parents out financially. My mother had to take out a loan to put a stone on his grave. Swim team was my outlet, and my escape, and the "normal" part of that time in my life. And I was really good at it. Sports are way more fun when your team wins ALL of the time, which our team mostly did. It's fun to be a consistent winner.

It also taught me a work ethic - how to establish goals and work towards them. That nothing of value is accomplished without a lot of hard work. I was kind of a shy, skinny kid, but at the pool, when teams were picked, I was always one of the first ones picked. I was the anchor for the relay team. It built my confidence. My mother used to say that I could do anything I set me mind to, and at the pool, her words came true. Those values have given me a good living throughout my life.

I have been here at USMB less and less, mostly due to how depressing it is. Non stop barrage of bad news, and I'm having a hard time with dealing with our new administration in DC, and the negativity constantly going on. It brings me even more down than I already am.

Therefore....I think I will just stick to the Coffee Shop and visit since there is no politics, no bad stuff, no sad stuff, etc. Just a bunch of folks sharing their days, etc. In fact, gonna just have this thread ad my only link to here, lol. I rarely go to twatter any more either, so I am off to there to dump all political folks I have been following, and stick with cute animal pics, beautiful photography, and try like hell to save myself. :)

Been keeping myself busy too. I think of the apt complex as jail. So I stay occupied doing stuff for others here. I am the youngest here....so I do alot for my new friends, who are in their 80's. Home decor ideas, painting, rearranging my furniture constantly, walking 6 floor steps to floor 1, riding elevator back up cuz I can't make it going UP. And I'm careful going down because if I fell....that's a long fall between floors..and its all cement. But at least I get my exercise. Can't do it outside...too many homeless crazies. Not just down on luck homeless folks..they are normal people in bad times. Its the crazies we all have to avoid and the shelter is across the damn street. On the other side of me is a motel for nothing but ex cons waiting to get housing somewhere...so its pretty noisy over there too. And lots of pit bulls they have. Pitties scare me. I know they can be great dogs, but they still can sense my fear. So...its 6 floors of steps instead of a nice walk amongst trees on a country road of safe neighborhoood, which this is NOT.

So....now that I am in the process of a new painting...I will check in when I can.

Hugs

I have been here at USMB less and less, mostly due to how depressing it is. Non stop barrage of bad news, and I'm having a hard time with dealing with our new administration in DC, and the negativity constantly going on. It brings me even more down than I already am.

Therefore....I think I will just stick to the Coffee Shop and visit since there is no politics, no bad stuff, no sad stuff, etc. Just a bunch of folks sharing their days, etc. In fact, gonna just have this thread ad my only link to here, lol. I rarely go to twatter any more either, so I am off to there to dump all political folks I have been following, and stick with cute animal pics, beautiful photography, and try like hell to save myself. :)

Been keeping myself busy too. I think of the apt complex as jail. So I stay occupied doing stuff for others here. I am the youngest here....so I do alot for my new friends, who are in their 80's. Home decor ideas, painting, rearranging my furniture constantly, walking 6 floor steps to floor 1, riding elevator back up cuz I can't make it going UP. And I'm careful going down because if I fell....that's a long fall between floors..and its all cement. But at least I get my exercise. Can't do it outside...too many homeless crazies. Not just down on luck homeless folks..they are normal people in bad times. Its the crazies we all have to avoid and the shelter is across the damn street. On the other side of me is a motel for nothing but ex cons waiting to get housing somewhere...so its pretty noisy over there too. And lots of pit bulls they have. Pitties scare me. I know they can be great dogs, but they still can sense my fear. So...its 6 floors of steps instead of a nice walk amongst trees on a country road of safe neighborhoood, which this is NOT.

So....now that I am in the process of a new painting...I will check in when I can.

Hugs
I agree Gracie. That's why I took a break from here, ie, the website. Just way too much... well... I won't go into it because I don't want it to sound political. Let's just say this place has far too many people I vehemently disagree with, and it just isn't necessary to let them ruin my day. I've checked back in here in the CS lately and it's still very pleasant. I was surprised to find some old friends still posting here as well.

A little while back I asked if anyone here was on Gab. Evidently no one, but I think it's a pretty cool place. Basically same as twitter, except conservatives don't get banned, and there's extremely few leftists. I'm @Real_Wyatt_Earp on there, if anyone is curious. Wyatt Earp (@Real_Wyatt_Earp) / Gab Social

Last edited:
Hi all. Been having an ongoing problem with the washing machine drain apparently backing up. After two snake jobs over the last year and a half had the plumbers come by and jet the the who system. They first snaked it, then ran a scope and we could see some roots and lots of built up sludge, those problems are taken care of. Was running the washing machine while they were here and sure enough it appeared to back up again. On closer inspection we determined the drain pipe itself was the culprit, most likely cracked.

