U.S. intelligence chief: Iran nuclear weapon could start regional war

The more I see from Libertarians, the happier I am that I didn't vote for Bob Barr:noted Libertarian.

Bob Barr is more a traditional conservative than he is an actual Libertarian, and the Libertarian Party is becoming less and less about actual Libertarianism.

As it allegedly builds WMD's.

This article claims there is a lack of evidence, and the IAEA has reported that there is no evidence that Iran is breaking the Non-Proliferation Treaty. What happened the last time we as a nation believed the hype behind made up WMD's? We got dragged into a costly war, in both terms of lives (American and Iraqi) and money. Our military is stretched to thin for another preemptive war, and our economy can't handle the strain in it's fragile condition.

The "War on Terror" is a war that can't possibly be won. It's time we mind our own business.

The only conceivable explanation for their defiance of the international community, is that they are building nukes. No other explanation fits the facts. This isn't like the Iraq Imaginary Yellowcake fiasco. They're actually doing it.

And WMD's are not our only issue with Iran. We flatten some of their military-industrial complexes, and the flow of arms to Hizbollah and Hamas will stop the next day. If not, flatten some more.

Like they said in Lonesome Dove -- you ride with an outlaw, you die with an outlaw. They've been arming terrorists for 30 years. Time to pay the piper.

Kevin, the straw man is a nasty thing to be. I never said that Iraq was a threat to our security. Since I apparently have to spell it out for you, it's......(make sure no one is listening over your shoulder, look both ways.....is it clear?...ok)....Iran we're watching. Get it yet?

The only conceivable explanation for their defiance of the international community, is that they are building nukes. No other explanation fits the facts. This isn't like the Iraq Imaginary Yellowcake fiasco. They're actually doing it.

And WMD's are not our only issue with Iran. We flatten some of their military-industrial complexes, and the flow of arms to Hizbollah and Hamas will stop the next day. If not, flatten some more.

Like they said in Lonesome Dove -- you ride with an outlaw, you die with an outlaw. They've been arming terrorists for 30 years. Time to pay the piper.

What defiance? The IAEA has been allowed in to inspect, and a myriad of other agencies and commissions. As the original post said, there is a lack of evidence that they are building nuclear weapons. But guilty until proven innocent over and over right?

We don't have the right to attack Iran as they haven't done anything to us.

I was not talking about current policy but if issues are not resolved, questions answered then the US should switch to the policy stance it had during Cold War.

Kevin, the straw man is a nasty thing to be. I never said that Iraq was a threat to our security. Since I apparently have to spell it out for you, it's......(make sure no one is listening over your shoulder, look both ways.....is it clear?...ok)....Iran we're watching. Get it yet?

So you're saying that we're there to defend our security, but that our security was never threatened?

Kevin, I'm saying that our security is threatened, but Saddam wasn't the threat, he just occupied land that we wanted.

What is our security threatened by? Nuclear weapons that we have little to no evidence that Iran is building? You have no problem with us taking any land that we want? I personally think an American empire is a bad thing.

Iran has a very young population. Pre the Iraq war the youth was starting to make some ground in forcing more freedoms into place in the country. The Iraq war helped the hardliners take elections.

Iran is not the threat these people want to make it out to be.

If we deal appropriately with Iran we can make great strides in seeing them progess. A hard line and threats will make them more of a threat.

Kevin, I have to ask. What is it that you want? Do you want us to just sit back within our borders and do nothing? It's very easy for you to criticize every point I or someone else makes, but eventually you have to give your plan if you want to join the adults. I've given my opinion and have seconded the plan in place. If you disagree, give your plan, so I can understand exactly what it is you want, and I can either agree or debate you.

Kevin, I have to ask. What is it that you want? Do you want us to just sit back within our borders and do nothing? It's very easy for you to criticize every point I or someone else makes, but eventually you have to give your plan if you want to join the adults. I've given my opinion and have seconded the plan in place. If you disagree, give your plan, so I can understand exactly what it is you want, and I can either agree or debate you.

It's time for us to adopt a foreign policy of non-interventionism and end the war on terror. We also need to adopt a policy of neutrality. We don't need nation building, and we don't need to police the world. We can't afford to do these things at any rate. No more foreign aid either, economic or military. And at no point should preemptive war be a part of our policy, because it means that we could attack anybody at anytime and that is simply wrong.

Do I get to play with the adults now?

Kevin, no, you don't get to play with the adults. The United States of America is a lightning rod. You don't have the luxury of just sitting back and chilling out and trusting people to not attack you. I disagree with your assumption that if we just stop getting involved in issues globally, we would be left alone. And by the way, by speaking with you, I'm admitting that I am also juvenile.:)

This is all base on what Iran says basically you signed the nuclear non proliferation act. You state you are using nuclear power for electriciy production you should allow inspectors to come in verify that you are indeed adhering to the Non-Proliferation act. If you so choose not to adhere to this proposal you will be primary target in reponse to any further proliferation of nuclear materials to any organization or government . If you choose to use such weapons an immediate and massive response will ensue.

Kevin, no, you don't get to play with the adults. The United States of America is a lightning rod. You don't have the luxury of just sitting back and chilling out and trusting people to not attack you. I disagree with your assumption that if we just stop getting involved in issues globally, we would be left alone. And by the way, by speaking with you, I'm admitting that I am also juvenile.:)

What makes you think I'm a juvenile?

This is all base on what Iran says basically you signed the nuclear non proliferation act. You state you are using nuclear power for electriciy production you should allow inspectors to come in verify that you are indeed adhering to the Non-Proliferation act. If you so choose not to adhere to this proposal you will be primary target in reponse to any further proliferation of nuclear materials to any organization or government . If you choose to use such weapons an immediate and massive response will ensue.

They have allowed people in to inspect what they're doing. The IAEA determined that they were not breaking the Non-Proliferation treaty.

I think you're juvenile because you're not basing the opinion you gave on any kind of fact at all. This country was once neutral, and we were attacked anyway. The world is full of nations who were attacked by other nations who had done them no wrong. That's why I no longer vote Libertarian, they are just naive as to how things work.

I think you're juvenile because you're not basing the opinion you gave on any kind of fact at all. This country was once neutral, and we were attacked anyway. The world is full of nations who were attacked by other nations who had done them no wrong. That's why I no longer vote Libertarian, they are just naive as to how things work.

You base your opinion on the right of America to go abroad and murder civilians and attack nations that have done nothing to us. In other words, you base your opinion on a right that America does not have, and a "right" that makes us hated around the world and inspires terrorists to attack us. Blowback is an ugly thing.

For the record, I'm not a juvenile. Being a Libertarian does not make one a naive child.

Kevin, A straw man argument? How do you expect to be taken seriously when you state that I advocate torture and murder, when anyone who has bothered to read this thread can easily see that I have advocated neither? Are you coming unravelled just because someone doubts you?

Iran knows that not having a strong deterrent will leave them vulnerable. Look at Iraq, Nicaragua, they get handled - look at North Korea, they get 'diplomacy'. Iran better get a nuke or the troops surrounding it just might uh... 'pre-emptively protect themselves' by attacking. Besides, the aren't strong enough to completely ignore International law yet.

Kevin, A straw man argument? How do you expect to be taken seriously when you state that I advocate torture and murder, when anyone who has bothered to read this thread can easily see that I have advocated neither? Are you coming unravelled just because someone doubts you?

You clearly support the interventionist policies we're currently adhering too which is nothing more than America going abroad and attacking governments it doesn't like whether it is justified or not, and civilians are always murdered in war.

So my "strawman argument" is based on your posts in this thread.

Forum List

Back