U.S. Retail Sales Unexpectedly Fall the Most in Nine Years

McRocket

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2018
'U.S. retail sales unexpectedly fell in December, posting the worst drop in nine years in a sign of slower economic momentum at year-end amid financial market turmoil and the government shutdown.

The value of overall sales fell 1.2 percent from the prior month after a downwardly revised 0.1 percent increase in November, according to Commerce Department figures released Thursday after a four-week delay due to the shutdown. That missed all economist estimates in a Bloomberg survey that had called for a 0.1 percent gain.'

Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

The usually, VERY accurate GDPNow just slashed it's Q4 GDP growth from 2.7% all the way down to 1.5%.

gdpnow-forecast-evolution.gif

GDPNow - Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta

If the above holds...that would mean GDP growth for 2018 would have been a tepid 2.8%.

So much for Trump's booming economy.

'U.S. retail sales unexpectedly fell in December, posting the worst drop in nine years in a sign of slower economic momentum at year-end amid financial market turmoil and the government shutdown.

The value of overall sales fell 1.2 percent from the prior month after a downwardly revised 0.1 percent increase in November, according to Commerce Department figures released Thursday after a four-week delay due to the shutdown. That missed all economist estimates in a Bloomberg survey that had called for a 0.1 percent gain.'

The usually, VERY accurate GDPNow just slashed it's Q4 GDP growth from 2.7% all the way down to 1.5%.

If the above holds...that would mean GDP growth for 2018 would have been a tepid 2.8%.

So, it looks like TrumpPutin & the GOP added another $2 TRILLION to the debt for a very small increase of GDP.

:abgg2q.jpg:

Fake news I say.:21::21::21:

Who even cares? Thanks to the "Trump/Russia" thing going "poof", the left is desperately throwing up against wall whatever garbage they can fish out of the dumpster.

Still voting for him in 2020. :banana::dance::mm::5_1_12024:

Who even cares? Thanks to the "Trump/Russia" thing going "poof", the left is desperately throwing up against wall whatever garbage they can fish out of the dumpster.

You were just talking trash about Obama for not having an annual GDP growth above 3 and now you ask who even cares.

You sheep cannot even keep your stories straight

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

• Banned
That the market corrected and people rushed to pay off their lines of credit instead of spending, is just as plausible an explanation.

Not everything the markets do has a political explanation.

Who cares why?

The fact remains that Trump is responsible for the economy...he has said so MANY times.

And if these numbers hold true, that means that the BOOMING economy Trump/Trumpbots have bragged about is little/no better than it was under Obama...but with FAR larger deficits on average under Trump (current FY deficit is running at over $1.2 TRILLION).

https://www.fiscal.treasury.gov/files/reports-statements/mts/mts.pdf

2.8% GDP growth for 2018 if the above numbers hold (after only 2.5% in 2017)?

Only a macroeconomic moron would call that a 'BOOMING' economy.

Spin it all you wish pal.

Golfing Gator summed it up well in the post above this one - Trump has drastically increased the deficits while barely/not increasing the GDP Growth.

I call that FAILURE.

We are done here.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:

So, you are saying that you don't care about GDP Growth or huge, fiscal deficits?

Yes or No, please?

Last edited:

So, you are saying that you don't care about GDP Growth or huge, fiscal deficits?

Yes or No, please?

BFD. So the government applied its seasonal adjustments that made retail sales appear like a loss. Then there was the government shutdown a few days before Christmas, and an unusual bout of cold weather that struck large portions of the country.

You zipperheads can run around like Chicken Little with your doom and gloom predictions and get your little pink panties in a wad, but I'm waiting to see what the January and February data have to say about the state of the economy.

That the market corrected and people rushed to pay off their lines of credit instead of spending, is just as plausible an explanation.

Who cares why?

The fact remains that Trump is responsible for the economy...he has said so MANY times.

And if these numbers hold true, that means that the BOOMING economy Trump/Trumpbots have bragged about is little/no better than it was under Obama...but with FAR larger deficits on average under Trump (current FY deficit is running at over $1.2 TRILLION).

