USMB Book Club?

Just finished Follett's latest trilogy and today will start "The Sleepwalkers" with another Follett in the stack below that.

As much as I have enjoyed Follett he has yet to better his "Pillars of The Earth".

And that's about the most in-depth discussion of books I feel appropriate to our vast liberal membership who are still sounding out the text of "Animal Farm".

drifter - Great idea. I think it might work if you state rules against flaming and trolling. ^^^

You'll probably have to do some babysitting but you could get support from admin and mods.

Just finished Follett's latest trilogy and today will start "The Sleepwalkers" with another Follett in the stack below that.

As much as I have enjoyed Follett he has yet to better his "Pillars of The Earth".

And that's about the most in-depth discussion of books I feel appropriate to our vast liberal membership who are still sounding out the text of "Animal Farm".

drifter - Great idea. I think it might work if you state rules against flaming and trolling. ^^^

You'll probably have to do some babysitting but you could get support from admin and mods.

Thanks, what kind of books do you like?

Which one would you like to read a s a group to have a discussion thread about?

Here are some new book releases :

America's Bitter Pill: Money, Politics, Back-Room Deals, and the Fight to Fix Our Broken Healthcare System
Americaā€™s Bitter Pill is Steven Brillā€™s much-anticipated, sweeping narrative of how the Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare, was written, how it is being implemented, and, most important, how it is changingā€”and failing to changeā€”the rampant abuses in the healthcare industry. Brill probed the depths of our nationā€™s healthcare crisis in his trailblazing Time magazine Special Report, which won the 2014 National Magazine Award for Public Interest. Now he broadens his lens and delves deeper, pulling no punches and taking no prisoners.

The Girl on the Train: A Novel
A debut psychological thriller that will forever change the way you look at other people's lives.

Rachel takes the same commuter train every morning. Every day she rattles down the track, flashes past a stretch of cozy suburban homes, and stops at the signal that allows her to daily watch the same couple breakfasting on their deck. Sheā€™s even started to feel like she knows them. ā€œJess and Jason,ā€ she calls them. Their lifeā€”as she sees itā€”is perfect. Not unlike the life she recently lost.

And then she sees something shocking. Itā€™s only a minute until the train moves on, but itā€™s enough. Now everythingā€™s changed. Unable to keep it to herself, Rachel offers what she knows to the police, and becomes inextricably entwined in what happens next, as well as in the lives of everyone involved. Has she done more harm than good?

Compulsively readable, The Girl on the Train is an emotionally immersive, Hitchcockian thriller and an electrifying debut.

Golden Son: Book II of the Red Rising Trilogy
As a Red, Darrow grew up working the mines deep beneath the surface of Mars, enduring backbreaking labor while dreaming of the better future he was building for his descendants. But the Society he faithfully served was built on lies. Darrowā€™s kind have been betrayed and denied by their elitist masters, the Goldsā€”and their only path to liberation is revolution. And so Darrow sacrifices himself in the name of the greater good for which Eo, his true love and inspiration, laid down her own life. He becomes a Gold, infiltrating their privileged realm so that he can destroy it from within.

A lamb among wolves in a cruel world, Darrow finds friendship, respect, and even loveā€”but also the wrath of powerful rivals. To wage and win the war that will change humankindā€™s destiny, Darrow must confront the treachery arrayed against him, overcome his all-too-human desire for retributionā€”and strive not for violent revolt but a hopeful rebirth. Though the road ahead is fraught with danger and deceit, Darrow must choose to follow Eoā€™s principles of love and justice to free his people.

Hall of Mirrors: The Great Depression, The Great Recession, and the Uses-and Misuses-of History

The two great financial crises of the past century are the Great Depression of the 1930s and the Great Recession, which began in 2008. Both occurred against the backdrop of sharp credit booms, dubious banking practices, and a fragile and unstable global financial system. When markets went into cardiac arrest in 2008, policymakers invoked the lessons of the Great Depression in attempting to avert the worst. While their response prevented a financial collapse and catastrophic depression like that of the 1930s, unemployment in the U.S. and Europe still rose to excruciating high levels. Pain and suffering were widespread.

