US Solar Makes Up Over Half Of New Generating Capacity

smh

You will never see that work large scale to power your home in your lifetime.

If electric companies buy patents there won't be. Otherwise....You wanna bet? Ask me what business my company does.

You're already whining about the conspiracy that will prevent Wi-tricity from being successful. It's NOT a power source. It's not even neccessary from an efficient use standpoint. It is broadcasting energy even when there is nothing around to use it if applied to more than a wireless pad charger for your handheld devices.

Not gonna help correct the fatal flaws in the list of current "alternatives"..

It's not a power source, it's a delivery source.
hmmm
  • Direct Wireless Power—All the power a device needs is provided wirelessly — no batteries are required. This mode powers devices that are always within range of its WiTricity power source.
  • Automatic Wireless Charging—A device with rechargeable batteries charges itself, while still in use or at rest, without requiring a power cord or battery replacement. This mode is used to charge mobile devices when in range of its WiTricity power source, without having to physically connect the device.
This suggests its is inducing power on the products. Not a new technology, of course tryign to apply it to earlier tech was not as easy. Now that technology has electronics using less power, it is easier to run this equipment. However, Im still skeptical, and again with more concern with cancers and such, adding more radio waves will create more hysteria. (hell, even Im concerned since Ive spend a good deal of time in front of and around active radio waves.)

OMG! It's a power AND a delivery source.

The cure for hysteria is education.

smh

You will never see that work large scale to power your home in your lifetime.

If electric companies buy patents there won't be. Otherwise....You wanna bet? Ask me what business my company does.

You're already whining about the conspiracy that will prevent Wi-tricity from being successful. It's NOT a power source. It's not even neccessary from an efficient use standpoint. It is broadcasting energy even when there is nothing around to use it if applied to more than a wireless pad charger for your handheld devices.

hmmm
  • Direct Wireless Power—All the power a device needs is provided wirelessly — no batteries are required. This mode powers devices that are always within range of its WiTricity power source.
  • Automatic Wireless Charging—A device with rechargeable batteries charges itself, while still in use or at rest, without requiring a power cord or battery replacement. This mode is used to charge mobile devices when in range of its WiTricity power source, without having to physically connect the device.
This suggests its is inducing power on the products. Not a new technology, of course tryign to apply it to earlier tech was not as easy. Now that technology has electronics using less power, it is easier to run this equipment. However, Im still skeptical, and again with more concern with cancers and such, adding more radio waves will create more hysteria. (hell, even Im concerned since Ive spend a good deal of time in front of and around active radio waves.)

please clarify, unless you are more interested in being an ass.

Anything that generates radio waves is a 'power source' and of course radio waves is a delivery source, first year electronics.

Explain what is happening though, what is on the web site is OLD technology that is being used for localized low power systems... you cannot provide 1000 kwh to a home with what is proposed nor with what your link shows.

and please tell me you are an engineer, and not a secretary for that company.

Solar is kicking ass.

What is it up to now? 1% of total capacity? 2?

Yep…pretty kick ass….coming from Matthew, who is undoubtedly using coal, nuke and natural gas fired electricity to claim that solar is kicking ass. Pretty funny if you think about it.
And he doesn't even own an electric either. Also not how he abandoned the thread weeks ago.

Solar has come a long way. :thup:

I'd like to see the subsidies end and let the industry stand on it's own feet. Why are we subsidizing Elon Musk? He's a billionaire.....C'mon lefties- Why are we giving billionaires taxpayer money? Cognitive dissonance anyone?
Because his business would implode.

Wind still screw up satellite and internet and we are going to be sending electric service through the air? Don't think so. might be good for transmitting very low loads like keeping smart meters powered or something, but not whole homes.

Solar is kicking ass.

Yep…pretty kick ass….coming from Matthew, who is undoubtedly using coal, nuke and natural gas fired electricity to claim that solar is kicking ass. Pretty funny if you think about it.
And he doesn't even own an electric either. Also not how he abandoned the thread weeks ago.

I'd like to see the subsidies end and let the industry stand on it's own feet. Why are we subsidizing Elon Musk? He's a billionaire.....C'mon lefties- Why are we giving billionaires taxpayer money? Cognitive dissonance anyone?

No doubt. Take away the subsidies and you're left with nothing but high hopes and soaring rhetoric......

Solar is kicking ass.

We give the oil companies billions, so why not?

Then there's big box stores like WalMart for additional billions.

Over the past century, the federal government has pumped more than $470 billion into the oil and gas industry in the form of generous, never-expiring tax breaks. Once intended to jump-start struggling domestic drillers, these incentives have become a tidy bonus for some of the world's most profitable companies.

Triumph of the Drill How Big Oil Clings to Billions in Government Giveaways Mother Jones

Wind still screw up satellite and internet and we are going to be sending electric service through the air? Don't think so. might be good for transmitting very low loads like keeping smart meters powered or something, but not whole homes.

