Unemployment Rate Falls to 8.6%...

The way things have been since September of 2008, I celebrate every improvement. And I think we are seeing improvement. I would argue it is in spite of what the clowns in DC are doing, rather than because of it.

As Trajan pointed out, some of the improvement comes from the way statistics are compiled. My unemployment ran out, so I am no longer unemployed. Even though I am worse off by 300 per week and still not working

I got 2 brothers in the same boat. Good luck my friend, may 2012 being you a good job.

I don't want to piss in anyone's corn flakes, but out of the 120k new jobs about 50k were in retail and 22k were in leisure. Which is about 64%, so the real question is what'll happen after new year's and the holiday season is over and the bills come due?

The important numbers will be next summer heading into the election. We'll see.

Bottom Line - Employment growth picked up speed in November; jobless rate falls to 8.6 percent

I'm sure it will be Adjusted up in the near future, but at least we are not going to the Highs of the Last Generational Correction which saw over 11% Unemployment.

Now Truthdont, rightwinger and the rest... Give the Credit to Obama. :thup:

:)

peace...

1...2...3.... and Cue!

Many see this as a glass half full.

Cons see it as a glass that is empty.

Just keep spewing trash on a recovering economy, Im sure it will win you the next election.......NOT

Policy can effect these things , its why we have elections.

FDR gets credit for helping end a depression and Obama gets credit for helping end a recession.

Bush gets credit for aiding a world wide crash.

Presidents do matter no matter how much you pretend they dont

As does Congress, both arms :eusa_angel:

What recession did Obama end?....

What??
You didn't know??
Do try and keep up...in another 6 months another 400,000 are going to fall off the unemployment radar and then TM and others can go on about even lower unemployment figures.
Hell...who cares if it is a farce?? This makes Obama look good!!

DANGER DANGER WILL ROBINSON! What can the GOP do to through a wrench in the improvement? This is NOT good for the Repubs!

GO NEWT!

The methodology used to future the unemployment rate is so confusing that this is the result. In plain numbers, the 2006 election in November of that year installed the Democrats in control of both houses of Congress. When they assumed the Majority, about 138 million Americans were working in jobs producing a paycheck.

Today, after only 5 years of Democrat control, that number is down to about 133.5 million.

That's a reduction of 4.5 million jobs.

Over the same period, the population grew by about 13 million.

Removing all the bull spit from the convoluted methodology, the percent of jobs to population when the Dems took over was, that is the employment rate, was about 46%.

That rate of employment today is 42.6%. That is reduction of people working by a whole bunch. They said they would make things more equal and, in truth, they have. More and more people are miserable. By the numbers, if we had the same employment rate today as we had then, there would be about 144 million Americans employed. There are about 133.5 million Americans employed. For all of the lip service paid to the Democrat Support of the working man, the actual result is that they eliminate jobs. Almost 2 million jobs per year if we can believe the actual history of the thing.

EconStats : Civilian Labor Force seas adj Total Employees (Household Survey) seas adj Total Employees (aka nonfarm payroll employment or nonfarm payrolls; from Establishment Survey) seas adj
www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/geos/us.html
US population hits 300 million, but is it sustainable? - Americas - World - The Independent

Last edited:
WARNING!!!

Anyone who claims these unemployment figures are false is a counter-revolutionary and enemy of the people; i.e., a domestic terrorist.

As was announced earlier this week by Dear Leader, the Regime has the right to exercise executive power and assassinate any terrorist - citizen or not, or US soil or not - without trial, indictment or formal charges.

REPORT SUSPECTED COUNTER-REVOLUTIONARIES TO THE DEPT. OF HOMELAND SECURITY

Policy can effect these things , its why we have elections.

FDR gets credit for helping end a depression and Obama gets credit for helping end a recession.

Bush gets credit for aiding a world wide crash.

Presidents do matter no matter how much you pretend they dont

Unless FDR started WW2, he did not end the Depression. The real hero in that must have been Hitler. Go figure. The simplistic approach you endorse is not one that reflects reality.

Our current crash was the result of the disaster of the drive to give away housing to those who could not afford to buy it. Both parties were complicit, but it didn't happen until after the Congress stopped submitting budgets.

Which party is it that refuses to make a budgetary plan and runs up massive deficits?

Hint: Harry, Nancy and the Big 0 are in that party.

Last edited:
Many see this as a glass half full.

Cons see it as a glass that is empty.

Just keep spewing trash on a recovering economy, Im sure it will win you the next election.......NOT

No matter how you twist it, there are about 10 million people who are not working right now who were working when Harry met Nancy.

NEW YORK | Thu Dec 1, 2011 9:11am EST
(Reuters) - New claims for unemployment benefits rose unexpectedly last week, popping above 400,000 for the first time in just over a month and reinforcing the view that the battered labor market was healing only slowly.

KEY POINTS: * Initial claims for state unemployment benefits climbed to a seasonally adjusted 402,000 from an upwardly revised 396,000 in the prior week, the Labor Department said on Thursday.
* Economists polled by Reuters had forecast claims at 390,000.

COMMENTS:

GARY THAYER, CHIEF MACRO STRATEGIST, WELLS FARGO ADVISORS, ST. LOUIS, MISSOURI:

"There was an uptick in jobless claims after seeing a declining trend. We need to watch claims closely. If claims start to rise from here it would not be a good sign for the economy. But other indicators at this point suggest the economy is doing a little better so maybe we should not read too much into this.

Instant view: Jobless claims rise above 400,000 | Reuters

The way things have been since September of 2008, I celebrate every improvement. And I think we are seeing improvement. I would argue it is in spite of what the clowns in DC are doing, rather than because of it.

