U.S. Police Chiefs Call For Background Checks For All Gun Purchases

Yes, and my statement was accurate.

I must perform a background check on every buyer I sell to from my store.
Which is not a gun show or private sale.

Read the OP. Then come back and try again.

Dude get over yourself already, the OP is not only talking about gun shows and private sales it pertains to ALL gun purchases.

Damn you are one dense fuck!
When they talk about ALL gun purchases in the OP, they are saying they want background checks to apply to ALL gun purchases and that they currently don't. They don't apply to 40 percent of ALL gun purchases.

So when you came along and said background checks are already mandated, you sounded like one dense fuck who wasn't following.

And you still do.

The 40% number is from 1994....when they were just about to implement current background checks...you guys have been using that number for 21 years........and the background checks you wanted then....and that you used the 40% number to explain why we needed them back then....is now the same number you are using to push for more background checks after the original background checks didn's stop criminals or mass shooters from getting guns.....
I posted the gun homicide rate for before and after the Brady bill. There has been a dramatic, sustained decrease of gun homicides since that law was passed.

See, you are trying the stupid trick that if ALL crime isn't stopped, then a law should be repealed, and that is just retarded. If you can show it has NO effect, then I am with you. But in this case, it has had a dramatic effect.

So now it is time to introduce you to the expression, "The perfect is the enemy of the good."

It has been demonstrated time and time again that the background check requirement is incredibly effective.

As for "you guys" using the 40 percent figure, I never saw that figure before today. I merely quoted it from the OP article to inform someone what this topic was about. It is about the fact you can buy a gun legally without a background check, and that these police chiefs want to close that loophole.

We can argue all day long about what percent of guns are bought this way, but it cannot be argued that background checks are ineffective. They are very effective.

I defy anyone to show me any law which completely stopped every occurrence of a particular crime. You are making a dumb argument in the face of the facts.

Sorry….concealed carry started at the same time….and studies show it decreases violent crime…especially for the victim who uses a gun to stop the crime….

Background checks are ineffective ……criminals do not go through a background check to get their guns the people stopped for background checks are normal people caught in clerical errors…..

Background checks don't stop any mass shooters and they don't stop criminals…so what use are they?

They want universal background checks to clear the way for gun registration…that is the only reason they want it.

Yes, and my statement was accurate.

I must perform a background check on every buyer I sell to from my store.
Which is not a gun show or private sale.

Read the OP. Then come back and try again.

Dude get over yourself already, the OP is not only talking about gun shows and private sales it pertains to ALL gun purchases.

Damn you are one dense fuck!
When they talk about ALL gun purchases in the OP, they are saying they want background checks to apply to ALL gun purchases and that they currently don't. They don't apply to 40 percent of ALL gun purchases.

So when you came along and said background checks are already mandated, you sounded like one dense fuck who wasn't following.

And you still do.

The 40% number is from 1994....when they were just about to implement current background checks...you guys have been using that number for 21 years........and the background checks you wanted then....and that you used the 40% number to explain why we needed them back then....is now the same number you are using to push for more background checks after the original background checks didn's stop criminals or mass shooters from getting guns.....
I posted the gun homicide rate for before and after the Brady bill. There has been a dramatic, sustained decrease of gun homicides since that law was passed.

See, you are trying the stupid trick that if ALL crime isn't stopped, then a law should be repealed, and that is just retarded. If you can show it has NO effect, then I am with you. But in this case, it has had a dramatic effect.

So now it is time to introduce you to the expression, "The perfect is the enemy of the good."

It has been demonstrated time and time again that the background check requirement is incredibly effective.

As for "you guys" using the 40 percent figure, I never saw that figure before today. I merely quoted it from the OP article to inform someone what this topic was about. It is about the fact you can buy a gun legally without a background check, and that these police chiefs want to close that loophole.

We can argue all day long about what percent of guns are bought this way, but it cannot be argued that background checks are ineffective. They are very effective.