Other than moving an under-supported dish, how does wind 'screw up satellite and internet' communications?

Other than moving an under-supported dish, how does wind 'screw up satellite and internet' communications?

Wind does not. It will shift a poorly installed dish as noted.

Satellite TV reception IS destroyed by intermittent obstructions like heavy rain or snow. The problem is greatest where the "look angle" is through a lot of atmosphere. If you put up enough power radiating sources and people didn't object to the strength of the radiation then ultimately it probably can be made to work.

At any distance, though, efficiency can be predicted to dwindle and outages due to rain or snow can be expected. How much and how badly dependent on the frequency (wavelength, if you prefer) of the radiated signal.

People are bitching about their health being destroyed by radiation from present-day power lines. It's well established that microwaves of certain frequencies can cook living things as well as pop corn. The one thing you can count on is that Luddites will be out there with pitchforks killing the crews building transmission facilities.

The intermittent outages should not be an issue since, by the time wireless power transmission is feasible folks will be accustomed to having electricity only some of the time due to power plants being closed down twixt now and then.

hmmm

Anything that generates radio waves is a 'power source' and of course radio waves is a delivery source, first year electronics.

Explain what is happening though, what is on the web site is OLD technology that is being used for localized low power systems... you cannot provide 1000 kwh to a home with what is proposed nor with what your link shows.

For your clarification;

Here's some background from 2013:

A microwave metamaterial with integrated power harvesting functionality

I can tell you that since that paper was written there are test homes that derive all of their energy wirelessly.

Beyond that, I can't elaborate due to proprietary rights.

FYI: I'm not an Engineer, I hire Engineers.

Last edited:

Being on a wireless modem, I can tell you that real windy/gusty days degrade my connection speeds considerably. I have been told by people who use satellite for TV they sometimes get crappy service on real windy days as well with a lot of video freezing and the like.

Wind does not. It will shift a poorly installed dish as noted.

Correct

Satellite TV reception IS destroyed by intermittent obstructions like heavy rain or snow. The problem is greatest where the "look angle" is through a lot of atmosphere. If you put up enough power radiating sources and people didn't object to the strength of the radiation then ultimately it probably can be made to work.

You simply increase your 'look angle' by buying a bigger dish.

At any distance, though, efficiency can be predicted to dwindle and outages due to rain or snow can be expected. How much and how badly dependent on the frequency (wavelength, if you prefer) of the radiated signal.

The distance is one mile non-line-of-sight, or five miles line-of-sight. The way you overcome this is by repeaters. For instance, on there car or handheld radio, a cop or firefighter in San Diego, Ca can talk with another cop or fighter in Eureka, Ca by switching to a 'state red' frequency. This is done by a network of repeaters. Same applies to WiFi.

People are bitching about their health being destroyed by radiation from present-day power lines. It's well established that microwaves of certain frequencies can cook living things as well as pop corn. The one thing you can count on is that Luddites will be out there with pitchforks killing the crews building transmission facilities.

Why did the foil-head stop wearing foil? Because his dog told him it made him look funny......

The intermittent outages should not be an issue since, by the time wireless power transmission is feasible folks will be accustomed to having electricity only some of the time due to power plants being closed down twixt now and then.

Keep believing that and you'll die as uneducated as you were born.

Being on a wireless modem, I can tell you that real windy/gusty days degrade my connection speeds considerably. I have been told by people who use satellite for TV they sometimes get crappy service on real windy days as well with a lot of video freezing and the like.

Everything you describe is an antenna problem.

Which is part of the system, it's a windy day problem.

So much about satellite TV reception depends on things you can't see.

OK, so there's wind. Let us assume your dish is rock solid, not whipping around. The wind is NOT a factor. Signals pass through air - they don't ride on it.

What you need to consider is the look angle. If you're around Los Angeles your dish may be pointed almost straight up.

That means you are looking through a relatively thin layer of atmosphere and what you see, weatherwise, is what your dish is seeing. Under those circumstances (with a stable installation) wind has zero effect.

If you live far to the north it's all different. I once lived in a place where the look angle was less than 5-degrees above the horizon. Looking through miles and miles of atmosphere. Where I was might well be clear but with or without wind. Still the signal would pixellate and at times vanish. On those occasions I could check weather at another town about 100 miles to East and, sure enough, rain or snow there. The dish was "looking" at the satellite through that mess. Often there would be wind present locally because of the speed at which weather systems were moving. The important thing was what was going on in the atmosphere through which the signal had to travel. Most U.S. dish installations are about 18-inches in diameter. Where I was the minimum workable was 1-meter and many had 1.5 meter dishes. Not so much the distance from the satellite; rather the very shallow look angle that made the signal weak to start with due to all the varieties of weather happening twixt satellite and receiver.

