United Health Trimming Involvment in ObamaCare

Switzerland. Why Did Swiss Voters Reject Single-Payer Health Care? | Labor Notes Not all single payer proposals are what you would portray them as. Universal coverage is what people are aiming for. The US would of course tweak any models and proposals to fit our national interests and needs.

Some of us do not consider the needs of for profit health insurers to be the same thing as our national interests
Yes, too many Americans think they have the right to force others to pay for their health care.
'Shared responsibility payment'

We all have to pay for highways, even if we we not all drive on them

Another major health insurer is scaling back operations in ObamaCare due to unsustainable costs. This is, of course, the inevitable result that those of us who didn't drink the Messiah's Kool-Aid told everyone would happen.

UnitedHealth, the nation's biggest health insurer, will cut its participation in public health insurance exchanges to only a handful of states next year after expanding to nearly three dozen for this year.

CEO Stephen Hemsley said Tuesday that the company expects losses from its exchange business to total more than $1 billion for this year and last. He added that the company cannot continue to broadly serve the market created by the Affordable Care Act's coverage expansion due partly to the higher risk that comes with its customers.

News from The Associated Press
Time for single payer?

Time to scrap ObamaCare and go back to what we had, which was better. Implementing single payer in this country is completely unrealistic and a completely idiotic idea.

Yes, it was better.

Certainly, not perfect.

Single Payer is the wet dream of the left.
Switzerland. Why Did Swiss Voters Reject Single-Payer Health Care? | Labor Notes Not all single payer proposals are what you would portray them as. Universal coverage is what people are aiming for. The US would of course tweak any models and proposals to fit our national interests and needs.

Some of us do not consider the needs of for profit health insurers to be the same thing as our national interests

Your only issue is there is that the same government you look to for help in achieving your so-called national interests are the ones propping up the bastards who run the insurance business.

How are you going to work that one out ?

Single Payer would probably mean that the insurance industry would be guaranteed to get even wealthier.

Yes, too many Americans think they have the right to force others to pay for their health care.

Your shared responsibility is nothing more than the fiction they call a social contract......

I agree we need to help people. The foolish POV taken by the far left is that somehow you'll get this done and everything will be great.

Most "single payer" markets actually have private systems too.

What does that tell you ?

That there will always be people with the means and the desire to pay more for "special" treatment?

That flexibility is a good thing?

That this bullshit your side keeps spreading about how "OMG, we're all going to be slaves to the government!!!!" is just that?

Oh, and don't forget that single payer still has to get the money to pay from somewhere.

We spend way to much on health care as it is.

What do you think happens when the government gets invovled.

Another major health insurer is scaling back operations in ObamaCare due to unsustainable costs. This is, of course, the inevitable result that those of us who didn't drink the Messiah's Kool-Aid told everyone would happen.

UnitedHealth, the nation's biggest health insurer, will cut its participation in public health insurance exchanges to only a handful of states next year after expanding to nearly three dozen for this year.

CEO Stephen Hemsley said Tuesday that the company expects losses from its exchange business to total more than $1 billion for this year and last. He added that the company cannot continue to broadly serve the market created by the Affordable Care Act's coverage expansion due partly to the higher risk that comes with its customers.

News from The Associated Press

Cherry picking the business.

1 billion in losses.....I wonder how they survive.

It's also the predictable ploy of any industry who depends on government policy for its profits.

Your shared responsibility is nothing more than the fiction they call a social contract......

I agree we need to help people. The foolish POV taken by the far left is that somehow you'll get this done and everything will be great.

Like the Mayflower, the US Constitution with the Bill of Rights.

ROTFLMAO....

Please make the case.

The Constitution creates a limited federal government. Not a nanny state.

Or you can point me to the place it says as much (and spare me the General Welfare Clause....everyone with a brain knows how that one works).

I

It's also the predictable ploy of any industry who depends on government policy for its profits.

