US has placed no Amb. in Ankara

While there is no ambassador, I have no doubt there is still a US Embassy and an extremely competent set of staffers willing to handle all complaints the Turkish government has.

Additionally, considering it's the 21st Century, isn't the role of the ambassador a little redundant now? If the Turkish President wants to talk to Obama, he can just power up Skype.

uhm thats not really how its done, the pres. uses state career employees to deliver messages and discuss topics, ambassadors ARE window dressing but they are important status symbols, we should have one there.

Have you ever been introduced to the concept of hyperbole?

sure and when I employ some I'll let you know, or are we talking conceptually? :rolleyes:

Anyhow, this is a non-issue. Unless you can prove that it is somehow interfering with relations, a slight delay in the presence of an ambassador is hardly noteworthy.

Uh hello , I said exactly the opposite , I said he is pretty much window dressing. BUT its a status thing. Diplomacy has its onw dance steps.

Looking at the article, our own state dept. angst , the various moves and changes that have taken place ala turkey and its changes of heart vs. the west, it is important we keep things as close to even keel as possible, imho. If this were upper volta who would give a shit? Its not , its what was thought of as the gateway east to west west to east. We need to stay on top of things and observe the protocols and keep as close to possible to non contention and normalcy while the state dept. "pros" work behind the scenes.

uhm thats not really how its done, the pres. uses state career employees to deliver messages and discuss topics, ambassadors ARE window dressing but they are important status symbols, we should have one there.

sure and when I employ some I'll let you know, or are we talking conceptually? :rolleyes:

You obviously don't, or did you really think someone in the world thought diplomacy could be conducted over Skype?

Anyhow, this is a non-issue. Unless you can prove that it is somehow interfering with relations, a slight delay in the presence of an ambassador is hardly noteworthy.

Uh hello , I said exactly the opposite , I said he is pretty much window dressing. BUT its a status thing. Diplomacy has its onw dance steps. [/QUOTE]

So you admit it's a non-issue?

You obviously don't, or did you really think someone in the world thought diplomacy could be conducted over Skype?

where did I say diplomacy should be conducted over skype?

Uh hello , I said exactly the opposite , I said he is pretty much window dressing. BUT its a status thing. Diplomacy has its onw dance steps.

So you admit it's a non-issue?

No, I said there is a protocol to obverse, and it would probably be best if we had one in place.

If they were to pull theirs or something earth shaking occurred this is one of those levers thats harmless but meaningful, pulling your ambassador etc....diplomacy has its own games and rules.

Last edited:
And this will benefit the US how?

Our diplomats say, after November Congress elections the bad climate will go away.
Anti-Turkey climate in the US congress - Hurriyet Daily News and Economic Review
But it's a common wisdom: After election is before election.

I think, we give the right answer to US Congress:
Yesterday came US delegation to "explain" us Iran sanctions.
We send them home without results. We are stepping up gasoline shipments to Iran and Energy Minister has said, that Turkish State backs company sales to Iran of refined petroleum
U.S. officials discussed Iran sanctions with Turkey | Energy & Oil | Reuters

Turkey backs gasoline sales to Iran despite sanctions
(...) country's main gasoline exporter: Iran more important to us than the U.S.

Energy Minister:
- "If the preference of the private sector is to sell these [petroleum] products to Iran, we will help them. There is no demand for Turkey to halt the trade of these products with Iran,"
- plans by Turkey and Iran for joint construction of power plants with a total capacity of 6,000 megawatts would continue
- planned natural gas pipeline from the Islamic Republic to Turkey by private Turkish company SOM Petrol will be used to supply European gas markets as well Turkey's demands

Turkey backs gasoline sales to Iran despite sanctions - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

:welcome: to 21st century, Mr. Congress.

Last edited:
Turkey throws sanctions lifeline to Iran
Mehmet Simsek, the finance minister, told the Financial Times that Turkey would not shy away from promoting closer trade links with Iran.
(...)
Turkey’s foreign economic relations board said the country’s ports, notably Mersin and Trabzon, would try to handle some of the trade with Iran that has been going through Dubai. The Gulf emirate is steadily restricting its economic ties with Tehran.

