Use Cloth Diapers Folks

Baby formula isn't usually based on cow's milk. It's a soy-based compound. And if you want kids breastfed, use YOUR breasts for it instead of telling other people what to do with theirs.

lady, i don't know what i posted that deserves such an angry response and don't really care. i was a student of robert s. mendelsohn, md, a chicago pediatrician who was a big advocate of natural childbirth and breast feeding. merely carrying on a tradition by recommending breast feeding. and trust me, if my breasts could manufacture milk, i would certainly feed it to a human infant.

Cloth diapers, on the other hand, leave the waste next to the baby's skin, and if you don't want to have your house be unsanitary with all the leaks, you have to put plastic pants on over them, which them increases the chance of severe diaper rash. No thanks.

Where do you think the poop goes in a disposable? Do you think that disposable diapers just make it magically disappear? When your baby uses the diaper, you change them. Presto! No more gross stuff making contact with your babies skin.

It sounds like there's some really lazy parents out there who would rather make their child sit in a dirty diaper all day.

Where do you think the poop goes from a cloth diaper? Do you think flushing it down the toilet or washing it out in your washing machine makes it magically disappear? And shockingly, one does not always WANT to change the baby every single time he urinates, such as when he's asleep at night. Do you really think it's good for him for me to wake him up every couple of hours just to change his pants? And if one is truly concerned about the environment, do you really think that increased level of water usage and polluting is remarkably better for the planet than biodegradable disposable diapers are?

It sounds to ME like there are some really lazy thinkers out there who would rather make sweeping criticisms of others than consider the realities of parenting.

Baby formula isn't usually based on cow's milk. It's a soy-based compound. And if you want kids breastfed, use YOUR breasts for it instead of telling other people what to do with theirs.

lady, i don't know what i posted that deserves such an angry response and don't really care. i was a student of robert s. mendelsohn, md, a chicago pediatrician who was a big advocate of natural childbirth and breast feeding. merely carrying on a tradition by recommending breast feeding. and trust me, if my breasts could manufacture milk, i would certainly feed it to a human infant.

I'm very glad you were a student of someone with a personal opinion on the subject. I'M a mother who gets almighty tired of other people superciliously preaching to me about how I should raise MY children according to THEIR biases, because THEY know so much better about how it should be done. I especially get tired of it from people who will never be in the position of having to do it themselves.

By the way, I think if I'd had a problem like the OP's with disposable diapers, I'd have gone and talked to the pediatrician, because that isn't even REMOTELY common. All three of my kids have used disposable diapers, with no difficulties whatsoever. Cloth diapers, on the other hand, leave the waste next to the baby's skin, reportedly, and if you don't want to have your house be unsanitary with all the leaks, you have to put plastic pants on over them, which them increases the chance of severe diaper rash. No thanks.

I never ever had the same problem with cloth diapers and plastic pants as I had with disposables, but yes, you are correct -- most folks can use them without harm to their baby. The new P & G "extra-absorbent" disposables evidentially have a new ingredient that does create a higher risk to the baby of skin problems, and some have reportedly been quite severe.

Cloth diapers, on the other hand, leave the waste next to the baby's skin, reportedly,....

Quite true. I'm given to understand from new parents that a baby in a disposable at say, age one month, need only be changed a few times a day. Such a baby in a cloth diaper needs changing much more often...about as often as you feed him or her. And I gather this is one reason that many day care centers refuse to allow babies in their care to wear cloth diapers. But if you stay at home, cloth is better...and even for babies in day care, cloth is better WHILE at home.

New parents these days do not ever seem to pause and reflect on what type diaper to use, as if cloth diapers are just too declasse' to even consider. The knee-jerk reach for disposables makes me wonder if new parents think cloth diapers harken back to ye olde stone age, when really, they are just as convenient (wrap the dirty diaper inside a plastic baggy till you can wash it...no odor or mess). They're far less expensive, especially if you plan to have another baby later. And without a doubt, cloth diapers are far better for Mother Earth.

Yanno, the planet that baby is going to have to live on as an adult?

