U.S. Health Panel to Men: No More PSA Tests For You!

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by boedicca, Oct 9, 2011.

1. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,852
    Here we go! ObamaCare will control costs by denying PSA tests to Healthy Men. Of course, once they develop prostate cancer and are no longer healthy, it will be too late to save them.

Healthy men should no longer receive a P.S.A. blood test to screen for prostate cancer because the test does not save lives over all and often leads to more tests and treatments that needlessly cause pain, impotence and incontinence in many, a key government health panel has decided.

The draft recommendation, by the United States Preventive Services Task Force and due for official release next week, is based on the results of five well-controlled clinical trials and could substantially change the care given to men 50 and older. There are 44 million such men in the United States, and 33 million of them have already had a P.S.A. test — sometimes without their knowledge — during routine physicals.

The task force’s recommendations are followed by most medical groups. Two years ago the task force recommended that women in their 40s should no longer get routine mammograms, setting off a firestorm of controversy. The recommendation to avoid the P.S.A. test is even more forceful and applies to healthy men of all ages.

“Unfortunately, the evidence now shows that this test does not save men’s lives,” said Dr. Virginia Moyer, a professor of pediatrics at Baylor College of Medicine and chairwoman of the task force. “This test cannot tell the difference between cancers that will and will not affect a man during his natural lifetime. We need to find one that does.”...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/07/health/07prostate.html?_r=2&ref=health

My dad caught the early stages of prostate cancer via a PSA test ten years ago. Thank goodness the test was available. How many dads will needlessly die if this policy becomes official?

2. Mad Scientist

Mad Scientist Deplorable Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,683
    Sounds familiar. Oh yeah, here it is:

"Panel Recommends Mammograms at 50 Not 40":
    In Reversal, Panel Urges Mammograms at 50, Not 40 - NYTimes.com

3. boedicca

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,852
    And, a mammogram CAN catch a tumor and enable a woman to get treatment to save her life.

The choice should be the woman's, not a panel of DC bureaucrats. Same thing applies to men and PSA tests.

4. Kooshdakhaa

Kooshdakhaa Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +598
    Well, in my case, this would have saved 10 years of mammograms and the radiation exposure from those mammograms. I would have done just fine starting mammograms at 50.

And the women I know who have had breast cancer, all of them were diagnosed after finding a lump during self-examination, not because of their annual mammogram.

I know mammograms do find early cancers. Oh yeah, I did get called back for further pictures one time when the mammogram showed an abnormality. Turns out it was just something on the skin, nothing to do with breast cancer and not a problem. Skin calcification. That certainly did cause a lot of anxiety, though.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2011
  5. boedicca

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,852

Your little group is not a statistically significant sample.

I have two good friends whose lumps were discovered in their 30s via mammogram. Early detection kept them from having radical surgery later on.

I'm glad they had the choice to have a mammogram when they decided to have one.

6. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,884
    Granny says Uncle Ferd better quit messin' with dem fats girls or his thang gonna fall off...
    :eek:
    Is oral contraceptive pill fuelling prostate cancer?
    14 November 2011 - The Pill became publicly available in the 1960s and remains a popular choice of contraceptive

7. Care4all

Care4all Warrior Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,110
    FYI

I just looked up the cost of a PSA test from a Lab....anyone can have the PSA done, with or without insurance for $45.....it's not that expensive, just need a doc to prescribe the test.

8. Douger

Douger BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +915
    GBm

Attached Files:

9. JStone

JStone BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +258
    Heavy drinking is bad for the prostate, mick. You're done, Irish drunk motherfucker. :lol: :clap2:

10. Jos

Jos BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +733
    I have no doubt your prostate gets a good workout from your Gay lover