Understanding white privilege

Discussion in 'Race Relations/Racism' started by Bass v 2.0, Jul 3, 2009.

1. Bass v 2.0

Bass v 2.0 Biblical Warrior For God.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +528
  2. JBeukema

JBeukema BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,705
    How about instead of blaming all you woes on Whites, you do something with you life and use your success, money, and influence to help others succeed?. How about instead of blaming the White man for all your problems and pushing for special treatment, you get back to the dream of King and do away with Affirmative Action and your Afrocentric bullshit and start helping to work towards true equality? Just what the hell do you think you're going to achieve by crying all the time? Ever think that this 'poor us' mindset might have something to do with why so many of your race never do shit with their lives?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. DamnYankee

DamnYankee No Neg Policy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441
  4. Gurdari

Gurdari Egaliterra

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Pointing out inequality, or that a system is favoring some over others is not really whining, or crying... and realising that things may be stacked against certain types of people is not the same as refusing to go out there and try hard, or whatever.

There is white priviledge, and there is institutionalized racism, and there is cultural baggage, cultural power and other factors swimming around us all the time. No harm in pointing it out, is there?

The more we all pay attention to the world around us the better.

5. DamnYankee

DamnYankee No Neg Policy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +441

I'd pay particular attention to the "baggage" if I were you, and forget to claim it.

6. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Yes, I've been paying attention. It's come to my attention that what they call "white privilege" is basically just WHITES WORKING HARD TO PROVIDE FOR THEMSELVES AND THEIRS.

Blacks don't have "black privilege" --- at least not that's made by themselves --- because they tend NOT TO WORK HARD.

The only "black privilege" is affirmative action... which whites created, by the way.

7. AkronGuy

AkronGuy Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +29
    it's class priviledge, not white priviledge. A middleclass black person has more priviledge in society because of their class than a poor white person. I grew up as a poor white cultural minority and I got nothing out of being white. In fact my dialect, accent and background of extreme poverty held me back. But I didn't let it stop me, just made it a lot harder. If you want and you're willing to put in the work and effort to get it, you've got a whole hell of a lot better chance of getting it.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. goshinj

goshinj Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The source(article), which was attached to the first post is obviously some Doctoral students opinion and it almost seems self hatred of being white and of the white race. Or, maybe I shouldn't say race, as the article's writer doesn't beleive that white people see themselves as a race of people and that we just seem to see ourselves as clear. I'm sorry people, but that's about the biggest crock or horsesh#t I've ever heard. I'm white, I see myself as a race just as any other. I have friends of all races and would never claim any of them to be clear. That's just a deragatory statement within itself in only the 2nd paragraph of the entire document. Anyone can have a perspective on the world and see it in a different view. That's fine. Just don't act like white people caused all of the problems for blacks and for the wrongdoing of this country. Black slaves were sold by black slave masters to white master's. Exactly where does this come up in the conversation. There is an entire other argument for this conversation and it could go on forever. Everyone wants to put blame on things that happened hundreds of years ago. That's the way it turned out, accept it, move on, stop bitching, and look at your own self to see what you can accomplish in life.

9. B94

B94 Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I think there is both white priviledge and class priviledge. In general blacks are victims of both, while most whites are only victims of one.

10. KittenKoder

KittenKoder Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,714
    Bullshit!

In the US black folk have just as much "privilege" as the white folk. We all have the same opportunities. Compare us to other countries and they have it it so well here they are kings and queens of the fucking world. I am sick of this, starting to think the KKK may have a damned point the more I see this shit.