FT.com / Middle East - Turkey throws sanctions lifeline to Iran

Appointment was blocked by Israelian Lobby
De-facto sign of current US-Turkey relations - Hurriyet Daily News and Economic Review

Also, Armenian lobby has blocked US Ambassador to Azerbaijan, another Turkic country.
News.Az - US in strong need of appointing ambassador in Azerbaijan

Since July 2009 there is no US Ambassador in Azerbaijan
United States Ambassador to Azerbaijan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The US needs to re-employ the nukes they had in Iraklion.:evil:

Appointment was blocked by Israelian Lobby
De-facto sign of current US-Turkey relations - Hurriyet Daily News and Economic Review

Also, Armenian lobby has blocked US Ambassador to Azerbaijan, another Turkic country.
News.Az - US in strong need of appointing ambassador in Azerbaijan

Since July 2009 there is no US Ambassador in Azerbaijan
United States Ambassador to Azerbaijan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The US needs to re-employ the nukes they had in Iraklion.:evil:
That was a nice beach!

• Thanks
Reactions: Kat
General Mullen visited Turkey.
He says, that weapon sales to Turkey will continue, also in future.
Israelian press claimed, that USA will not particapte in Anatolian Eagle Airforce exercises in October unless Turkey makes "honeymoon" with Israel.
LINK: Report: US says won't participate in Turkish drill without Israel - Israel News, Ynetnews
General Mullen said, that USA has already participated 2 times in 2010 in Anatolian Eagle, which is hosted by Turkish Airforce.
General Mullen said, that that the budget for US Airforce exercises with Turkey is for 2 exercises a year.
He also said, that USA did not receive an invitation for the 3rd Anatolian Eagle exercise in October from Turkey.

Retired General, Kürsat Atilgan, acting now as Parliamentarian and who is one of 12 Turkish Parliamentarians in 214 multinational NATO Parliamentary Assembly says, that US-Turkish relations will improve after 2011 when USA has finally withdrawn from Iraq. The subject why relations went bad in first place.
He also says, that the General Mullen and recent General Petraeus visits to Turkey are related to Obama's anouncement that Iraq war is over. He says, that the new order the USA has established in Iraq after Saddam removal is facing the risk of collapse after US withdrawal.

ISBN 978-975-991-599-5

It's the book from person who led US-Turkish negotiations about Iraq invasion.
He now is Parliamentary member. During negotiation he was Highest Law Counsellor of Foreign Ministry. Some other positions he held before was Foreign Policy advisor to Deputy Prime Minister, Representative at WTO. Ambassador to Athens (Greece), Bonn (West-Germany).

The negotiations did not bear fruits. But if negotiations would have been successfull, then Turkey would have contributed 62.000 troops to Iraq mission. Sub negotiations between US and Turkish Army.
62.000 Turkish troops in Iraq, 31.000 troops at Iraq side of Turkish-Iraqi borders as logistics and support hub, 31.000 troops active in Iraq.

The Bush Administration offered 15 Billion $ to Turkey.
- 10 Billion $ as 6.25 % interest loan, re-payment within 15 years.
- 3 Billion $ military and economic aid
- 1 Billion $ petrol buy by USA for Turkish Army
- 1 Billion $ support for upgradeing or building Turkish bases to be used during Iraq operation

The US negotiated with Turkey solely through non-profile persons. Like Zalmay Khalilzad.
No Powell or Rumsfeld in Turkey.
In essence, the negotiations collapsed because USA did not want Turkey to fight PKK.
USA just wanted Turkey to fight Saddam and close its eye to PKK in Iraq.
That were the times, when the high-profile visits were made to tribal leaders in North-Iraq instead Turkey.

With eye on Iran and Syria, you bet on "Kurdistan" horse. USA did not want Turkey to fight PKK there.
Your administration was total fail.

Good. Turkey is an enemy of the US.

The new government is an Islamic extremist one.

They should get kicked out of NATO.

Good. Turkey is an enemy of the US.

The new government is an Islamic extremist one.

So says the Israeli, who has an US flag as avatar.
The noise you're making is common. We know whom we dealing with.

As extension to my last post:
I'm very thankfull that Turkey did not participate in Iraq war.
If she had, Iraq War would've been not such a quagmire so the Neo-Cons in feeling of success proceeding with their plans to transform (read destabilize) the Middle East (Greater Middle East Project). Syria+Iran. "Axis of Evil".

Good for Middle-East, bad for "Show" Americans like CMike whose loyalty is with Israel and he wanting the USA to fight Israel's wars.

