United 93

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by BATMAN, Apr 2, 2006.

1. BATMAN

BATMAN Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I don't think it's too soon. A lot of people need to remember exactly what happened. I think this could be a good reminder as long as the movie doesn't have an agenda behind it. I most likely will see it.

There's a direct link to the trailer in the above story - it's pretty gripping, you just have to watch a 25 second Fabio commercial first.

2. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    I think it's too soon for a reenactment. If they wanted to make a documentary, that's one thing, but with a movie, I can't help but think about a room full of movie execs arguing over details: "well, I think when the plane hits, Character A should be disemboweled on the chair in front of him", etc.

I'm kinda of the mindset that there will never be a good movie specifically about 9/11. 25th Hour was good and had a lot of great things to say about 9/11 and how New Yorkers reacted to it, but it wasn't just a straight-up reenactment of that day (the plot had nothing to do with it, actually).

I don't know. The whole thing seems tasteless. I won't be seeing it, I won't even watch the trailer, but I guess it'll probably do pretty well.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. BATMAN

BATMAN Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Reenactments do not have to be tasteless. BlackHawk Down, Saving Private Ryan (not true story about Ryan but set in real war) reenacted real life events (storming Normandy in Ryan) and did it in a "docudrama" way without going full blown Hollywood.

I think those who might have a problem with it are those who just want to get past it and forget it.

4. Dan

Dan Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +157
    Fair enough, but will you at least agree that the people who greenlighted this thing weren't doing it out of respect, but out of wanting to make money? Because to assume otherwise is kind of naive, I think.

By the time Saving Private Ryan was made, WWII had become part of popular culture, and a big part of what Speilberg did was to show the realities of a war that had been glossed over for almost half a century. Everyone remembers how horrific 9/11 was, to make a movie like this five years after the fact seems almost sadistic to me.

Moreover, the men in Saving Private Ryan were soldiers, they were doing their jobs (although, obviously, it was a job they were forced to do). It seems a lot more tasteless to show innocent people dying in a horrific plane crash than it does to show soldiers dying on a battlefield.

The true-life story of Black Hawk Down had nowhere near the same national impact as the events of 9/11, so I don't think the two have much in common as far as that goes.

It's not that I want to forget, or ever will forget, what happened that day. But, only five years after it happened, to put a bunch of actors playing the real people on a set of a plane meant to look like the real plane, and show the last seconds of these peoples' lives just turns my stomach. And the fact that it is pretty clearly more about money than any sort of respect.

5. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I don't want to get past it, I don't want to forget it.

I believe the film makers have every right to make the film. However I do believe it is not the best choice to do so right now.

6. BATMAN

BATMAN Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Serious question - when would the right time be for you?

7. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Good question, not really sure.

My concern is, and perhaps not so much with this perticual film, is revisionist history. Film makers are going to make assumptions and fictionalize real tragic events that still have quite an impact on our perceptions of the current war on terror.

8. BATMAN

BATMAN Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Well I have to respect the fact that the writer/director secured the approval of every victim's family - I would like to think they're not out to make money off of this.

To me it did. When Clinton cut and run after that event, Osama labled us a "paper tiger" - We know what happend 8 years later.

9. BATMAN

BATMAN Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I think that's much more a possibility with the "World Trade Center" movie coming out in Aug by Oliver Stone than with this one.

I say that because the trailer does not give me the "Hollywood" feel to it. The movie has no name actors in it for one, unlike Stone's who has Nicholas Cage headlining it.

10. insein

insein Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +356
    i think the best film about 9/11 was that first hand footage by those guys that were in the towers with the firemen before they fell. That was real. That was drama.