US State Department: F-16 Sale Will Go Ahead

kirkuki

Apr 20, 2012
Kirkuk - Kurdistan
thumbnail.php

EXETER, England – On April 23, a U.S. State Department spokesperson told reporters that the sale of F-16 fighter jets to Iraq would go ahead, despite the request of Kurdistan Region President Massoud Barzani that the contract be frozen. “I don’t think there’s any change in our policy,” spokesperson Victoria Nuland said.

Barzani told the newspaper Al-Hayat that he was worried that the Iraqi army, under Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki, would use the F-16s and advanced tanks to push the “Kurds outside of Erbil.” Barzani also noted that Kurds do not have any power within the Iraqi army, despite the fact that both the Iraqi chief of staff and the head of the air force are Kurdish.

Ali al-Shalah, a lawmaker from Maliki’s State of Law Coalition, told Aswat al-Iraq that the reported discussions between the Iraqi military and Maliki to kick out Kurds from the Salahaddin Resort were “unreasonable and just media talk." Shalah added that his bloc wants to resolve issues through dialogue according to the suggestions of Iraqi President Jalal Talabani.

Ihsan al-Awadi, an MP also with the State of Law, told the newspaper Al-Akhbaar he believes Barzani wants to obstruct the delivery of the F-16s so that the Iraqi military remains weak and he can continue to occupy Kirkuk.

States Department spokesperson Nuland reiterated that the U.S. does not want to be involved in intraregional affairs between various Iraqis. “I think you know where we are on this, that we want to see the disagreements they have with each other settled through dialogue and through a roundtable process they’ve all pledged to join. But that still needs to get off the ground.”

There are also worries in the U.S. about Maliki’s growing ties with Iran after a two-visit to the country in April. Republican Senator John McCain, who enjoys good ties with Iraqi Kurdish leaders, asked the assistant secretary of defense for international security affairs during a senate hearing if he was not worried that “Maliki is greeted in Tehran with full honors.” Senator McCain also highlighted the increasing tensions between Baghdad and Barzani.

Former vice chief of staff of the United States Army, Gen. Jack Keane, also expressed worries about the growing ties between Maliki and Iran. During a hearing of the subcommittee on the Middle East and South Asia on March 21, he suggested that “Iraq is now aligned with our number one strategic enemy in the region, Iran.”

Keane proposed to change the United States’ relationship with Iraq and pointed to recent military sales, including the F-16s, “despite the fact that Iraq is operating against U.S. interests in Syria and Bahrain, aligning itself with Iran and deposing political opponents.”

Last edited:
You need to post a link to the source of your story, otherwise it is just your opinion

thumbnail.php

EXETER, England – On April 23, a U.S. State Department spokesperson told reporters that the sale of F-16 fighter jets to Iraq would go ahead, despite the request of Kurdistan Region President Massoud Barzani that the contract be frozen. “I don’t think there’s any change in our policy,” spokesperson Victoria Nuland said.

Barzani told the newspaper Al-Hayat that he was worried that the Iraqi army, under Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki, would use the F-16s and advanced tanks to push the “Kurds outside of Erbil.” Barzani also noted that Kurds do not have any power within the Iraqi army, despite the fact that both the Iraqi chief of staff and the head of the air force are Kurdish.

Ali al-Shalah, a lawmaker from Maliki’s State of Law Coalition, told Aswat al-Iraq that the reported discussions between the Iraqi military and Maliki to kick out Kurds from the Salahaddin Resort were “unreasonable and just media talk." Shalah added that his bloc wants to resolve issues through dialogue according to the suggestions of Iraqi President Jalal Talabani.

Ihsan al-Awadi, an MP also with the State of Law, told the newspaper Al-Akhbaar he believes Barzani wants to obstruct the delivery of the F-16s so that the Iraqi military remains weak and he can continue to occupy Kirkuk.

States Department spokesperson Nuland reiterated that the U.S. does not want to be involved in intraregional affairs between various Iraqis. “I think you know where we are on this, that we want to see the disagreements they have with each other settled through dialogue and through a roundtable process they’ve all pledged to join. But that still needs to get off the ground.”

There are also worries in the U.S. about Maliki’s growing ties with Iran after a two-visit to the country in April. Republican Senator John McCain, who enjoys good ties with Iraqi Kurdish leaders, asked the assistant secretary of defense for international security affairs during a senate hearing if he was not worried that “Maliki is greeted in Tehran with full honors.” Senator McCain also highlighted the increasing tensions between Baghdad and Barzani.

Former vice chief of staff of the United States Army, Gen. Jack Keane, also expressed worries about the growing ties between Maliki and Iran. During a hearing of the subcommittee on the Middle East and South Asia on March 21, he suggested that “Iraq is now aligned with our number one strategic enemy in the region, Iran.”

Keane proposed to change the United States’ relationship with Iraq and pointed to recent military sales, including the F-16s, “despite the fact that Iraq is operating against U.S. interests in Syria and Bahrain, aligning itself with Iran and deposing political opponents.”
Kurds are a great people, with an ancient culture and civilization. If anybody deserves a state it would be the Kurds, not the fake Arabs that call themselves Palestinians as of 1960's. If you notice, after the downfall of Sadam, one of the safest areas in Iraq was Kurdistan. No suicide bombings, no Al Queda, and no oppression and imposition of backward Islamic laws. Kurdistan is now mostly an autonomous region, independent of Iraqui rule. Kurds tend to be highly educated and one of the most intellectual in the Middle East. I have met the Kurdish leader many times, he is a great and generous man. I wish the Kurdish people the best.

