U.S. expects rise in troop casualties

well, there was this in my email box this am... planes, like those that service and fly them, don't last forever...

The Air Force has a bit of a problem these days. They really are seeking relevance on today's battlefield and by that I mean the vision of air power being the ultimate force has just not proven out. Our air arm can certainly set any country back into the stone age; unfortunately, that is not PC anymore, so once the major forces (read organized national forces) are defeated, the Air Force becomes airial recon or bus drivers for ground forces. The C-17 was supposed to be the next big procurement but that became overshadowed by the fighter community. Because of the current philosophical view regarding how wars will be fought, the fighter procurement is being cut. Iraq and the tactical situation there is having great impact on the acquisition communities of all the serevices.

You have every right to be proud of your Dad....and your own service too.

I am not a double dipper, but managed to hook up with the military-industrial cabal after 30 years goofing off in the Army...took me that long to figure out I didn't fit in there.

I am proud... thanks... :thup: and both of my grand daddies served too... my maternal grand dad was wounded in action during the Anzio invasion and the other was lucky enough to remain injury free...

purple hearts skipped generations in our family... I picked up a small piece of shrapnel during a mortar attack in Viet Nam... there are no front lines in an occupied country... it's all dangerous... and you can get killed anywhere... much like Iraq is today... tho I think Iraq is worse... way worse...

I am proud... thanks... :thup: and both of my grand daddies served too... my maternal grand dad was wounded in action during the Anzio invasion and the other was lucky enough to remain injury free...

purple hearts skipped generations in our family... I picked up a small piece of shrapnel during a mortar attack in Viet Nam... there are no front lines in an occupied country... it's all dangerous... and you can get killed anywhere... much like Iraq is today... tho I think Iraq is worse... way worse...

Thanks for your service and sacrifice. Did two tours in lovely SE Asia myself and brought home Soviet/Chinese (didn't really check the manufacturer) steel too. My Dad was a WW II vet (Navy), my older brother is a VN vet (SEAL) and I have two sons who are Iraqii vets (both are still in the Army; one E-8 and one E-7...one Bronze Star with 'V' device and one Purple Heart between them) so I guess it's becoming a family tradition. Warmongering baby killers...that's us.

Thanks for your service and sacrifice as well. And thanks for the continuing service your family is giving our country.

Good things those medals... my purple heart and $7 will get me two gallons of premium gas anywhere in the USofA to this day...

I didn't have any kids of my own... but I did "help" a young mother with raising her three sons... two went into the army, one chose it as his career, went to OCS, became an officer and then died of a heart attack at age 33... sad... the other got out after his tour was up and became a painter... like me... the third joined the marines... he participated in GW1 and got out soon thereafter... he is ok but I still worry about his exposure to depleted uranium...

I hate depleted uranium munitions... absolutely hate them...

Thanks for your service and sacrifice as well. And thanks for the continuing service your family is giving our country.

Good things those medals... my purple heart and $7 will get me two gallons of premium gas anywhere in the USofA to this day...

I didn't have any kids of my own... but I did "help" a young mother with raising her three sons... two went into the army, one chose it as his career, went to OCS, became an officer and then died of a heart attack at age 33... sad... the other got out after his tour was up and became a painter... like me... the third joined the marines... he participated in GW1 and got out soon thereafter... he is ok but I still worry about his exposure to depleted uranium...

I hate depleted uranium munitions... absolutely hate them...

Wars and the implements of war are indeed nasty things. I am keeping a close watch on the boys (looking for signs of PTSD, and other complications). Don't denigrate your medals, they may not have much purchasing power but they sure symbolize a heck of a lot...and not just about you! Besides, you might have to throw them over a fence onto the White House lawn someday (sorry, I just couldn't help it!)

Wars and the implements of war are indeed nasty things. I am keeping a close watch on the boys (looking for signs of PTSD, and other complications). Don't denigrate your medals, they may not have much purchasing power but they sure symbolize a heck of a lot...and not just about you! Besides, you might have to throw them over a fence onto the White House lawn someday (sorry, I just couldn't help it!)

I still have them, laffs... in fact, my PH is right here beside me... and I tend to pat it when shredding chickenhawks... as I like them about as much as I like DU... i.e., not at all...

I hope your boys are ok and remain that way.

the more the insurgents attack, the more the war mongers want to stay... as long as they themselves aren't there...

Am I surprised by their obvious lack of patriotism? nope...

