US Solar Makes Up Over Half Of New Generating Capacity

Here's what "Grid Scale" means in terms of this technology...

Energy Storage Innovation and EnerVault The Energy Collective

The current project, located in Turlock, California, will provide 250 kilowatts of power for four hours to Pacific Gas & Electric. It was supported by the DOE's storage demonstration program under the stimulus package, which provided $4.7 million in assistance. The flow battery will be co-located with a PV system and a water pump.
EnerVault_Storage_Tanks_Install.jpg

A storage tank is installed at EnerVault's first commercial site in Turlock, California. Image credit: EnerVault

That's 200 homes for 4 hours. An environmental clusterfuck of biblical proportions whether it's in tornado alley, the hurricane prone coast or earthquake zones. Greenies completely forget their principles when they decide to turn into engineers. They will RAPE and PILLAGE the planet to make their fairytale solutions work..

Thats the problem with the power issue, nothing that generates power 24/7 and is reliable, that will not impact the environment in some way. This so called "green" movement seems to not fully grasp what they are asking, and in the end nothing is truly "green".

Last edited:
Depends on what your present and future cost for electricity is. You can get a 5 kw system for 8K to10K. That is a grid tie system, so when the sun is down, you pull off the grid, during the day, you contribute to the grid. Add 2 kw to that system, and buy and EV and reduce the payback period by nearly half.

See, again, personal use is one thing; its highly inefficient large scale.

I also dont understand the thinking behind a lot of this when people claim its about "green" power and something that environmentalists just love because its not damaging the environment.

Seriously? Have you seen the amount of real estate needed to generate enough power to be useful? Hundreds and hundreds of land that I used to call home and used for recreation and used for wildlife is destroyed for all these wind turbines and solar panels; its disgusting and literally useless.

Im still pissed that we are paying them to generate power so they can be competitive, we have to GIVE power away, AND we still have to buy their power.

As a tax payer I would be pissed off that I have to subsidize their power just to be competitive with any of the other local generation plants. that amounts to being charged twice for an item.

Listen, at least in our area, these plants will never EVER pay for themselves on their own. Do you realize that their PRODUCTION cost is $.15/kwh and you pay them $.09/kwh from your taxes so they can sell their power for $.06/kwh? Thats on the open market too, where the other power companies buys it to resell at a higher rate? When you are talking Millions of watts, it starts getting expensive.

Our one dam produces about twice as much power, and our cost to produce is about $.02-$.03/kwh WITH NO SUBSIDIES.

Do the math people, it is all a loss.

This is not dismissing places where a town or municipality want them, small scale and pricing makes a big difference but I think the subsidization thing is sickening.

Can solar get out of control?

Yup!

Unused solar panels too efficient From York Press

"Original council papers published about the construction of the pool in October 2007 said the renewable energy technology - solar panels and biomass boilers - would cost around £170,000 but would be paid for by revenue savings and lower heating bills at the centre."

Poor planning guarantees results; poor, expensive, useless results. But, hey, it's not as though it's real money being wasted....just TAX money.

With WiFi technology making leaps in electricity delivery, as well as appliance storage, grid defined will change that the device itself will be the grid. Your TV will obtain enough power during the day to play all night. Were just a couple of years away.

I was speaking of the wifi power, thats not viable, I know battery storage is, although Im not convinced its expense is worth the payback.

Wait for it.

smh

You will never see that work large scale to power your home in your lifetime.

If electric companies buy patents there won't be. Otherwise....You wanna bet? Ask me what business my company does.

Ive been in technology for 30 years, and I will take that bet, but with that I can say and believe that anything is possible. I just have a hard time accepting that you can sen 1000 kwh to a house with any form of efficiency. Then on top of that people are have been complaining about the high tension lines causing issues; what will they say about this? Im gonna assume it too will create a magnetic force with the radio waves (that have also been proven to cause cancer) that people will complain about.

Reliable power that is on demand 24/7, yeah most of this technology wont be viable till Im dead.

oh, and goody for you and your company, you wanna ask me what I do?

I am getting ready to replace a roof on my new crib. I would totally try solar shingles if they weren't so expensive. Reroofing is expensive enough to have to bite off in one chunk without tripling the cost.

There is no way within the parameters of physics you can efficiently store the energy unless you convert the energy to matter and then back to energy again. Of course, if we could do that we wouldn't need wind and solar in the first place.