F-16's are obsolete now anyway. It seems like everybody has them.

BAGHDAD (Reuters) - Iraq will receive the first 24 of 36 F-16 fighter jets it has ordered from the United States at the beginning of 2014, a senior official told Reuters on Sunday.

Under deposed dictator Saddam Hussein, Iraq's air force was one of the largest in the region with hundreds of mainly Soviet-designed jets. Its military was disbanded after the U.S.-led invasion in 2003.

Last July, Prime Minister Nuri Al-Maliki doubled the number of warplanes Iraq had initially planned to buy to strengthen an air force neglected during a protracted period when the country relied on U.S. air support.

Iskander Witwit, the deputy head of parliament's security and defense committee, said that the first 24 planes would make up two air force squadrons.

"Iraq intends to have equipment which is more developed than neighboring countries have. Small neighboring countries like Kuwait even have five squadrons," Witwit said.

Iraq to get first F-16 jets in early 2014: official - chicagotribune.com

F-16's are obsolete now anyway. It seems like everybody has them.

F-16's are not obsolete.
They're only obsolete if Iraq receives old F-16s coming from stock of an Airforce which didn't modernize them.

Iraq is likely getting new ones.
It's still a very nice aircraft to shit your pants about of you have nothing which can neutralize it.

thumbnail.php

Kurds are a great people, with an ancient culture and civilization. If anybody deserves a state it would be the Kurds, not the fake Arabs that call themselves Palestinians as of 1960's. If you notice, after the downfall of Sadam, one of the safest areas in Iraq was Kurdistan. No suicide bombings, no Al Queda, and no oppression and imposition of backward Islamic laws. Kurdistan is now mostly an autonomous region, independent of Iraqui rule. Kurds tend to be highly educated and one of the most intellectual in the Middle East. I have met the Kurdish leader many times, he is a great and generous man. I wish the Kurdish people the best.

You are pretty much spot on, the Kurds have been pretty much running their own shop since we established the no fly zones in Northern Iraq in the early 90's, I definently wish them the best on getting their own country.

thumbnail.php

You are pretty much spot on, the Kurds have been pretty much running their own shop since we established the no fly zones in Northern Iraq in the early 90's, I definently wish them the best on getting their own country.
The US and NATO soldiers were praying to be stationed in Kurdistan area of Iraq, because there was never any action there. The Kurds pretty much started taking care of their own business soon after the downfall of Sadam. Right now the Turks are the biggest oppressors (and have been) and occupiers of Kurdish land. Their is not focus in the Arab media over them because they aren't Arabs. Kurds nomadic people and are actually since ancient times part of the real Aryan race.

The US and NATO soldiers were praying to be stationed in Kurdistan area of Iraq, because there was never any action there. The Kurds pretty much started taking care of their own business soon after the downfall of Sadam. Right now the Turks are the biggest oppressors (and have been) and occupiers of Kurdish land. Their is not focus in the Arab media over them because they aren't Arabs. Kurds nomadic people and are actually since ancient times part of the real Aryan race.
Typo: *there is no focus.

The Kurds armed force in Northern Iraq the Peshmerga is better armed and alot stronger than Iraqs current Military, and Baghdad knows this. Turkey, Iran, Iraq and Syria all despise the Kurds and don't want anything to do with them, you are also spot on about US Forces being safe in Kurdistan, I heard they didn't even have to wear their flack vests or heavy gear there, during the whole Iraq war I believe there were 0 US Casualties in Kurdistan.

Then give them Israel; and move all of the ashkenazi Jews there back to Europe. :cool:

Last edited:

The Kurds armed force in Northern Iraq the Peshmerga is better armed and alot stronger than Iraqs current Military, and Baghdad knows this. Turkey, Iran, Iraq and Syria all despise the Kurds and don't want anything to do with them, you are also spot on about US Forces being safe in Kurdistan, I heard they didn't even have to wear their flack vests or heavy gear there, during the whole Iraq war I believe there were 0 US Casualties in Kurdistan.
Turkey, Iran, Iraq, and Syria have issues with the Kurds because they are stealing Kurdish land. I think the main problem is Turkey, they hold the most land and have oppressed the Kurds the most. Maybe the Kurds and Armenians can join forces.

Then give them Israel; and move all of the ashkenazis there back to Europe. :cool:
How about the invading Arabs that started calling themselves Palestinians as of 1960 move back to Syria, Jordan, and Egypt? Oh sorry, the Arabs don't want any part of them either.

thanks dear , just to add some points to your post, Kurdistan has been autonomous since 1991 not 2003 , so we got rid of Saddam back then , thanks to the NO-FLY-ZONE.

of course there wont be , we love our liberators ,we demand a US permanent military base in Kurdistan, hell we will cover most expenses.

200px-Little_Miss_Muffet_1_-_WW_Denslow_-_Project_Gutenberg_etext_18546.jpg

Little miss muffet had Kurds in her way
Little hezbollah pig boy Jos
Sat on the Mullah and stuffed it
Spewing his Islamist garbage and lies
Along came homeland security
Putting him in handcuff plastic ties
And dragged his sorry ass away!
:eusa_whistle::eusa_whistle::clap2::clap2:

Forum List

Back