Golfing Gator summed it up well in the post above this one - Trump has drastically increased the deficits while barely/not increasing the GDP Growth.

I call that FAILURE.

We are done here.

Have a nice day.

Aren't you getting tired of all this winning?
MAGA!!!

Who cares why?

I call that FAILURE.

We are done here.

Have a nice day.

MAGA!!!

More likely tired of a 2+ year long losing streak. They just haven't been the same since Hillary lost.

Who cares why?

I call that FAILURE.

We are done here.

Have a nice day.

MAGA!!!
There has been no winning!

Who cares why?

I call that FAILURE.

We are done here.

Have a nice day.

MAGA!!!
There has been no winning!

That is correct right there!!!!

Who cares why?

I call that FAILURE.

We are done here.

Have a nice day.
Just because the Cheeto, Golfing Gonad, or you say something is so, that doesn't make it so.

There are as many reasons for economic growth and contraction, as there are people participating in the marketplace....That's not spin, that's how it works.

After that, take your condescending "we're done here, have a nice day" shit, and stuff it up your pious know-it-all ass.

Good for you. Nobody voted for Trump in 2018 and 2020 isn't looking good either.

The American middle class is PISSED about the their tax cuts. One woman posted that she got back 1/3 of the amount she got back last year on the same amount of income. Her withholding went down by $90 per month, overall, her tax bill went up by $900. Even the IRS has said the average refund is DOWN and more Americans are paying than in history.

This issue was the linchpin of Trump's selling of the tax cuts. If Americans weren't convinced that Trump was lying about the tax cuts BEFORE, they sure are now.

That's aside from the government shutdown, a wall no one wants, being publically embarassed by Nancy Pelosi, and his performance at Helsinki, which makes every American from either party cringe with embarassment, NATO, his failure to contain Kim's nuclear arsenal, and the daily chaos, bribery and corruption of the Trump White House.

Good for you. Nobody voted for Trump in 2018 and 2020 isn't looking good either.

The American middle class is PISSED about the their tax cuts. One woman posted that she got back 1/3 of the amount she got back last year on the same amount of income. Her withholding went down by $90 per month, overall, her tax bill went up by $900. Even the IRS has said the average refund is DOWN and more Americans are paying than in history.

This issue was the linchpin of Trump's selling of the tax cuts. If Americans weren't convinced that Trump was lying about the tax cuts BEFORE, they sure are now.

That's aside from the government shutdown, a wall no one wants, being publically embarassed by Nancy Pelosi, and his performance at Helsinki, which makes every American from either party cringe with embarassment, NATO, his failure to contain Kim's nuclear arsenal, and the daily chaos, bribery and corruption of the Trump White House.
You don't speak for every Murican, princess.

As far as GDP you make a fair enough of a point, but that does not necessarily translate into something awful. Maybe people bought the same amount of goods but got them cheaper (our local store clearances started about ten days before Christmas). Maybe more people gave cash, etc, that wouldn't be captured by retail sales. Who knows. I certainly gave far more money/gift cards this year than I did tangible gifts. Wasn't that I didn't have the money. I made more in 2018 than I ever have in my life. I just wasn't feeling the holiday spirit.

As far as GDP you make a fair enough of a point, but that does not necessarily translate into something awful. Maybe people bought the same amount of goods but got them cheaper (our local store clearances started about ten days before Christmas). Maybe more people gave cash, etc, that wouldn't be captured by retail sales. Who knows. I certainly gave far more money/gift cards this year than I did tangible gifts. Wasn't that I didn't have the money. I made more in 2018 than I ever have in my life. I just wasn't feeling the holiday spirit.
No...That's not how it works....You see, the economic oracle McButtnugget knows it all.

It's because the Cheeto said things were going great, but because there was a little huccup in the economy, that means everything sucks and that he is a LIAR!

And he has pretty colored charts and graphs to prove it! :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back