As Trajan pointed out, some of the improvement comes from the way statistics are compiled. My unemployment ran out, so I am no longer unemployed. Even though I am worse off by 300 per week and still not working

Actually you are still counted as unemployed as long as you are still looking for a job.
Most people confuse unemployment insurance with being unemployed, but the two are indeed seperate.
The unemployment rate is NOT calculated based on how many checks the government is sending out. The only two qualifications to being counted as unemployed are the following
A) you do not have a job
B) you have looked for a job in the past 6 months.

Geez - are we going to have 10 of these brainless kool-aid threads today?
Even MSNBC for God's sakes admitted the 8.6% number is deceiving in that 315,000 people fell off of the chart due to no longer receiving benefits and have given up looking for a job.
So in reality - in November - what should be a strong employment month - it is a loss.

Thank Obama for 315,000 people giving up on their lives and not even trying to find a job anymore.

It is not a loss in any real sense of the word. But it is not nearly as good as the dems would make it out to seem.
First off the 8.6% is truly decieving. It should have stayed flat or dropped by .1%.
November numbers are not typically stronger, because the employment numbers are seasonally adjusted.
Basically what the job report is saying is that 120k permanent jobs were added in november and they adjusted the previous months up 70k. So in another words, today they announced that the economy had 190k more jobs then they thought they had last month. In order to keep up with growing population the economy needs to add 125k per month. So the economy really did lower the unemployed by 65k (NOT counting holliday hirings and not counting and not counting those that dropped out of the workforce)

Yep.
Republicans have got to turn this thing around. If this rate continues to improve by the fall of 2012 it's going to be obvious to everyone that the recover is real. Republicans are going to have to do something to stop the recovery. Possibly, blocking the the payroll tax cut renewal, but will be that enough?

Geez - are we going to have 10 of these brainless kool-aid threads today?
Even MSNBC for God's sakes admitted the 8.6% number is deceiving in that 315,000 people fell off of the chart due to no longer receiving benefits and have given up looking for a job.
So in reality - in November - what should be a strong employment month - it is a loss.

Thank Obama for 315,000 people giving up on their lives and not even trying to find a job anymore.

It is not a loss in any real sense of the word. But it is not nearly as good as the dems would make it out to seem.
First off the 8.6% is truly decieving. It should have stayed flat or dropped by .1%.
November numbers are not typically stronger, because the employment numbers are seasonally adjusted.
Basically what the job report is saying is that 120k permanent jobs were added in november and they adjusted the previous months up 70k. So in another words, today they announced that the economy had 190k more jobs then they thought they had last month. In order to keep up with growing population the economy needs to add 125k per month. So the economy really did lower the unemployed by 65k (NOT counting holliday hirings and not counting and not counting those that dropped out of the workforce)

The 315,000 seasonal drop in the civilian labor force is almost unprecedented for a November. Since 1982, there have been only 7 times the labor force has dropped between an October and a November, and only 3 times has the drop been even close to this steep. In 2002, 273,000 departed the labor force, in 2008, 332,000 departed the labor force, and in 2009, 227,000 departed the labor force.

Employment Situation Summary

Yep.
Republicans have got to turn this thing around. If this rate continues to improve by the fall of 2012 it's going to be obvious to everyone that the recover is real. Republicans are going to have to do something to stop the recovery. Possibly, blocking the the payroll tax cut renewal, but will be that enough?

I actually thought you were one of the sane posters here, my mistake.

If the the labor force participation rate were back at its January 2009 level, the U-3 rate would be 11.0 percent.

WOO HOO!!! Obama is great!! :cuckoo::cuckoo:

Last edited:
Yep.

I think my post is quite sane and reasonable. Obama's biggest problem is his record on the economy. Economic recovery is vital to his re-election. To think that Republicans will not do whatever they can to forestall any recovery till after the election is insane.

Yep.

I think my post is quite sane and reasonable. Obama's biggest problem is his record on the economy. Economic recovery is vital to his re-election. To think that Republicans will not do whatever they can to forestall any recovery till after the election is insane.

uh huh. Ok.

so, let me ask, do you think the dems would do same? or have done same? or, like played politics with the war in iraq?

I am on the other side and I will admit, this is a positive report. The reason I like it the most is because employment in the public sector dropped another 20,000 positions. This actually proves that we can continue to see the kinds of cuts that we need, and continue to cut the size of govt without it having a big impact on the economy. Contrary to what progressives say.

uh huh. Ok.

so, let me ask, do you think the dems would do same? or have done same? or, like played politics with the war in iraq?
Both sides play politics, however unless the two sides come to some agreement, there will little progress on long term deficit reduction. The best that can be hoped for is a stabilization at current levels which is certainly not acceptable.

uh huh. Ok.

Both sides play politics,

I assume, thats an agreement as to what I posted above.

I think you are wrong. These battle over the last 20 years especially have become ideological. I don't think anyone one of them says fuc the American people, we are not going to do or not do something we know or think will help. I just think they are slaves to their ideology/driving philosophy.

Liberalism, as in gov. direction of and the monumental 'transfer' spending that goes along with it is imploding. The gop doesn't have to do a thing to stop or help it, its on automatic pilot. It weighs on the economy, heavily.

however unless the two sides come to some agreement, there will little progress on long term deficit reduction. The best that can be hoped for is a stabilization at current levels which is certainly not acceptable.

see above.

oh btw the way, do you know the senate closed the defense appropriation budget for 2012 the other day. 527 billion, a 6% reduction ( has zip to do with the ME), that figures included no base line increase.

so, medicare, medicaid and SSI...whats the plan?

Last edited:

Forum List

Back