Mullen visit aims to paper over US-Turkey differences
Turkey and the United States are “not just allies” but “good friends”, the US military’s top commander said after a visit to Ankara aimed at papering over the cracks in an increasingly fractious relationship.
Admiral Mullen told reporters on Saturday his visit (...) was meant to “reaffirm the commitment of the American military to continuing, indeed strengthening, our already close relationship.”

FT.com / Middle East / Politics & Society - Mullen visit aims to paper over US-Turkey differences

US Army knows what is good for USA, and it does not have to appease Anti-Turkish Lobbygroups for November elections.

Regarding claims that arms sales to Turkey would be banned due to pressure from the pro-Israeli lobby in the U.S., the admiral said Washington had a robust military sales program with Turkey and that program would continue to flourish in the future.
US seeks support from Turkey on Iran - Hurriyet Daily News and Economic Review

I think the US Army has no authority to decide about this.
But it is a clear statement to the "Israelian Lewinskys" in Congress.

While there is no ambassador, I have no doubt there is still a US Embassy and an extremely competent set of staffers willing to handle all complaints the Turkish government has.

Additionally, considering it's the 21st Century, isn't the role of the ambassador a little redundant now? If the Turkish President wants to talk to Obama, he can just power up Skype.

have you ever been introduced to the concept of 'proportional response'? If you think Traj's post was hyperbolic, I suggest you are the one in need of a refresher to that concept.

Turkey is an enemy of the US.

US Army says, we are not only allies but good friends.

CMike said:

In August, a Turk has been appointed to Deputy Secretary General of NATO to Rasmussen.
Next Chairman of the NATO Military Committee will be a Turk. It has been decided.
Current Chairman is Giampaolo Di Paola from Italy.
After his term ends, Turkey will have 2 out of the 6 Deputy General positions of NATO.

Besides the military weight within NATO, we lacked for a long time the economic strength.
Now that is changing.
Next goal should be ensuring Rasmussen has a successfull term as Secretary General, and after that replacing him with a Turk.

Turkey only did agree to Rasmussen as NATO General with 3 pre-conditions.

1. He apoligizes for Danish Mohammed Cartoons
2. Turks are selected to top-positions of NATO
3. Turks get operative commando of Somalia Anti-Piracy mission of NATO
AFP: Turkey to command Somalia anti-piracy force: US

2.+3. have been met.
Point 1. he delivered by visiting Turkey as first station as Secretary General of NATO and underlying his respect for Islam to global TV cameras.
This was needed, because Turkey is Chair of 57 member Islamic Conference, and we want to facilate NATO-OIC cooperation. This could not be done with an Anti-Islam Dane.
Now he respects Islam.

German "high-brow" Press, Die Zeit:

A Turk becomes NATO chief planner
Beginning with the Israelian Gaza offensive, Turkey has swayed into Israel critic positions. With it came major Turkey bashing.
Is Turkey a Fifth Column in NATO? - The Corner - National Review Online
And now a Turk gets one of highest positions in NATO? Interesting.
And Turkey has shown once again that nothing runs without it. That nothing about this is reported in our media is very remarkable. At Best, the German policy no longer wishes to comment on Turkey. A faint image.

Die Zeit
Ein Türke wird Nato-Chefplaner « Jörg Lau

Die ZEIT:
With a circulation of 488,036 and an estimated readership of slightly above 2 million, it is the most widely read German weekly newspaper.
The paper is considered to be highbrow.
[was published] from 1983 onwards together with former German chancellor Helmut Schmidt.
Die Zeit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Israel Lobby says, Turkey should be kicked out of NATO and Turkey be put under arms embargo.
US Army should deport them to Guantanamo for being disloyal and a strategic burden to the interests of USA.

Last edited:
Turkey tried to block sanction in the security council.

Turkey is part of the axis of evil.

Turkey is part of the axis of evil.

You better hope we do not become, as Henri Barkey from Carnegie Endowment says, that in a triple Syria-Turkey-Iran alliance Turkey would be towing force and the other 2 are economical midgets.
(Video)
Besides that, your voice has no weight.
You've a clear agenda.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIzGg1fZr94&videos=YaP8JKaXCGE]YouTube - Inside Story - Turkey's role in the Middle East[/ame]

Forum List

Back