U.S court says Schools trump parents wishes

Bonnie

Jun 30, 2004
Wherever
U.S. court allows survey of children on sex topics
02 Nov 2005 23:06:31 GMT

Source: Reuters

SAN FRANCISCO, Nov 2 (Reuters) - Parents have no constitutional right to prevent public schools from exposing children to sexual topics, a U.S. appeals court ruled on Wednesday.

The San Francisco-based 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed a lower court's decision that found the rights of parents were not violated by a California public school district that allowed a psychological survey of its elementary school children.

Among the survey questions asked of the children were 10 with sexual references, such as "Can't stop thinking about sex" and "Not trusting people because they might want sex."

A group of parents whose children were surveyed sued the Palmdale School District, alleging their right to privacy and civil rights had been violated because control of their children's upbringing had been "robbed."

A three-judge panel held the parents have a right to inform their children as they wish about sex but do not have the right to prevent a public school from providing students with information it deems appropriate.

"Schools cannot be expected to accommodate the personal, moral or religious concerns of every parent," Judge Stephen Reinhardt wrote for the panel. "Such an obligation would not only contravene the educational mission of the public schools, but also would be impossible to satisfy."

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N02243520.htm

That one should make it up to SCOTUS and get overturned. How ridiculous. The public school system is subject to the popluace it serves, not master over it.

gop_jeff said:
That one should make it up to SCOTUS and get overturned. How ridiculous. The public school system is subject to the popluace it serves, not master over it.

It's the 9th circuit. I think they just flip a coin on decisions. This really bugged me until I saw who made the ruling.

"Schools cannot be expected to accommodate the personal, moral or religious concerns of every parent," Judge Stephen Reinhardt wrote for the panel. "Such an obligation would not only contravene the educational mission of the public schools, but also would be impossible to satisfy."

so does this mean i can say merry christmas now and wear scary costumes on halloween and celebrate columbus day.... i mean after all "Schools cannot be expected to accommodate the personal, moral or religious concerns of every parent,"

manu1959 said:

so does this mean i can say merry christmas now and wear scary costumes on halloween and celebrate columbus day.... i mean after all "Schools cannot be expected to accommodate the personal, moral or religious concerns of every parent,"

Unfortunately it only works one way...their way..........

Forum List

Back