Anyone who has done strategic planning knows that the insurance industry has all kinds of plans drawn up and evaluated to look at what works for them.

Single Payer will make their lives very easy and very fat.

As the insurance industry as a whole has done for decades. That you've just learned about it doesn't make it "new."

As the insurance industry as a whole has done for decades. That you've just learned about it doesn't make it "new."

Fuck off, troll. I've known about this for years. But I think we should work to separate business and government, not merge them further.

I've known about this for years. But I think we should work to separate business and government, not merge them further.

Excellent. So how do we separate the pharma lobby from its pet Congresscritters?

I've known about this for years. But I think we should work to separate business and government, not merge them further.

Excellent. So how do we separate the pharma lobby from its pet Congresscritters?

Take away their power to make money for Big Pharma. This the core problem of a regulatory regime. It merges political power inextricably with economic power. It's a two way street - whenever we give government the power to make or break a given business, that business has a vital interest in influencing government.

ROTFLMAO....

Please make the case.

Or you can point me to the place it says as much (and spare me the General Welfare Clause....everyone with a brain knows how that one works).
A "limited federal government."

Now let us argue over the limits.

Good god some of you people are odd, or is that limited in your ability to grasp the basic? Not sure.

ROTFLMAO....

Please make the case.

A "limited federal government."

Now let us argue over the limits.

Good god some of you people are odd, or is that limited in your ability to grasp the basic? Not sure.

They're Internet Libertopians, Randians for the most part who've never thought their "philosophy" through or, to sum it up in Sun Devil's case, "Me, ME, MEEEEEEE!"

Take away their power to make money for Big Pharma. This the core problem of a regulatory regime. It merges political power inextricably with economic power. It's a two way street - whenever we give government the power to make or break a given business, that business has a vital interest in influencing government.

I agree. The problem is that you'd be hard pressed to find a society going all the way back to ancient Mesopotamia that didn't have some sort of rapprochement between commerce and government...except for agrarian/communal societies and/or societies in which government controlled everything.

Power seeks power; it's that simple. And the average citizen, even in large groups, isn't going to be able to wrest that power from this particular symbiosis.

Which is why, loathsome as the thought may be, the only way to control pharma costs is to sic someone as powerful on Big Pharma - i.e., the insurers.

That's ostensibly part of the reform that would evolve out of the PPACA, once Stupid State Legislators stop balking at Medicaid expansion and let the thing work as it was intended.

Or, something even the Trumpster has fielded (although he's probably changed his mind several times by now), the dreaded "single payer."

Unless you've got a better idea, in which case, I'm listening.

I agree. The problem is that you'd be hard pressed to find a society going all the way back to ancient Mesopotamia that didn't have some sort of rapprochement between commerce and government...except for agrarian/communal societies and/or societies in which government controlled everything.

It's been a while, that's true. It might be a shorter path to go forward, to a society that has learned that using government to control our economy isn't a good idea. It's essentially the same path we walked with religion. It took centuries of indulging theocracies before we learned to separate religion and government.

Power seeks power; it's that simple. And the average citizen, even in large groups, isn't going to be able to wrest that power from this particular symbiosis.

Which is why, loathsome as the thought may be, the only way to control pharma costs is to sic someone as powerful on Big Pharma - i.e., the insurers.

That's ostensibly part of the reform that would evolve out of the PPACA, once Stupid State Legislators stop balking at Medicaid expansion and let the thing work as it was intended.

That's corporatism - the idea that the role of government should be playing competing interest groups against one another.

Unless you've got a better idea, in which case, I'm listening.

Yeah? I haven't noticed. You listening that is. There are better ideas listed all over these boards, posted by myself and many others. It seems you always manage to steer around them.

(A) I don't have the time or the inclination to read every thread on this board
(B) Most of what I've seen in this forum is folks like Greenbeard and Care4All and Flopper et al. presenting solid data, and the other side throwing tantrums, and
(C) I listened to you, didn't I? :p

Forum List

Back