The question, given this, is why didn't policymakers do better? Hall of Mirrors, Barry Eichengreen's monumental twinned history of the two crises, provides the farthest-reaching answer to this question to date. Alternating back and forth between the two crises and between North America and Europe, Eichengreen shows how fear of another Depression following the collapse of Lehman Brothers shaped policy responses on both continents, with both positive and negative results. Since bank failures were a prominent feature of the Great Depression, policymakers moved quickly to strengthen troubled banks. But because derivatives markets were not important in the 1930s, they missed problems in the so-called shadow banking system. Having done too little to support spending in the 1930s, governments also ramped up public spending this time around. But the response was indiscriminate and quickly came back to haunt overly indebted governments, particularly in Southern Europe. Moreover, because politicians overpromised, and because their measures failed to stave off a major recession, a backlash quickly developed against activist governments and central banks. Policymakers then prematurely succumbed to the temptation to return to normal policies before normal conditions had returned. The result has been a grindingly slow recovery in the United States and endless recession in Europe.

Which one would you like to read as a group to have a discussion thread about?

For those who have never read Follett and have any interest in architecture or medieval history I'd suggest "Pillars of The Earth". I once organized a tour that had reading that book as a requirement. It went to Stonehenge, Winchester Cathedral (Norman), York Minster (Gothic) and Salisbury Cathedral (extreme Gothic) with NO emphasis on the religion, rather on the design and construction techniques.

If there were enough interest and if the discussion took things in that direction it might be possible to re-create that tour at surprisingly low cost. No, I don't sell tours. If anything like that happened I would provide suggestions for transportation and lodging based on experience. Of course a schedule that would bring and keep the group together.

Which one would you like to read as a group to have a discussion thread about?

For those who have never read Follett and have any interest in architecture or medieval history I'd suggest "Pillars of The Earth". I once organized a tour that had reading that book as a requirement. It went to Stonehenge, Winchester Cathedral (Norman), York Minster (Gothic) and Salisbury Cathedral (extreme Gothic) with NO emphasis on the religion, rather on the design and construction techniques.

If there were enough interest and if the discussion took things in that direction it might be possible to re-create that tour at surprisingly low cost. No, I don't sell tours. If anything like that happened I would provide suggestions for transportation and lodging based on experience. Of course a schedule that would bring and keep the group together.

I do like architecture, have not really got into medieval era but if there were others interested I would read the book.

How was the tour, do you have any photos from it that you could share?

I'd participate. It would be nice to discuss a book on here instead of ranting about politics.

How to Start a Book Club :What types of books will your club primarily read? Fiction? Non-fiction? One particular genre, such as romance, bestsellers or biographies? Will you rotate through themes each month, like Asian literature, travel books or classics?

Got the idea from Oprah :lol:, still, it could be nice if people really wanted to.

Your Virtual Meeting Place
Online book clubs are growing in popularity, and you can invite friends from around the world to join you. As an Oprah.com member, you can start your own discussion thread anytime. You never have to worry about a meeting space, appetizers or cleaning upā€”and your favorite people can drop in anytime!

The challenge is to make sure members are reading at roughly the same speed so no one gives away the juicy parts! Before you post a message or answer someone's question, read the responses you've missed so you know how far everyone's read.

Take a vote. After everyone has presented their suggestions take a vote on each title. If you have a tie, have another vote.

Having discussion questions before your book club meets will help facilitate a good discussion of your book. As you read each novel, jot down page numbers and passages that moved you and where you found answers to the discussion questions. That way, you can easily share them with the group later on.

Don't feel you have to talk about each question! If the group doesn't have a lot to say about a topic or doesn't seem interested in the question, move on to a question that gets them talking. Or better yet, see if any one in the group has a question they'd like to discuss.

Read more: How to Start Your Own Book Club

If you can't find discussion questions for the book your group is reading, use these general questions to get the group talking. Encourage each member to ask his/her own questions, too!

1. The circumstance that sets the book in motion is called the inciting moment. What was the inciting moment of this book?

2. Describe the character development. Who did you identify with? Did your opinions about any of the characters change over the course of the novel?

3. How does the author use language and imagery to bring the characters to life? Did the book's characters or style in any way remind you of another book?

4. What do you believe is the message the author is trying to convey to the reader? What did you learn from this book? Was it educational in any way?

5. Why do you think the author chose the title? Is there a significant meaning behind it?

6. Is there a part of the novel you didn't understand? Are you confused by a character's actions or the outcome of an event?

7. Do you think the setting, both time and location, played a large roll in this novel? Could it have happened anywhere, at anytime? If so, how would the novel have changed?

8. In your opinion, is the book entertaining? Explain why or why not.

9. What is your favorite passage?

10. How did this book touch your life? Can you relate to it on any level?

I do like architecture, have not really got into medieval era but if there were others interested I would read the book.

How was the tour, do you have any photos from it that you could share?

The one thing I forgot to mention is that "Pillars" is old enough that one can pick up a copy in a thrift shop for somewhere between 25-cents and 3-dollars....if they ask more offer three and walk away if they won't take it.