Sorry, but I'm a lot more interested in my baby's welfare than I am in some mythological, lofty need to "save the planet". The planet is big enough to take care of itself. My baby isn't. Besides, disposables are biodegradable now. And cloth diapers are diaper rash waiting to happen.

Your baby is BETTER OFF in cloth diapers, Cecilie. And your attitude towards the pollution caused by disposables is shocking in one so young -- I thought most young adults were Greenies?

Glance through a few factoids, miss:

diapers environmental pollution

YOUR CHOICE DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE! Disposables VS. Cloth Diapers

Diapers - Cloth Diapers vs. Disposable Diapers

Buying disposables is a behavior inculcated in new parents by intensive advertising and/or the pressures exerted by day care options. Disposables serve NO ONE else's interest, Cecilie.

I truely do envy your Mommy her new grandbaby. I want one of my own very badly. But miss, responsible parenting is not about tunnel vision, ignoring any impact your decisions have on everyone else, or the long-range impact they will have on your child as he or she grows up.

Many blessings on your family. I am not bashing you -- I just urge you to give the matter more thought.

I'm very glad you were a student of someone with a personal opinion on the subject. I'M a mother who gets almighty tired of other people superciliously preaching to me about how I should raise MY children according to THEIR biases, because THEY know so much better about how it should be done. I especially get tired of it from people who will never be in the position of having to do it themselves.

strike two mama. ordinarily i'd get nasty here and make a crack about PMS or lackanooky syndrome. that will only serve to enflame you and have some other uptight man hater jump in with her two red hot coppers

you're angry and unhappy. your husband and children have my sincerest sympathies.
i'll pray for you to overcome your anger and find some joy.

now go have a hissy fit on somebody else, please.

Babies aren't the only ones in diapers. Countless nursing homes all across the country use disposable adult diapers.

My kidlet was born in August, and I took her home with me to a house with no a/c. As a baby present, one of my cousins sent me a case of disposable diapers, but after using one on her I gave them away -- because after using one, when I went to change her, she had a first degree burn where the plastic had been bonded to her delicate skin by urine.

Well, flash forward to 2010. You new parents have better washers and dryers than I did. They still sell diaper pails, and baby pee or shit is not exactly the End of The World. Stop using disposable diapers, folks. It is bad for Planet Earth and terrible for the baby.

Parents claim new diapers cause severe rashes | kens5.com | San Antonio News, Weather, Sports, Traffic, Entertainment, Video and Photos

http://www.mothering.com/articles/new_baby/diapers/politics.html

proctor&gamble poisoned products

I never did understand why it was supposed to be easier to use disposables. Buck this evil trend, and use cloth diapers on your babies.

I'm the oldest amongst my siblings, and my mom used the cloth ones on me and the disposable ones on the rest. When I was born the disposable ones were around but very expensive.

She has told me the horror stories of cloth diapers. It sounds like the most disgusting thing the world. Soaking them in the toilet bowl to get the crap to loosen and come out? Yuck. I'm told my dad accidentally took a dump on my soaking diaper once.

My kidlet was born in August, and I took her home with me to a house with no a/c. As a baby present, one of my cousins sent me a case of disposable diapers, but after using one on her I gave them away -- because after using one, when I went to change her, she had a first degree burn where the plastic had been bonded to her delicate skin by urine.

Well, flash forward to 2010. You new parents have better washers and dryers than I did. They still sell diaper pails, and baby pee or shit is not exactly the End of The World. Stop using disposable diapers, folks. It is bad for Planet Earth and terrible for the baby.

Parents claim new diapers cause severe rashes | kens5.com | San Antonio News, Weather, Sports, Traffic, Entertainment, Video and Photos

I never did understand why it was supposed to be easier to use disposables. Buck this evil trend, and use cloth diapers on your babies.

If your "kidlet" is pissing acid you have bigger problems than figuring what kind of diapers to use.

strike two mama. ordinarily i'd get nasty here and make a crack about PMS or lackanooky syndrome. that will only serve to enflame you and have some other uptight man hater jump in with her two red hot coppers

you're angry and unhappy. your husband and children have my sincerest sympathies.
i'll pray for you to overcome your anger and find some joy.

now go have a hissy fit on somebody else, please.