One tiny factor: If you are looking through trees (your dish, that is), wind that shakes the foliage around will make things worse so you might wanna just cut down the trees.

So if the power source were terrestrial and reasonably close by, yeah, I won't deny a system could be invented that might get power to you but at some cost in inefficiency, worsened according to distance. The hardest part might be killing off all the NIMBYs who would not want YOUR electricity passing through THEIR air.

So much about satellite TV reception depends on things you can't see.

OK, so there's wind. Let us assume your dish is rock solid, not whipping around. The wind is NOT a factor. Signals pass through air - they don't ride on it.

What you need to consider is the look angle. If you're around Los Angeles your dish may be pointed almost straight up.

That means you are looking through a relatively thin layer of atmosphere and what you see, weatherwise, is what your dish is seeing. Under those circumstances (with a stable installation) wind has zero effect.

If you live far to the north it's all different. I once lived in a place where the look angle was less than 5-degrees above the horizon. Looking through miles and miles of atmosphere. Where I was might well be clear but with or without wind. Still the signal would pixellate and at times vanish. On those occasions I could check weather at another town about 100 miles to East and, sure enough, rain or snow there. The dish was "looking" at the satellite through that mess. Often there would be wind present locally because of the speed at which weather systems were moving. The important thing was what was going on in the atmosphere through which the signal had to travel. Most U.S. dish installations are about 18-inches in diameter. Where I was the minimum workable was 1-meter and many had 1.5 meter dishes. Not so much the distance from the satellite; rather the very shallow look angle that made the signal weak to start with due to all the varieties of weather happening twixt satellite and receiver.

One tiny factor: If you are looking through trees (your dish, that is), wind that shakes the foliage around will make things worse so you might wanna just cut down the trees.

So if the power source were terrestrial and reasonably close by, yeah, I won't deny a system could be invented that might get power to you but at some cost in inefficiency, worsened according to distance. The hardest part might be killing off all the NIMBYs who would not want YOUR electricity passing through THEIR air.

AGAIN, antenna problems.

Solar is kicking ass.

We give the oil companies billions, so why not?

Then there's big box stores like WalMart for additional billions.

Over the past century, the federal government has pumped more than $470 billion into the oil and gas industry in the form of generous, never-expiring tax breaks. Once intended to jump-start struggling domestic drillers, these incentives have become a tidy bonus for some of the world's most profitable companies.

Triumph of the Drill How Big Oil Clings to Billions in Government Giveaways Mother Jones

there is a difference from giving them billions and giving them tax breaks. Even so oil is still the biggest taxed commodity in America.

We literally GIVE money to wind turbine companies because they cannot compete otherwise.

hmmm

For your clarification;

Here's some background from 2013:

A microwave metamaterial with integrated power harvesting functionality

I can tell you that since that paper was written there are test homes that derive all of their energy wirelessly.

Beyond that, I can't elaborate due to proprietary rights.

FYI: I'm not an Engineer, I hire Engineers.

Yeah, I have too, but my background is in Engineering/electronics/telecomm. Ive worked with sudo technical supervisors... so far your resume is not impressive.

So far nothing shown on your site, nor what you have posted , suggests its ore than your typical power induced style charging systems. Granted, low power electronics can do fine in such an environment; but I see nothing to say that the company has developed anythign new but has taken advantage of low power draw electronics. You will still not be able to run a house with 1000kwh of power over 'wireless'. Even the section on charging your electric car suggests you will need special equipment and household power available to do such a thing.

That is the problem with some of these wireless systems, most 'techs' go by the basic instructions of installation and dont understand the fundamentals of radio transmissions. So needless to say their install may not be optimum.

However I agree, that its a strong possibility that when the wind blows that it is causing the antennas to move, and affecting your connection speeds. those systems typically do not come with mounts that aare very substantial and will probably be moving in a wind storm.

Without being able to be on site to diagnose the problem, that is my first guess as well, its basically an antenna problem.

Granted, dust, rain, snow and the like can also degrade a microwave signal; which is basically what most wireless networking systems are... 2.4ghz to 5.8ghz for open license equipment.

I can't call that an antenna problem, just an atmospheric problem that no antenna could fix.

True, but if you could describe the system you have, it could be easier to diagnose.

It is correct, that if you have a rock solid mount wind should not affect the signal, but atmosphere can affect the signals. We used to have problems with temperature inversions, where the heat waves radiating from the lower town would cause signal degradation from the mountain top transmitters. Low cloud layers would reflect signals as well. Rain, snow, it all can affect signals depending on the radio and the weather.

Ever hear of "sun fade"?

Twice a year when the sun was just right we would havea few seconds of signal loss, a lot of people dont get that.

We also had troubles with wind as well; one site in particular would move the 8' dish side to side so violently that we could see a 20db signal change. Thats significant on a 40 mile path.

Forum List

Back