Typical UK. lol.

Mindful

Diamond Member
Sep 5, 2014
Here, there, and everywhere.
Going down the rabbit hole.

This tale of a London to Edinburgh train journey gone epically wrong is today’s most jaw-dropping read.​

We’ve had a few nightmare railway journeys in our time – as have you, obviously – but we’ve never had one quite so jaw-droppingly bad as this.

It’s a thread by stand-up, storyteller and much else besides James Nokisewhich went wildly viral on Tuesday after his trip from London to Edinburgh didn’t go quite so smoothly as he expected.

It was even more prescient given that the future of HS2 is even further up in the air after Rishi Sunak refused to comment on speculation that the project – billions spent, miles of track built, still no trains – will be scrapped.

It’s not just that it was an absolutely appalling journey – although obviously it was – but what it says about the state of the nation’s railways and their operators in 2023.

• Banned
^
Around 7:26pm I received an email that my train had been cancelled.This was a surprise because:a) I was still on a moving train b) there had been no announcement on the moving train.

:D

• Banned
So now it is midnight, and I am in a black cab in the middle of nowhere (well, the M6) with three strangers who are all asleep.One is snoring. I’m tweeting mainly to both stay awake, and also because I’m worried I went insane somewhere after Stafford and this is a delusion.

:laughing0301:

Going down the rabbit hole.

This tale of a London to Edinburgh train journey gone epically wrong is today’s most jaw-dropping read.​

We’ve had a few nightmare railway journeys in our time – as have you, obviously – but we’ve never had one quite so jaw-droppingly bad as this.

It’s a thread by stand-up, storyteller and much else besides James Nokisewhich went wildly viral on Tuesday after his trip from London to Edinburgh didn’t go quite so smoothly as he expected.

It was even more prescient given that the future of HS2 is even further up in the air after Rishi Sunak refused to comment on speculation that the project – billions spent, miles of track built, still no trains – will be scrapped.

It’s not just that it was an absolutely appalling journey – although obviously it was – but what it says about the state of the nation’s railways and their operators in 2023.

Ahhhh, government. Don't you just love it!

Except, the British rail system is privatised!

Sort of. Network Rail is a subsidiary of the Transportation Department. It has no shareholders. It gets its funding from the Dept. of Transportation and of course it's fares.

Pretty much every major company in the UK has a significant amount of either government outright control, or interference.

That's just bizarre. Brits had the train thing figured out by the 1840's, and built their system entirely privately, without 'imminent domain' seizures crooks in the U.S. still use to this day to get out of paying markets prices for land and right of ways. Nobody was in charge and zero customer service concerns..

• Banned
Sort of. Network Rail is a subsidiary of the Transportation Department. It has no shareholders. It gets its funding from the Dept. of Transportation and of course it's fares.

Pretty much every major company in the UK has a significant amount of either government outright control, or interference.

Not one dept knows what the other is doing.

That's just bizarre. Brits had the train thing figured out by the 1840's, and built their system entirely privately, without 'imminent domain' seizures crooks in the U.S. still use to this day to get out of paying markets prices for land and right of ways. Nobody was in charge and zero customer service concerns..

I’ve had similar experiences. I remember sitting in Reading station, during a dark and windy evening, waiting for a train to Bournemouth, which was delayed by three hours, due to leaves on the tracks somewhere near Rugby.

When it did eventually arrive, we were thrown off at Southampton, l found out later the drivers had finished their shift before arrival.
So there we were, gathered on the platform, docile and bemused, in crowd management the British do so well, rather like animal husbandry.

On the train they eventually found to transport us to our final destination, the guy on the loudspeaker would not stop apologising. :08621:

Except, the British rail system is privatised!
Network rail is state owned and you think it's privatised? Fucking hell. The infrastructure is state owned, the train services are out on contract to private companies.

Get your knowledge right. Why are they striking to get more wages off government?

Forum List

Back