Before dumping on Cecilie, walk a mile in her shoes, tommywho. Advice from Dr Phil, from strangers in grocery stores, from the other new Mommies, fro the La Leche League, from the ether.....new parents get told "my way or you are failing" ALL the time and Mommies take the brunt of it. Everyone is so fucking sure that they're right and whatever the new parents are doing is WRONG. It gets OLD.

My Mommy had Dr Spock (don't breast feed, and put the baby on a rigid schedule of bottle feeding.)

I had the back to Nature wing nuts. (Don't take drugs to deliver and video the entire proceedings as if anyone will ever want to watch that.)

New parents whose babies are healthy and happy are doing it right, even if they are using kudzu leaves for diapers.

I hope I didn't add to the bullshit level in anyone's life with this thread, especially not a woman sleep deprived from feeding a newborn every twenty minutes.

If your "kidlet" is pissing acid you have bigger problems than figuring what kind of diapers to use.

The pH of urine is acidic, PatekPhilippe. I suppose you've never changed a diaper or you would know this.

I have twins who are now 15 years old. There is NO practical way to use cloth diapers with twins or higher order multiples---not unless it is absolutely necessary--and/or unless one has a DAILY diaper service to pick up the massive piles of smellies EVERY DAY.

I was feeding every two hours, round the clock....and those babies didn't synchronize their schedules until they were about 6 months old.

"Wake up the sleepy baby and feed both at the same time" they all said....hell, that baby's 15 and I'm STILL trying to drag sleeping baby out of bed.....

I caught 15 minute catnaps between feeds, that's about all the sleep I got for 6 months. There is NO WAY IN HELL I could have washed, dryed and folded diapers on top of the feed, burp, change, make bottles wash clothes schedule as it was.

Nice idea. Totally not practical across the board. There is NO once size fits all solution to this issue.

Sorry your baby had problems with the Pampers....but just because SHE did doesn't mean ALL babies should go to cloth.

I have twins who are now 15 years old. There is NO practical way to use cloth diapers with twins or higher order multiples---not unless it is absolutely necessary--and/or unless one has a DAILY diaper service to pick up the massive piles of smellies EVERY DAY.

I was feeding every two hours, round the clock....and those babies didn't synchronize their schedules until they were about 6 months old.

"Wake up the sleepy baby and feed both at the same time" they all said....hell, that baby's 15 and I'm STILL trying to drag sleeping baby out of bed.....

I caught 15 minute catnaps between feeds, that's about all the sleep I got for 6 months. There is NO WAY IN HELL I could have washed, dryed and folded diapers on top of the feed, burp, change, make bottles wash clothes schedule as it was.

Nice idea. Totally not practical across the board. There is NO once size fits all solution to this issue.

Sorry your baby had problems with the Pampers....but just because SHE did doesn't mean ALL babies should go to cloth.

JenyEliza, of course there is no "one size fits all" solution. But even by the late 1970's when my kidlet was born, cloth diapers were so declasse' I got weird looks and unwelcome lectures. I'd be shocked if there's a diaper service left anywhere in the US.

15 year old TWINS? I will light a candle for you, miss.

*Ponders double teenagers*

Yikes! Bless you and yours, JenyEliza.

Now, I am actually working on potty training, but not having to buy diapers is still at least a year off. We have just established when he goes poopie. So, right now I get to wake up to my son telling me, " Poopie mommy". Which is a great way to wake up. :lol:

Years ago I used diaper alarm to potty train my nephew. His parents tried & tried to train him. I got tired of pee or poop on my carpet while watching him every day. I got this diaper alarm that made a train noise as soon as it sensed moisture. I had that boy trained in a week. As soon as I heard that noise I grabbed him & set him on his little toilet & he figured it out fast. The other kids were no problem just that one.

I couldn't potty train anyone. My kidlet was a fashion victim -- she saw some pretty panties in a store and asked for them. I told her only big girls could wear them, as they used the toilet. She never peed herself again after that.

This is a true story, I swear. She was the easiest baby on Planet Earth.

I believe she made up for that later though...I feel I have earned my "Mommy" badge by now, LOL.

Forum List

Back