Under 9 weeks until the start of College Football

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
Post-spring Top 25: An offseason contenders check-in

This is SI's early college football predictions.

#1 - Clemson.
Still got lots of talent, including a future Heisman caliber QB. But that front 4 on the D line was what made last years team so dangerous. 3 of them went in the first round of the draft. Yeah, they'll be in the mix at the end of the regular season.

#2 - Alabama.
Much of the offense is back, and added some new talent behind Tua. Great recruiting means there are people ready to step up. Since Saban has been in Tuscaloosa, when Bama got smacked around at the end of the previous year, they came back with a vengence.

#3 - Georgia.
#4 - Ohio State
#5 - Notre Dame
#6 - Oklahome
#7 - Michigan
#8 - Florida
#9 - Texas
#10 - Texas A&M

Post-spring Top 25: An offseason contenders check-in

This is SI's early college football predictions.

#1 - Clemson.
Still got lots of talent, including a future Heisman caliber QB. But that front 4 on the D line was what made last years team so dangerous. 3 of them went in the first round of the draft. Yeah, they'll be in the mix at the end of the regular season.

#2 - Alabama.
Much of the offense is back, and added some new talent behind Tua. Great recruiting means there are people ready to step up. Since Saban has been in Tuscaloosa, when Bama got smacked around at the end of the previous year, they came back with a vengence.

#3 - Georgia.
#4 - Ohio State
#5 - Notre Dame
#6 - Oklahome
#7 - Michigan
#8 - Florida
#9 - Texas
#10 - Texas A&M
Finally, watching golf is enough to make someone drink...

I have no idea but that list is boring. Ohio state again. Notre Dame? Please. Oklahoma. Why don’t we just watch a rerun of last year. Let’s hope for some new blood.
Perhaps Cinderella will show up this year. UCF?

Clemson's offense is the one that will light it on fire this year, it will always be a high scoring game, for both teams.

The rules being what they are have the two best teams in the four picked to play. The argument is on other teams being included in the playoff scenario. Smaller universities playing tough have a gripe though. There was a time when winning the big bowl games was more important then winning the national championship.

The rules being what they are have the two best teams in the four picked to play. The argument is on other teams being included in the playoff scenario. Smaller universities playing tough have a gripe though. There was a time when winning the big bowl games was more important then winning the national championship.

Big rivalries and big bowl games have always been important. But I don't recall either ever being more important than winning the national championship. And I have been watching college football since the 1960s.

Big rivalries and big bowl games have always been important. But I don't recall either ever being more important than winning the national championship. And I have been watching college football since the 1960s.

Winter, I still miss the Rose bowl when it meant something..:(

The national championship was a subjective vote. I remember Nixon saying he liked Texas in 1969 I believe and Penn State got screwed. They were both undefeated and were ranked in the top 2 spots. Those big bowl games were pushed by the networks constantly with conference champions against each other in most of them although independents played in a couple. They ruled the roost as the national championship was very rarely about 2 teams meeting each other for it.

Winter, I still miss the Rose bowl when it meant something..:(

It meant something when Bama beat Texas for the National Championship in the 2009 season.

I think the bowls mean something to the teams playing in them. That is what really counts (if its not the Nat. Championship)

The national championship was a subjective vote. I remember Nixon saying he liked Texas in 1969 I believe and Penn State got screwed. They were both undefeated and were ranked in the top 2 spots. Those big bowl games were pushed by the networks constantly with conference champions against each other in most of them although independents played in a couple. They ruled the roost as the national championship was very rarely about 2 teams meeting each other for it.

And the new system, for the most part, has the championship earned on the field instead of as a popularity contest.

Here is a scary trend for those who want to see the Crimson Tide lose.

Since 2008, when Alabama lost badly in a season, the next year they won the National Championship.

In 2008 Alabama lost to Florida & Tim Tebow in the SEC Championship and then were humiliated by Utah in the bowl game (17-31).
In 2009 Alabama beat Florida & Tebow in the SEC Championship and went undefeated to win the NC.

In 2010 Alabama lost 3 games (S.Carolina, LSU and auburn). The worst season in the last 10 years.
In 2011 Alabama only had one loss, an OT loss to LSU. They went 12-1 and won the NC.

In 2014 Alabama made the playoffs, but were beaten by Ohio State in the semifinal.
In 2015 Alabama went 14-1 and won the NC.

In 2016 Alabama lost a close game for the Championship to Clemson (31-35).
In 2017 Alabama destroyed Clemson (24-6) and beat Georgia in an OT thriller to win the NC.

The exception to all of this was the 2013 season which saw Alabama lose to auburn in a freakishly rare play and then get beaten by Oklahoma (31-45) in the bowl game.

Will this season see Bama rise to the occasion? I think so.

Hmm...Iowa ranked 18 with a schedule that includes 5 ranked teams.

Should be an interesting season. Go Hawkeyes!

41SeKqxhFNL._SX466_.jpg

Forum List

Back