Hugs
I agree Gracie. That's why I took a break from here, ie, the website. Just way too much... well... I won't go into it because I don't want it to sound political. Let's just say this place has far too many people I vehemently disagree with, and it just isn't necessary to let them ruin my day. I've checked back in here in the CS lately and it's still very pleasant. I was surprised to find some old friends still posting here as well.

A little while back I asked if anyone here was on Gab. Evidently no one, but I think it's a pretty cool place. Basically same as twitter, except conservatives don't get banned, and there's extremely few leftists. I'm @Real_Wyatt_Earp on there, if anyone is curious. Wyatt Earp (@Real_Wyatt_Earp) / Gab Social
I have an account at Gab, but rarely go any more. I just like to visit old and new friends here in the good atmosphere CoffeeShop. :)

But...now I am going to go play on the balconey. One of the residents gave me all her plants. Ill try to take a pic. Used to be all fake plants. Well..now they are all real, except for the trees in pots. Those are fake, and I wanted them for privacy. Old people have binoculars when bored, lol. Actually, so do I. But I don't look in their apartments. Still...some of the more bored, grumpy ones MIGHT. Hence..fake trees. This summer, at night I plan to sit out there in my undies and probably nothing else. I don't wanna give some old fart a heart attack seeing the One Boobed Wonder enjoying a summer night sitting in my patio chair, lol.

Beautress, I commend you for learning to swim in your 50's. As an adult, I have often wondered if I had been able to go out of town for year round training, like my teammates, whose parents drove them to a nearby city with world class swim programs, and 3 of whomwent to the Olympics, could I have made it to the Canadian team? I was a summer swimmer - my mother didn't even own a car.

The ribbons and medals were more good luck than good management. Swimming lessons were free in my town when I was growing up. So was swim team. All you needed was a Speedo and a bathing cap. The Kiwanis Club and the YMCA funded the swimming lessons and paid for the coaches, and they were AMAZING coaches. My memories of swim team are connected to some of the happiest times in my childhood.

My father died when I was 11, after a long illness, which I learned of when I was 9 years old. The last 6 months of his life, I spent with family because my mother was with him night and day at the hospital. In the days before universal health care, the costs of his hospitalization and treatment, wiped my parents out financially. My mother had to take out a loan to put a stone on his grave. Swim team was my outlet, and my escape, and the "normal" part of that time in my life. And I was really good at it. Sports are way more fun when your team wins ALL of the time, which our team mostly did. It's fun to be a consistent winner.

It also taught me a work ethic - how to establish goals and work towards them. That nothing of value is accomplished without a lot of hard work. I was kind of a shy, skinny kid, but at the pool, when teams were picked, I was always one of the first ones picked. I was the anchor for the relay team. It built my confidence. My mother used to say that I could do anything I set me mind to, and at the pool, her words came true. Those values have given me a good living throughout my life.

Back in Kansas I was Executive Director of a large social agency that included, with other things, an almost Olympic sized indoor pool offering recreational swimming, swim lessons, and certified Red Cross lifeguard and SWI training. I've always loved to swim though never competitively. But just in case I was needed I did take the training and got my lifeguard and SWI certifications courtesy of my HPER staff.

I found out that kids almost instinctively learn to swim quite effortlessly and for the vast majority fearlessly. Those afraid of the water, we learned how to slowly and methodically teach them to overcome that fear. We even had infant programs where babies and very young toddlers were carefully and slowly introduced to the water. When submerged the babies quickly, almost instinctively learned to hold their breath and kick for the surface and tread water long enough for an adult to get to them. A little insurance against drowning in an unexpected mishap. (Know what you're doing before trying this with your kids and grandkids at home though please.)

Few non swimming adults have the natural instincts most kids do, but most can learn even at middle age or in their senior years. I had no success with adults of any age who were really afraid of the water though. It is a powerful phobia.

Last edited:

Back in Kansas I was Executive Director of a large social agency that included, with other things, an almost Olympic sized indoor pool offering recreational swimming, swim lessons, and certified Red Cross lifeguard and SWI training. I've always loved to swim though never competitively. But just in case I was needed I did take the training and got my lifeguard and SWI certifications courtesy of my HPER staff.

I found out that kids almost instinctively learn to swim quite effortlessly and for the vast majority fearlessly. Those afraid of the water, we learned how to slowly and methodically teach them to overcome that fear. We even had infant programs where babies and very young toddlers were carefully and slowly introduced to the water. When submerged the babies quickly, almost instinctively learned to kick for the surface and tread water long enough for an adult to get to them. A little insurance against drowning in an unexpected mishap. (Know what you're doing before trying this with your kids and grandkids at home though please.)

Few non swimming adults have the natural instincts most kids do, but most can learn even at middle age or in their senior years. I had no success with adults of any age who were really afraid of the water though. It is a powerful phobia.