I defy anyone to show me any law which completely stopped every occurrence of a particular crime. You are making a dumb argument in the face of the facts.

There is no dramatic effect…that is a lie….

Checking the Logic of Background Checks

According to a 2004 report by the Justice Department's inspector general, the most common reason the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) chooses not to pursue these cases is that the buyer does not seem to pose a threat. "The special agents we spoke with generally commented that they do not consider the vast majority of NICS referral subjects a danger to the public," the report said, "because the prohibiting factors are often minor or based on incidents that occurred many years in the past."

The ATF's handling of NICS referrals reflects two facts commonly ignored by background-check enthusiasts. First, the criteria for stripping people of their Second Amendment rights are absurdly (and unfairly) broad, sweeping pot growers, hubcap thieves, and guys who got into a bar fight 20 years ago together with violent predators. Second, criminals generally do not buy their weapons in gun stores.

Even in surveys conducted before the Brady Act, only a fifth of state prisoners who had used guns to commit crimes said they bought them from licensed dealers. In a 2004 survey, the share was just one-tenth.

Furthermore, a criminal turned away by a licensed dealer can always steal a gun, buy one from someone who does not run background checks, or ask someone with a clean record to buy one for him. Obama is therefore doubly wrong to equate blocking sales through NICS with preventing "dangerous people" from "getting their hands on a gun."

Given these realities, it is not surprising that a 2000 study by criminologists Philip J. Cook and Jens Ludwig found no evidence that the Brady Act had an impact on homicide rates. But according to supporters of expanded background checks, the problem is that the Brady Act did not go far enough.

One difficulty with that argument: As Cook and Ludwig note, most people who use guns to commit crimes—including almost all mass shooters—could have passed a background check. But what about the rest? Would they be thwarted by a broader screening requirement?

Probably not. Forcing private sellers at gun shows to arrange background checks with the help of licensed dealers is relatively straightforward. But in that 2004 inmate survey, less than 2 percent of respondents said they had bought weapons at gun shows or flea markets.

Last edited:
Im5YrTR.png

Excellent find…thanks…….

The fascists don't see it as a Constitutional right - its a lot easier to fuck with people if they are disarmed.

Another NRA ad. OBAMA IS GOING TO TAKE AWAY YOUR GUNS!

I know he is. reason I am looking for black market contacts.

OBAMAZ CUMMIN FER YER GUNZ! BUY MOAR! :lol:

If Obama is coming for your guns, he better hurry. We've been hearing this for seven years now.

Don't worry. The guns and ammo lobby has another ad campaign already in the works: HILEREEZ CUMMIN FER YER GUNZ! BUY MOAR!

You rubes really piss me off. You've been hoarding and driving up the cost of guns and ammo for seven fucking years.

Assholes.

Mr Scumbag, Sir:

ALL THE LAWS THAT ADOLF NEEDED TO TYRANNIZE GERMANS WERE ADOPTED PRIOR TO HIS ELECTION BY THE BISMARCK AND WEIMAR ADMINISTRATIONS.

STUDY , LEARN AND DON'T REPEAT THE MISTAKES.

You and the NRA will lose. It will take a lot of money and time, but you will lose. Your irrational arguments and NRA "one liners" will eventually get old and the voters will turn against you. Just a matter of time....
Gun control has been a losing issue for 20 years. After Sandy Hook the gun grabbers failed to pass a single piece of gun control legislation in Congress. Not one. This despite massive efforts. You are on the wrong side of history, pal.

Gun ownership is a Constitutional Right....like voting. Why should either require an I.D.?

The fascists don't see it as a Constitutional right - its a lot easier to fuck with people if they are disarmed.

If Obama is coming for your guns, he better hurry. We've been hearing this for seven years now.

Don't worry. The guns and ammo lobby has another ad campaign already in the works: HILEREEZ CUMMIN FER YER GUNZ! BUY MOAR!

You rubes really piss me off. You've been hoarding and driving up the cost of guns and ammo for seven fucking years.

Assholes.

