US v. OPEC

I don't insult thoughtful, knowledgeable, intelligent posters. You always strike me as determined to prove you are none of them.

Sounds like you're saying that "thoughtful, knowledgeable, intelligent posters" are just people who agree with you.

US OPEC imports have declined significantly (chart below) as increased American (US, Canada & Mexico) oil and gas production has left foreign producers - many of whom depend on their oil to "fuel" their economies - scrambling to find customers. They have not maintained production levels in order to flood the market but rather in a desperate attempt to maintain some revenue stream despite falling prices. OPEC not only no longer sets the price for oil globally, the members are increasingly undercutting each other.
Rather than the evil cartel's price-fixing we have a supply and demand market.
Ain't free markets great?

First point in my unintelligent, unknowledgeable post...

OPEC oil production has been RISING.

Saudi oil production. It's higher than it's been in decades.

The US might be reducing imports. But this isn't about the US. The US still imports HALF of all the oil it uses. So the US can only produce half of what it needs..

Thoughtful, intelligent, knowledgeable people use actual facts to form their opinions. The chart above clearly shows we do not import half but rather 1/3 of our oil needs - mostly from Canada and Mexico and we currently pump enough from the ground to cover all our needs. Saudi Arabia - like all the countries that depend on oil to fuel their economies - must pump more to maintain the revenues necessary to stay afloat.

oilimports.jpg

Things are changing. It depends when your chart is from. As the US economy gets stronger the US will use more oil, for example. This from 2014 shows 50/50.

However getting pedantic about statistics isn't really the aim of this, is it? It doesn't matter if the US imports 1/3 1/4 1/2 of imports. The point I was referring to was that the US can't sell oil abroad. Why would the US need to sell oil abroad when it CANNOT produce enough oil for domestic use?

But while we're being pedantic about facts, and you're claiming to be thoughtful, knowledgeable and all that stuff

oil-imports.png

Your claim that most comes from Canada and Mexico, well, Mexico is FOURTH on the list of countries selling to the US. The Saudis and Venezuelans are higher up that list. Oh, well, you didn't get that did you?

How'd you like them apples?

The Saudis might be getting more money from pumping more. However you've ignored what a LOT of commentators on this have been saying. You stick your head under the ground and pretend you're more knowledgeable that these guys.

Saudi Oil Output Rising Amid Fight for Market Share

Watch the video.

Saudi Oil Output Rising Amid Fight for Market Share

"Saudi Arabia is quietly telling the oil market it would be comfortable with much lower oil prices for an extended period, a sharp shift in policy that may be aimed at slowing the expansion of rival producers including those in the U.S. shale patch."

Saudi Arabia oil: What next? - BBC News

"It also appeared to be willing to accept the lower price due to the pressure it puts on higher cost competitors, notably the growing shale oil business in the US."

Saudi Arabia bets its future on 'Berlin or Bust' oil strategy

"
World's largest oil exporter is forcing prices lower to win back market share but the high-risk strategy will test the house of Saud like never before"

"Oil equals political power and influence for Saudi Arabia and a seat at the table of the world’s most powerful nations at the G20. Despite the colossal risks, something had to be done to reverse the tilt towards high-cost production coming from the US and elsewhere to maintain Saudi Arabia’s dominance as the so called global “swing producer”."

Saudis can operate below cost at 20 dollar a barrel....enough, they think, to push our rig count down so that prices will bounce back up to 80. Profits are very marginal for operators here at 40-50 a barrel. However, we're becoming more and more efficient at running profits on lower per barrel ie quicker drilling, less time on site, rig moves etc. Another cycle or two and we'll be exerting more control over the saudis. Their play is done. That's all they have. We haven't even touched one percent yet.

Possibly. That depends though, it might all go wrong before then.

Crude prices hit $8/barrel during the Clinton administration. Not only could he have given a flying fuck, he allowed foreign countries to dump yet more crude on our country at prices below their cost. That's illegal.

But there wasn't much of anything legal bout Bill or his wife. Was there? :dunno:

Well I'm not sure what you're getting out. Clinton was the politicians politician, everything was about how he looked. His wife is different, less charismatic, smarter, but still a politician's politician.

As you have chosen to characterize Bill Clinton...the most popular elected Democrat....in those terms.....