You have to be a really strong swimmer to pass that lifeguard test Foxfyre. I tried to get recertified in my 50's, and I could do everything but the 25 foot plunge. I kept coming up right around 20 feet and travelled no further. I could even do the speed swim because I was training with a Masters Swim team so I had no trouble with a speed test.

In my late 40's, when I was training with the Swim Club, I would go to public fitness swims on the days when the Club didn't train. While I swam in the "medium speed lane", with the Swim Club, the guys in our "fast lane" were going out for the Olympic trials and the only other woman in the medium lane was winning Masters World Championships.

When I went out to public lane swims. I swam in the fast lane. And invariably, some hard bodied 20 something, would see me putting my hat and googles on, take no note of the Speedo at all, and say "This is the Fast Lane. You should move to a slower lane." I would wait for them to swim away, and then catch up and pass them. I was waiting at the other end of the pool for the guy to finish his lap. There was one young man, nice 6-pack, who had arrived at the pool at the same time I did, and had only done 2 laps in his workout, but when he was lapped by a middle aged grandma, he left the pool.

One of my swimming friends is a woman I used to compete against as a kid. I never beat her. Nobody did. Not in Canada. She had a similar clown say virtually the same thing to her, but in her case somebody at her home pool (where she is worshipped as a legend of the sport), grabbed the guy and said "Don't you know who that is? That's PATTY, FUCKING, THOMPSON. It was all she could do not to laugh out loud at the "PATTY, FUCKING THOMPSON". The young man turned white, apologized, and ran away.

Putting arrogant young twits in their place, just never gets old.

I found out that kids almost instinctively learn to swim quite effortlessly and for the vast majority fearlessly. Those afraid of the water, we learned how to slowly and methodically teach them to overcome that fear. We even had infant programs where babies and very young toddlers were carefully and slowly introduced to the water. When submerged the babies quickly, almost instinctively learned to kick for the surface and tread water long enough for an adult to get to them. A little insurance against drowning in an unexpected mishap. (Know what you're doing before trying this with your kids and grandkids at home though please.)

You have to be a really strong swimmer to pass that lifeguard test Foxfyre. I tried to get recertified in my 50's, and I could do everything but the 25 foot plunge. I kept coming up right around 20 feet and travelled no further. I could even do the speed swim because I was training with a Masters Swim team so I had no trouble with a speed test.

In my late 40's, when I was training with the Swim Club, I would go to public fitness swims on the days when the Club didn't train. While I swam in the "medium speed lane", with the Swim Club, the guys in our "fast lane" were going out for the Olympic trials and the only other woman in the medium lane was winning Masters World Championships.

When I went out to public lane swims. I swam in the fast lane. And invariably, some hard bodied 20 something, would see me putting my hat and googles on, take no note of the Speedo at all, and say "This is the Fast Lane. You should move to a slower lane." I would wait for them to swim away, and then catch up and pass them. I was waiting at the other end of the pool for the guy to finish his lap. There was one young man, nice 6-pack, who had arrived at the pool at the same time I did, and had only done 2 laps in his workout, but when he was lapped by a middle aged grandma, he left the pool.

One of my swimming friends is a woman I used to compete against as a kid. I never beat her. Nobody did. Not in Canada. She had a similar clown say virtually the same thing to her, but in her case somebody at her home pool (where she is worshipped as a legend of the sport), grabbed the guy and said "Don't you know who that is? That's PATTY, FUCKING, THOMPSON. It was all she could do not to laugh out loud at the "PATTY, FUCKING THOMPSON". The young man turned white, apologized, and ran away.

Putting arrogant young twits in their place, just never gets old.

Yes, no way could I get recertified now. My ears won't let me submerge more than a few feet without extreme discomfort and I no longer have the strength or stamina I had then. As for qualifying for SWI forget it. I can still swim though. :)

Hi all. Been having an ongoing problem with the washing machine drain apparently backing up. After two snake jobs over the last year and a half had the plumbers come by and jet the the who system. They first snaked it, then ran a scope and we could see some roots and lots of built up sludge, those problems are taken care of. Was running the washing machine while they were here and sure enough it appeared to back up again. On closer inspection we determined the drain pipe itself was the culprit, most likely cracked.

Some of those problems can be maddening to find the solution. We had a hot water leak one time and worried how much floor the plumber would have to tear out to find it. He nailed it with the first drill and fixed it with no problem.

The next water leak we had, the plumber drilled holes all over the house until he finally found it in the sprinkler system in the back yard.

Some of those problems can be maddening to find the solution. We had a hot water leak one time and worried how much floor the plumber would have to tear out to find it. He nailed it with the first drill and fixed it with no problem.

The next water leak we had, the plumber drilled holes all over the house until he finally found it in the sprinkler system in the back yard.
The estimate for replacing the washing machine drain line was emailed to me, I almost choked!! Think I might be doing this myself..........

Forum List

Back