UN Arms Trade Treaty Approved

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
The ATT was just approved by the United Nations General Assembly. Iran, North Korea, and Syria did their very best to block it, but it has finally passed.

You are going to be hearing a great deal of nonsense about the ATT in the coming days. You are going to hear it is a treaty which will allow Obama to come fer yer gunz. You will hear it is a treaty which violates the Second Amendment.

And that is complete bullshit. But don't take my word for it. Read the treaty for yourself: http://www.un.org/disarmament/ATT/docs/Draft_ATT_text_27_Mar_2013-E.pdf

When someone makes a ridiculous claim about the ATT, give them that link and ask them to quote the part where Obama gets to come for your guns, or quote the part which violates the Second Amendment.

Read it. Seriously. Read the goddam thing before you listen to some on air dipshit or foam flecked rabid blogger or watch some paranoid YouTube video accompanied by doom music.

READ IT!!!

The treaty requires exporters of arms to not export weapons to other countries if doing so:

(a) would contribute to or undermine peace and security;
(b) could be used to:
(i) commit or facilitate a serious violation of international humanitarian law;
(ii) commit or facilitate a serious violation of international human rights law
(iii) commit or facilitate an act constituting an offence under international conventions or protocols relating to terrorism to which the exporting State is a Party; or
(iv) commit or facilitate an act constituting an offence under international conventions or protocols relating to transnational organized crime to which the exporting State is a Party.

Small wonder that Iran, North Korea, and Syria tried to stop it.

154 of 193 nations voted in favor of the treaty. That's a slam dunk.

It will become international law once 50 of those countries have ratified it. Considering the overwhelming vote in the General Assembly, that 50 country ratification will probably happen very quickly.

Gun makers are not happy about this treaty. They have been trying to poison little minds against this treaty for a while now, manufacturing all kinds of bullshit about what it is and what it does.

They are going to lose a lot of money if they can't sell arms to shitholes like Iran, North Korea, and Syria or to tinpot dictators.

So read the treaty for yourself. It's not that long. Won't take but a few minutes to read it and arm yourself against the massive landslide of unadulterated bullshit that's about to be shoveled into the mouths of mindless parrots over it.

The ATT was just approved by the United Nations General Assembly. Iran, North Korea, and Syria did their very best to block it, but it has finally passed.

You are going to be hearing a great deal of nonsense about the ATT in the coming days. You are going to hear it is a treaty which will allow Obama to come fer yer gunz. You will hear it is a treaty which violates the Second Amendment.

And that is complete bullshit. But don't take my word for it. Read the treaty for yourself: http://www.un.org/disarmament/ATT/docs/Draft_ATT_text_27_Mar_2013-E.pdf

When someone makes a ridiculous claim about the ATT, give them that link and ask them to quote the part where Obama gets to come for your guns, or quote the part which violates the Second Amendment.

Read it. Seriously. Read the goddam thing before you listen to some on air dipshit or foam flecked rabid blogger or watch some paranoid YouTube video accompanied by doom music.

READ IT!!!

The treaty requires exporters of arms to not export weapons to other countries if doing so:

(b) could be used to:
(iii) commit or facilitate an act constituting an offence under international conventions or protocols relating to terrorism to which the exporting State is a Party; or
(iv) commit or facilitate an act constituting an offence under international conventions or protocols relating to transnational organized crime to which the exporting State is a Party.

It will become international law once 50 of those countries have ratified it. Considering the overwhelming vote in the General Assembly, that 50 country ratification will probably happen very quickly.

Gun makers are not happy about this treaty. They have been trying to poison little minds against this treaty for a while now, manufacturing all kinds of bullshit about what it is and what it does.

They are going to lose a lot of money if they can't sell arms to shitholes like Iran, North Korea, and Syria or to tinpot dictators.

So read the treaty for yourself. It's not that long. Won't take but a few minutes to read it and arm yourself against the massive landslide of unadulterated bullshit that's about to be shoveled into the mouths of mindless parrots over it.

Does that mean that the US can no longer ship tanks, aircraft, etc to the Middle East?

Obama comin fer ma guns!!!!!! Dad gum it, da fedrul gubmint done gone and said dey comin fer ma guns!!! Over my dead body! My cold dead hands!!!! Dey gurrna takes mee guns!!!!

READ IT!!!

(b) could be used to:

Does that mean that the US can no longer ship tanks, aircraft, etc to the Middle East?

No, it does not mean that.

I do wonder, however, if a company like Glock (Austria) can no longer ship Glocks to the US, as it is the most commonly used pistol by American police? Some nut could say GLocks are being used here for crime and chaos, thus, shouldnt be shipped here.

Oh well. If it does, they can switch to the Smith and Wesson M&P, American made.

After all, more jobs for Americans, more products made in America. What is better than that?

Here is Article 8 (1) of the ATT which may cause some contention:

Each importing State Party shall take measures to ensure that appropriate and relevant information is provided, upon request, pursuant to its national laws, to the exporting State Party, to assist the exporting State Party in conducting its national export assessment under Article 7. Such measures may include end use or end user documentation.

On the surface, this looks like if you bought a gun from Beretta, say, our government would have to give Italy "end user documentation".

However, the US is not on any list of terroristic states, is not violating any human rights treaties, is not committing genocide, etc. So I would need to see hard evidence your name would have to be provided to Italy if you bought a Beretta. The ATT says "may include", not "must include".

And "end user" is open to interpretation as well.

Besides, the Berettas we buy here are made in the USA. Beretta built a factory in the US a long time ago precisely to get around other international arms treaties on the importation of handguns.

I do wonder, however, if a company like Glock (Austria) can no longer ship Glocks to the US, as it is the most commonly used pistol by American police? Some nut could say GLocks are being used here for crime and chaos, thus, shouldnt be shipped here.

Oh well. If it does, they can switch to the Smith and Wesson M&P, American made.

After all, more jobs for Americans, more products made in America. What is better than that?

Ah! I guess you posted this while I was writing my previous post.

See my previous post. :D

And there is a Glock, USA factory, too.

Last edited:
Another U.N. decision the U.S can selectively ignore. I thought neonuts hated the U.N. ?

I don't care much for the UN. But I believe any conversation about any UN treaty should be based on facts. Opposing a treaty or law or policy, or anything at all, based on a mountain of false premises is not good for one's mental health, and will frequently result in catastrophic failure when elections roll around.

I'm sure that resolution will work fine for the legal arms dealers. I'm also sure that all the illegal dealers in guns, and there are loads of em out there, will totally ignore it.

I'm sure that resolution will work fine for the legal arms dealers. I'm also sure that all the illegal dealers in guns, and there are loads of em out there, will totally ignore it.

How many illegal arms dealers sell Apache helicopters or JDAMs?

Another U.N. decision the U.S can selectively ignore. I thought neonuts hated the U.N. ?

I don't care much for the UN. But I believe any conversation about any UN treaty should be based on facts. Opposing a treaty or law or policy, or anything at all, based on a mountain of false premises is not good for one's mental health, and will frequently result in catastrophic failure when elections roll around.

It is a fact that the U.S.( and other countries) have ignored U.N. decisions in the past.

It is simply hilarious to think the UN, an organization that has proven it self to be nothing more than ineffectual sounding board has jurisdiction or authority over any sovereign country. To think any country would give this body the time of day is preposterous to say the least.

My two major objections, first it creates another UN bureaucracy that we will wind up funding the lions share of. Two, the amendment process, would amendments be subject to senate ratification? For me that's enough to vote no and I will tell my senators exactly that.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back