I gather from your posts you suppert the Dems surrender bill

The terrorists thank you for your support

Personally I dont care but just so you know:

The appropriate term is Sergeant Major, the "sarge" term is only acceptable at E-7 and below and only if the person being addressed doesn't mind. First Sergeants should ALWAYS be addressed as First Sergeant (not "top"; "first shirt" or other endearing terms) Master Sergeants (E-8) and all others are appropriately called "Sergeant"

Not being snotty, just providing some military protocol insight. I have seen some First Sergeants rip people's heads off for calling them sarge. I have never heard anyone call a CSM or SM "sarge"....I suspect they would never find the body if they did.

Sarge is a completely unaccaptable term in the Marines at ANY rank. It pretty-much means the person called "sarge" is a dirtbag and not worthy of being called the actual title of his rank.

I was told the same thing by an Army Sgt way back when (late 80s) when and AF Sgt called him "Sarge." He had a fit.

And no, calling a First Sergeant of Sergeant Major anything other than that is good way to not have your body found.

In the Marines, all enlisted ranks are addressed by the correct title. I know in the Air Force and Army "Sergeant" is an appropriate title for anyone E-5 through E-7. In the Marines, it's Sergeant, Staff Sergeant, and Gunnery Sergeant, Gunny being the only accepted nick. MSgt's and MGySgt's can be called Top IF they allow it. Some do, so don't.

Sarge is a completely unaccaptable term in the Marines at ANY rank. It pretty-much means the person called "sarge" is a dirtbag and not worthy of being called the actual title of his rank.

I was told the same thing by an Army Sgt way back when (late 80s) when and AF Sgt called him "Sarge." He had a fit.

And no, calling a First Sergeant of Sergeant Major anything other than that is good way to not have your body found.

In the Marines, all enlisted ranks are addressed by the correct title. I know in the Air Force and Army "Sergeant" is an appropriate title for anyone E-5 through E-7. In the Marines, it's Sergeant, Staff Sergeant, and Gunnery Sergeant, Gunny being the only accepted nick. MSgt's and MGySgt's can be called Top IF they allow it. Some do, so don't.

I know of no NCOs who allow themselves to be called "sarge" these days....except when yanking somebodies chain

I know of no NCOs who allow themselves to be called "sarge" these days....except when yanking somebodies chain

My paternal grandfather was a retired Army SgtMaj, and even back in the 60s when ever we went on post he was addressed as SgtMaj. Interestingly enough, he was a retired E-7. They didn't have E-8 - E-9 when he retired.

He made it Captain during the Normandy invasion and subsequent operations. When they did the inevitable reversion, they gave him choice of 2nd LT or E-7. He said forget that officer crap.:rofl: He was an engineeer out of Benning, whatever Army unit headquarters there.

My father on the other hand, was called "Sgt" until he made E-9, then he was called Chief (CMSgt).

the more the insurgents attack, the more the war mongers want to stay... as long as they themselves aren't there...

Am I surprised by their obvious lack of patriotism? nope...

Lets see if the liberal media talks to these vets.

I am willing to bet no chance in hell

Will ’60 Minutes’ Report ‘Appeal for Courage’ Pro-Iraq War Petition?
Posted by Noel Sheppard on May 13, 2007 - 03:20.
In February, CBS’ “60 Minutes” did a segment gushing over an anti-Iraq war petition called “Appeal For Redress” signed by about a thousand members of the military.

On Wednesday, members of the Veterans of Foreign Wars presented Congress a petition signed by 2,700 current and former service members expressing support of the nation’s actions in Iraq.

As this movement was in direct response to "Appeal For Redress," it is safe to assume that “60 Minutes” will be interviewing some of these brave souls in an upcoming program, right?

Regardless of the answer, Stars and Stripes reported Friday (h/t NB member rx4music):

The “Appeal for Courage” has been collecting signatures since February, with the goal of lobbying lawmakers to back off plans for withdrawal timetables or funding caveats.

Organizer Lt. Jason Nichols, a 33-year-old naval projects officer who has been in Baghdad since mid-January, said he has been pleased with the response.

Navy Times had more about this Tuesday:

The petition was organized by two U.S. service members serving in Iraq, Navy Lt. Jason Nichols, serving in Baghdad, and Minnesota National Guard Staff Sgt. David Thul, who is conducting convoy operations in Iraq with the 34th Infantry Division.

[…]

Rep. John Boehner, R-Ohio, the House Republican leader, and Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, will receive the petition, and use the event as another opportunity to criticize Democrats who control the House and Senate for trying to impose a withdrawal timetable on Iraq combat operations.