...I wonder why you choose to overlook his being a racist and a rapist?

This was the US v. OPEC. How the hell do you move things so far in so few posts as to make it about Bill Clinton?

Hmmmm.....you wrote this: "Well I'm not sure what you're getting out. Clinton was the politicians politician,...."

You don't recognize who brought the rapist/racist up?

Short term memory loss?
There are medications that can help....speak to your doctor to see if they're right for you.

Then if you read the previous post someone else brought up Clinton, and then you saw "clinton" and then you simply replied to this one word, and ignored the rest of the thread. Well done you.

Gads....you're tap-dancing as fast as you can to avoid the query...
"...I wonder why you choose to overlook his being a racist and a rapist?"

Hmmmmm?

Well I'm not sure what you're getting out. Clinton was the politicians politician, everything was about how he looked. His wife is different, less charismatic, smarter, but still a politician's politician.

As you have chosen to characterize Bill Clinton...the most popular elected Democrat....in those terms.....

This was the US v. OPEC. How the hell do you move things so far in so few posts as to make it about Bill Clinton?

Hmmmm.....you wrote this: "Well I'm not sure what you're getting out. Clinton was the politicians politician,...."

Short term memory loss?
There are medications that can help....speak to your doctor to see if they're right for you.

Then if you read the previous post someone else brought up Clinton, and then you saw "clinton" and then you simply replied to this one word, and ignored the rest of the thread. Well done you.

Hmmmmm?

What the hell is wrong with you? You see something that says "Clinton" then you make an "inquiry" that has absolutely NOTHING to do with what anyone has said. Now you're playing stupid immature mind games in an attempt to get me to talk about something that fuck all to do with the topic. Should I ask a second time what's wrong with you?

Basically you're lucky I haven't reported these posts for being completely irrelevant.

Short term memory loss?

Hmmmmm?

What the hell is wrong with you? You see something that says "Clinton" then you make an "inquiry" that has absolutely NOTHING to do with what anyone has said. Now you're playing stupid immature mind games in an attempt to get me to talk about something that fuck all to do with the topic. Should I ask a second time what's wrong with you?

Basically you're lucky I haven't reported these posts for being completely irrelevant.

Nothing wrong....I recognize the difference between good and evil.
And you're still afraid to respond to the query....you complimented a rapist/racist...and won't explain why.

You must be a Liberal, huh?

Short term memory loss?

Hmmmmm?

And you're still afraid to respond to the query....you complimented a rapist/racist...and won't explain why.

Hey, seeing are this is about OPEC, why don't we talk about Laura Bush having killed someone and getting away with it? Afraid to respond huh?

Short term memory loss?

Hmmmmm?

Hey, seeing are this is about OPEC, why don't we talk about Laura Bush having killed someone and getting away with it? Afraid to respond huh?

You mentioned Bill the rapist Clinton, and I brought up a relevant point about you icon.
Your fear is palpable.

OPEC is a coalition of evil. Some of our allies in OPEC are among the most evil countries in the world.

Solution = make oil obsolete.

Your lack of belief in Free market capitalism astounds me. As long as there are free trade, even the most corrupt organization will have to obey the perfectly good hand f the market and sale at market prices.

The free market is the ultimate enforcer of good--spreading decency and morality through unrestricted trade of consumer goods!!

Energy independence should be the goal. But our 'good buddies' the Saudis aren't helping much in that regard. They've reduced oil prices significantly enough to threaten the survival of American companies trying to achieve energy independence. And sadly, some Americans have helped them do it. Is it fair to call them traitors? You bet ya.

We can be energy independent, but it's probably gonna cost us a bit early on. We need to make sure American Companies don't go under. We need to prevent the Saudis and American traitors from destroying them.

Well the only way to keep US companies going is to have a person in charge of production so production can be lowered so oil prices will rise. But no one will do this. So, capitalism, some companies will go under.

Let's hope they survive. Energy Independence should be the goal.

Although I agree with you, that policy goes against the free market capitalist ideology.

Why do you want energy independence when you have a glut of cheap foreign oil? Energy independence should be dictated by market forces, right? So why force an expensive policy or sets of government projects when the purchase of foreign oil is so much in line with Capitalism?

You are not suggesting that an unregulated market could be harmful? How could it be?

Forum List

Back