That is old technology. They are called "trees"

I am getting ready to replace a roof on my new crib. I would totally try solar shingles if they weren't so expensive. Reroofing is expensive enough to have to bite off in one chunk without tripling the cost.

have you looked into the subsidies? it can knock the cost down as much as half. That and I think you dont ever want to walk on your roof later.

However, I would think you could better efficiency if you got the panels installed so that they are pointed in the optimal directions.

have you looked into the subsidies? it can knock the cost down as much as half. That and I think you dont ever want to walk on your roof later.

However, I would think you could better efficiency if you got the panels installed so that they are pointed in the optimal directions.

My roof is pretty optimal--south facing open exposure on the street side. I will probably just save up and add a 4-panel pod toward the back of the property at some point. That way if I move I can take it with me, or sell it if I don't like it.

smh

If electric companies buy patents there won't be. Otherwise....You wanna bet? Ask me what business my company does.

You're already whining about the conspiracy that will prevent Wi-tricity from being successful. It's NOT a power source. It's not even neccessary from an efficient use standpoint. It is broadcasting energy even when there is nothing around to use it if applied to more than a wireless pad charger for your handheld devices.

Not gonna help correct the fatal flaws in the list of current "alternatives"..

smh

Ive been in technology for 30 years, and I will take that bet, but with that I can say and believe that anything is possible. I just have a hard time accepting that you can sen 1000 kwh to a house with any form of efficiency. Then on top of that people are have been complaining about the high tension lines causing issues; what will they say about this? Im gonna assume it too will create a magnetic force with the radio waves (that have also been proven to cause cancer) that people will complain about.

Reliable power that is on demand 24/7, yeah most of this technology wont be viable till Im dead.

My company designs, engineers, builds, and maintains radio transmission towers. We've already received bid requests for WiTricity type ventures, as well as Verizon, AT&T, and cable companies such as Cox, to not only deliver WiFi and cable programs, but also electricity. Unless you have plans of dying in the next few years, you may see the future.

smh

You're already whining about the conspiracy that will prevent Wi-tricity from being successful. It's NOT a power source. It's not even neccessary from an efficient use standpoint. It is broadcasting energy even when there is nothing around to use it if applied to more than a wireless pad charger for your handheld devices.

It's not a power source, it's a delivery source.

smh

My company designs, engineers, builds, and maintains radio transmission towers. We've already received bid requests for WiTricity type ventures, as well as Verizon, AT&T, and cable companies such as Cox, to not only deliver WiFi and cable programs, but also electricity. Unless you have plans of dying in the next few years, you may see the future.

Interesting, I have done all those things, yet you work for a company that is involved with all those things.

color me impressed.

I still believe you are over exaggerating this 'technology'. But again, Ive been in technology long enough to see some interesting advances so it wont surprise me if a version of what you describe comes into play.

smh

ok, describe again to me how this WiFi signal will deliver enough power to run your home?

smh

hmmm
  • Direct Wireless Power—All the power a device needs is provided wirelessly — no batteries are required. This mode powers devices that are always within range of its WiTricity power source.
  • Automatic Wireless Charging—A device with rechargeable batteries charges itself, while still in use or at rest, without requiring a power cord or battery replacement. This mode is used to charge mobile devices when in range of its WiTricity power source, without having to physically connect the device.
This suggests its is inducing power on the products. Not a new technology, of course tryign to apply it to earlier tech was not as easy. Now that technology has electronics using less power, it is easier to run this equipment. However, Im still skeptical, and again with more concern with cancers and such, adding more radio waves will create more hysteria. (hell, even Im concerned since Ive spend a good deal of time in front of and around active radio waves.)

[

Interesting, I have done all those things, yet you work for a company that is involved with all those things.

color me impressed.

I still believe you are over exaggerating this 'technology'. But again, Ive been in technology long enough to see some interesting advances so it wont surprise me if a version of what you describe comes into play.[/QUOTE]

So on a real windy day will all my neighborhood's power demands be blown toward one house like a death ray that will blow the sucker up? That would be pretty awesome (well except for the person deceased)

There is still a small amount of work going on into how to make implants like pacemakers be wirelessly rechargeable.

It already works for things like toothbrushes. Put the brush handle into the base (which contains 1/2 of a transformer, the other half being in the handle) and it recharges. For implants the "base" would either have to be somehow attached in close proximity to the device or the charger would have to be much more powerful, perhaps set beside one's bed to recharge overnight.

The work was promising until Obama decided to tax medical devices like pacemakers and granny's artificial hip.

But that was then.....

Forum List

Back