US Navy veteran ordered to remove American flag wrap from mailbox

No doubt there are some pretty bad stories about HOA's. I'm wasn't trying to defend all HOA's with my OP. I was just taking this one case in particular and saying that I agree with the HOA. I've been in a community with an HOA for 10 years and I haven't heard of any issues. Our HOA seems to just enforce the really bad shit, like if someone remodels their bathroom and leaves the toilet in the front year for weeks and weeks after their done.

At the end of the day if you hate HOA's, then don't buy into a community that has one. If you're OK with an HOA, then read the rules before you sign and abide by them. If you're stuck with a really bad HOA, shit that sucks. But life is full of shit that isn't fair, right? We just deal with it.

A mailbox covered with the American flag is at the center of a dispute brewing between a retired U.S. veteran and a homeowners association in Florida.

I agree with the HOA. I don't understand why people move into neighborhoods with an HOA and then complain when they get dinged for not following the rules. The HOA says he can fly 4 flags total year round. He can also put the American flag wrap on his mailbox during July 4th - 30 days before and 15 days after. It sounds reasonable to me. The HOA is designed to keep property values up for everyone. They have to draw a line somewhere. I would tell this vet to just fly 1-4 flags and take the wrap off his mailbox 15 days after July 4th or move to a house with no HOA.

Are you going to agree with the HOA when they tell you what words you can't speak because it's " Their Law"

Is this a joke? If you need to go that far to prove a point then you've lost the debate.

A mailbox covered with the American flag is at the center of a dispute brewing between a retired U.S. veteran and a homeowners association in Florida.

I agree with the HOA. I don't understand why people move into neighborhoods with an HOA and then complain when they get dinged for not following the rules. The HOA says he can fly 4 flags total year round. He can also put the American flag wrap on his mailbox during July 4th - 30 days before and 15 days after. It sounds reasonable to me. The HOA is designed to keep property values up for everyone. They have to draw a line somewhere. I would tell this vet to just fly 1-4 flags and take the wrap off his mailbox 15 days after July 4th or move to a house with no HOA.

Although I agree that HOA can have rules, my question is why there is even rule that prevent flying American flag in America. Who can be offended by that anyways?

His HOA doesn't have a rule against flying flags. He can fly 4 if he wants to.

Tis true, my father is on the HOA for his neighborhood and they can indeed put leins on the home for violations - he was in the process of doing do when I was down there in March because one of the homes up the street was "illegally" renting. Another neighbor had even come over during dinner one night to pay a fine because she'd let her guests park in the driveway for two days lol

I'd never get into a "modern" HOA, they're rediculious and authoritarian as fuck. My ex-in-laws got taken to court for building a shed, I've watched state wide reported battles over house paint colors in Eaglewood over the years, and PowderRidge HOA tried to sue parks and rec when the wolves were coming in and eating all their small dogs a few years ago heh In the late 90s I had an HOA in a retirement community and got in trouble for leaving lawn chairs & a patio table on my roof deck; made damn sure to check all the rules in the HOA I have here, which thankfully is old school and basically more about knowing your neighbors/safety than property values or rules - not too much moving in and out on our street, most of us are either retired and snowbird, or are federal employees. I think the house next to us was a safe house though, the last three owners were FBI & CIA, now its two police officers and their young kids. Our HOA actually formed up to fight PowderRidge going in behind us, thanks to everyone binding together, and the housing crash, we held it off for like 15 years and just managed to convince the developers to sell the land behind our properties to the state to build a school instead of packing in a bunch of townhouses \o/

Forum List

Back