US targets Iranian currency with fresh sanctions

WethePeopleUS

Mar 14, 2013
United States of America
The idea here is to make the rial essentially unusable outside of Iran.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-22763075

For the first time, the U.S. has targeted Iran's currency, and imposed a new round of sanctions. These include penalties on anyone facilitating "significant" transactions in the rial or holding significant amounts of the currency outside Iran. A US official said the move would force institutions to dump rial holdings and weaken the currency further.

Meanwhile, White House spokesman Jay Carney said that while the US had been increasing its pressure on Iran, it was still open to a "diplomatic solution that allows Iran to rejoin the community of nations if they meet their obligations".

"However, Iran must understand that time is not unlimited," he said.

This is the ninth set of sanctions that President Barack Obama's administration has imposed against Iran.

The question is, are the sanctions working. Are we going to isolate Iran, similar to how we have done to North Korea..

images

I guess Iran is getting desperate. I'm sure they will take any form of payment for their oil. Since we have targeted that (oil reserves), we are also going after their automotive industry as well. Seems we are trying to literally bring them to their knees so they halt their nuclear program.

I guess Iran is getting desperate. I'm sure they will take any form of payment for their oil. Since we have targeted that (oil reserves), we are also going after their automotive industry as well. Seems we are trying to literally bring them to their knees so they halt their nuclear program.
No. Their nuclear program is aimed to boost the energy supply, so, what ever you do, the last thing they will halt is the nuclear program. What you gain with such a behavior is just more hatred like alreday shown in Teheran:

Anti-US_Tehran.jpg

Persians are bored with the whole “death to America" thing. I understand some of the reasons for taking and holding the American embassy folks hostage: as collateral against further American meddling in Iranian internal affairs. Since the 50’s America had a hand in the internal affairs of Iran. Call it blow back.

No. Their nuclear program is aimed to boost the energy supply, so, what ever you do, the last thing they will halt is the nuclear program. What you gain with such a behavior is just more hatred like alreday shown in Teheran:

Anti-US_Tehran.jpg

Actually they are enriching their uranium past the levels of "power usage." Which would indicate that they are the way to weapons grade. And furthermore in reference to the perpetual hatred you claim is spawned by this sort of behavior, is irrelevant. The point is that Iran has become a belligerent state, and that is not the kind of state that the international community wants to posses a nuclear weapon.

Persians are bored with the whole “death to America" thing. I understand some of the reasons for taking and holding the American embassy folks hostage: as collateral against further American meddling in Iranian internal affairs. Since the 50’s America had a hand in the internal affairs of Iran. Call it blow back.

Call it what you will, it is evident now that we must face the probability that Iran might gain the ability to produce a nuclear weapon, and are we going to sit back and do nothing about it. Sir Edmund Burke said, "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil, is for good men to do nothing."

Forum List

Back