The tour I mentioned was many years ago. I go to England once, sometimes twice each year - mainly for the architecture. I'll add a few pix, some of my own but some from Google Images as my originals from back then are on slides I've never scanned:

web-minster.jpg
Winchester-Cathedral.jpg
salisbury-cathedral.jpg

Top Left, York Minster
Top Right, Winchester Cathedral (saved from collapse by a deep-sea diver)
Bottom, Salisbury Cathedral (spire too tall, constantly threatened with tumbling)

Attachments

• salisbury-cathedral.jpg
    salisbury-cathedral.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 99
It would be neat to do a tour like that, perhaps when I graduate college my sweetheart will pay for that kind of vacation as a graduation gift :lol:

Great pics btw!

I'd participate. It would be nice to discuss a book on here instead of ranting about politics.

How to Start a Book Club :What types of books will your club primarily read? Fiction? Non-fiction? One particular genre, such as romance, bestsellers or biographies? Will you rotate through themes each month, like Asian literature, travel books or classics?

Got the idea from Oprah :lol:, still, it could be nice if people really wanted to.

Online book clubs are growing in popularity, and you can invite friends from around the world to join you. As an Oprah.com member, you can start your own discussion thread anytime. You never have to worry about a meeting space, appetizers or cleaning upā€”and your favorite people can drop in anytime!

The challenge is to make sure members are reading at roughly the same speed so no one gives away the juicy parts! Before you post a message or answer someone's question, read the responses you've missed so you know how far everyone's read.

Take a vote. After everyone has presented their suggestions take a vote on each title. If you have a tie, have another vote.

Having discussion questions before your book club meets will help facilitate a good discussion of your book. As you read each novel, jot down page numbers and passages that moved you and where you found answers to the discussion questions. That way, you can easily share them with the group later on.

Don't feel you have to talk about each question! If the group doesn't have a lot to say about a topic or doesn't seem interested in the question, move on to a question that gets them talking. Or better yet, see if any one in the group has a question they'd like to discuss.

I think fiction best seller's or fiction classics would be good. Classics might be better since people that may have already read the book would be able to participate without having to do anything. But fiction best seller's might be good for attracting people who want to read new material.

I vote for fiction classic; and that includes drama, fantasy, comedy, mystery, horror, sci-fi, and anything else you can think of... it just has to be a must-read classic.

I might be interested.

What kind of subjects do you enjoy reading?

I can bore you in ten seconds flat. The plus side is that it bores the rest of the world and I can pick up the books on the cheap. :biggrin:

I read history mostly and the last year has consisted of late antiquity, early American, old West/Frontier.
I am currently reading From Boys to Men: Formations of masculinity in late medieval Europe by Ruth Mazo Karras.

I don't usually read fiction anymore but I like Junot Diaz. I used to read fiction and then I just lost interest.

I am open.

I might be interested.

What kind of subjects do you enjoy reading?

I can bore you in ten seconds flat. The plus side is that it bores the rest of the world and I can pick up the books on the cheap. :biggrin:

I read history mostly and the last year has consisted of late antiquity, early American, old West/Frontier.
I am currently reading From Boys to Men: Formations of masculinity in late medieval Europe by Ruth Mazo Karras.

I don't usually read fiction anymore but I like Junot Diaz. I used to read fiction and then I just lost interest.

I am open.

You might like this A People s History of the United States and this The Macho Paradox Jackson Katz

I personally ag

I think fiction best seller's or fiction classics would be good. Classics might be better since people that may have already read the book would be able to participate without having to do anything. But fiction best seller's might be good for attracting people who want to read new material.

I vote for fiction classic; and that includes drama, fantasy, comedy, mystery, horror, sci-fi, and anything else you can think of... it just has to be a must-read classic.

I personally agree with you, plus I have required reading all the time, so for me fiction might be a pleasant escape, especially new books that no one has read yet.

I just wondered if there was an interest.

I personally ag

I personally agree with you, plus I have required reading all the time, so for me fiction might be a pleasant escape, especially new books that no one has read yet.

Start up a thread with some books to vote for. We'll see what kind of response it gets and see if it'll get going.

Maybe you could google some top 10 book lists or something like that for the first selections to vote on.

I personally ag

Start up a thread with some books to vote for. We'll see what kind of response it gets and see if it'll get going.

Maybe you could google some top 10 book lists or something like that for the first selections to vote on.

I am at school right now (library), I will when I get home.

If you want to make the poll you can in another thread, you can I am open!

Otherwise I will finish my homework, go to gym and then go home and make it (((hugs)))

Forum List

Back