Mr Scumbag, Sir:

ALL THE LAWS THAT ADOLF NEEDED TO TYRANNIZE GERMANS WERE ADOPTED PRIOR TO HIS ELECTION BY THE BISMARCK AND WEIMAR ADMINISTRATIONS.

Hey, dipshit. What's with the obsession with the Godwin fallacy?

A lot of countries have enacted strict gun control, and they haven't gone nazi, dumbass.

Study, learn. Stop parroting the same stupid fallacies.

A background check is not confusing or expensive. It's the simplest thing in the world.
And entirely meaningless.
Very effective. Prevents about 80,000 fugitives and felons and the like from buying a gun every year.

You'd know that if you read the topic.

To save time, see post 207.
Your claim has been refuted. The BGC prevents nothing. Not a single crime has been prevented by BGCs.
80,000 felons and fugitives and other undesirables are prevented from buying a gun every year. Only a retard would believe that means background checks are ineffective.

Seriously. You have to literally be mentally retarded.

And none of you have shown they all were able to buy guns after being denied.

Not one of you.
You havent shown any felons were prevented from buying guns. Not a single one. Logic is not your gig.
I have shown 80,000 a year are. I can't help it if you are too stupid to accept it.

Assholes.

Mr Scumbag, Sir:

Hey, dipshit. What's with the obsession with the Godwin fallacy?

A lot of countries have enacted strict gun control, and they haven't gone nazi, dumbass.

Study, learn. Stop parroting the same stupid fallacies.
BUt every country that did go totalitarian first instituted gun bans.

And entirely meaningless.
Very effective. Prevents about 80,000 fugitives and felons and the like from buying a gun every year.

You'd know that if you read the topic.

To save time, see post 207.
Your claim has been refuted. The BGC prevents nothing. Not a single crime has been prevented by BGCs.
80,000 felons and fugitives and other undesirables are prevented from buying a gun every year. Only a retard would believe that means background checks are ineffective.

Seriously. You have to literally be mentally retarded.

And none of you have shown they all were able to buy guns after being denied.

Not one of you.
You havent shown any felons were prevented from buying guns. Not a single one. Logic is not your gig.
I have shown 80,000 a year are. I can't help it if you are too stupid to accept it.
You've shown nothing of the kind. I've even shown where that isnt the case. For starters, your own cites speak of "initial applications." About 80% of those get overturned on appeal because they are based on failty information.
Merely repeating a point that has already been refuted only shows how brainless you are.

Furthermore, a criminal turned away by a licensed dealer can always steal a gun, buy one from someone who does not run background checks, or ask someone with a clean record to buy one for him.

None of you rubes has shown all 80,000 did or do.

Given these realities, it is not surprising that a 2000 study by criminologists Philip J. Cook and Jens Ludwig found no evidence that the Brady Act had an impact on homicide rates.

A 15 year old study, eh?

The Brady Act was enacted in 1993.

opvlmb.png

You've shown nothing of the kind. I've even shown where that isnt the case. For starters, your own cites speak of "initial applications." About 80% of those get overturned on appeal because they are based on failty information.

Nope.

Furthermore, a criminal turned away by a licensed dealer can always steal a gun, buy one from someone who does not run background checks, or ask someone with a clean record to buy one for him.

None of you rubes has shown all 80,000 did or do.

Given these realities, it is not surprising that a 2000 study by criminologists Philip J. Cook and Jens Ludwig found no evidence that the Brady Act had an impact on homicide rates.

A 15 year old study, eh?

The Brady Act was enacted in 1993.

opvlmb.png
Florida paased shall issue carry laws in 1993. Other states followed suit through the 90s. This accounts for the reduction in crimes, not background checks.

4.77 percent of appeals were successful. And only 22 percent of denials were appealed. That means 8/10s of one percent of denials were successfully appealed.

Not 80 percent.

Idiot.

So where were we?

Oh, yeah.

About 80,000 felons, fugitives, and other undesirables are denied the purchase of a gun every year.

Fact.

Forum List

Back