“No one knows the stakes in this war better than the men and women who face, and have faced, our enemies on the front lines,” Boehner said. “They understand that the security of current and future generations of Americans may be dictated by the actions Congress takes today, and I commend them both for their service and for going above and beyond the call of duty to ensure that their mission is given chance to succeed.”

[…]

About 60 percent of the 2,700 signatures on the Appeal For Courage petition come from service members who are serving or have served in Iraq, with about two-thirds enlisted members and one-third officers. The signatures were gathered over about a month.

The petition states: “As an American currently serving my nation in uniform, I respectfully urge my political leaders in Congress to fully support our mission in Iraq and halt any calls for retreat. I also respectfully urge my political leaders to actively oppose media efforts which embolden my enemy while demoralizing American support at home. The War in Iraq is a necessary and just effort to bring freedom to the Middle East and protect America from further attack.”

Those interested can view the entire petition at the Appeal For Courage website.

Finally, from what I can tell, apart from military publications, the only major media outlet to cover this event Wednesday other than National Review Online, Human Events, Town Hall, and Power Line was Investor’s Business Daily.

I wonder why.

Of course, none of that will matter when “60 Minutes” interviews members of this outstanding group in an upcoming installment.

I can’t wait.

http://newsbusters.org/node/12718

Lets see if the liberal media talks to these vets.

I am willing to bet no chance in hell

Will ’60 Minutes’ Report ‘Appeal for Courage’ Pro-Iraq War Petition?
Posted by Noel Sheppard on May 13, 2007 - 03:20.
In February, CBS’ “60 Minutes” did a segment gushing over an anti-Iraq war petition called “Appeal For Redress” signed by about a thousand members of the military.

On Wednesday, members of the Veterans of Foreign Wars presented Congress a petition signed by 2,700 current and former service members expressing support of the nation’s actions in Iraq.

As this movement was in direct response to "Appeal For Redress," it is safe to assume that “60 Minutes” will be interviewing some of these brave souls in an upcoming program, right?

Regardless of the answer, Stars and Stripes reported Friday (h/t NB member rx4music):

The “Appeal for Courage” has been collecting signatures since February, with the goal of lobbying lawmakers to back off plans for withdrawal timetables or funding caveats.

Organizer Lt. Jason Nichols, a 33-year-old naval projects officer who has been in Baghdad since mid-January, said he has been pleased with the response.

Navy Times had more about this Tuesday:

The petition was organized by two U.S. service members serving in Iraq, Navy Lt. Jason Nichols, serving in Baghdad, and Minnesota National Guard Staff Sgt. David Thul, who is conducting convoy operations in Iraq with the 34th Infantry Division.

[…]

Rep. John Boehner, R-Ohio, the House Republican leader, and Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., a member of the Senate Armed Services Committee, will receive the petition, and use the event as another opportunity to criticize Democrats who control the House and Senate for trying to impose a withdrawal timetable on Iraq combat operations.

“No one knows the stakes in this war better than the men and women who face, and have faced, our enemies on the front lines,” Boehner said. “They understand that the security of current and future generations of Americans may be dictated by the actions Congress takes today, and I commend them both for their service and for going above and beyond the call of duty to ensure that their mission is given chance to succeed.”

[…]

About 60 percent of the 2,700 signatures on the Appeal For Courage petition come from service members who are serving or have served in Iraq, with about two-thirds enlisted members and one-third officers. The signatures were gathered over about a month.

The petition states: “As an American currently serving my nation in uniform, I respectfully urge my political leaders in Congress to fully support our mission in Iraq and halt any calls for retreat. I also respectfully urge my political leaders to actively oppose media efforts which embolden my enemy while demoralizing American support at home. The War in Iraq is a necessary and just effort to bring freedom to the Middle East and protect America from further attack.”

Those interested can view the entire petition at the Appeal For Courage website.

Finally, from what I can tell, apart from military publications, the only major media outlet to cover this event Wednesday other than National Review Online, Human Events, Town Hall, and Power Line was Investor’s Business Daily.

I wonder why.

Of course, none of that will matter when “60 Minutes” interviews members of this outstanding group in an upcoming installment.

I can’t wait.

http://newsbusters.org/node/12718

Actually 2,700 signatures is not really that impressive rsr.

I'm not sure but I think Cindy Sheehan got more than that on her petition the first day she put it out there!

Actually 2,700 signatures is not really that impressive rsr.

I'm not sure but I think Cindy Sheehan got more than that on her petition the first day she put it out there!

I am sure she did. If she got the "reporters" who were following her around that would be more then the VFW's petition

Forum List

Back