Two things I learned about the Crusades . . .

People can get too hung up on the score-keeping historically. Human beings are inherently violent, aggressive, conniving, opportunistic, devious, and clever animals; regardless of region, nation, race, ethnicity, or religion. It's just how we are. Now, some bunches get better at it in some places for some time and then others do, but the basic impulse is in all of us.

Christianity spread like a lamb?

Now, I am a Christian, and yet I am here to tell you that once the Christians acquired the swords, it di NOT spread like a lamb, no, no, no, no.

I don't know why you aren't happy with the Seige of Marra as an instance of cannibalism? it counts. The Christians were hungry and the Saracens were meat.
No, Islam spread like a lamb, only if a lamb is the same as the tip of a sword that an Arabian terrorist would wield.

Nobody knows the real numbers of the Crusades.
Anyway. The point is, the crusades were undertaken to take back Christian lands that had been conquered by Muslims.

Last edited:
<snip> This behavior continued for 8 additional crusades until the 9th in 1272.

Actually this behavior continued much further than that. The Jews have been hated for centuries. And still are by many.

But that was not the point of this thread. The point was one, to refute the claim of Crusader cannibalism in Jerusalem during the first crusade, which the proponent of such has acquiesced.

The other was to point out how deep the hatred of Christians and the west is by Islam.

Now, why did this thread get moved to US History? It has nothing to do with US history at all . . . .

History is largely about Humans Behaving Badly; most of the 'good stuff' is mainly sidelines and hobbies of a few and secondary to wars and politics. Few are exempt and 'special'; there are few instance of oppressed minorities who overthrew their oppressors and proceeded to behave better than their oppressors did, in many cases they behaved worse, so a lot of the moralizing is pretty much nonsense, and usually can only be 'justified' by cherry picking and making heavy use of confirmation biases.

<snip> This behavior continued for 8 additional crusades until the 9th in 1272.

Actually this behavior continued much further than that. The Jews have been hated for centuries. And still are by many.

But that was not the point of this thread. The point was one, to refute the claim of Crusader cannibalism in Jerusalem during the first crusade, which the proponent of such has acquiesced.

The other was to point out how deep the hatred of Christians and the west is by Islam.

Now, why did this thread get moved to US History? It has nothing to do with US history at all . . . .

I don't think this forum is intended to be strictly about US History, it just says 'History' as the sub-forum title; it just seems that way because of all the American posters, I guess.

Gratuitous subscription post for a very interesting thread.

Yes, but I believe the move has killed it.

I don't think this forum is intended to be strictly about US History, it just says 'History' as the sub-forum title; it just seems that way because of all the American posters, I guess.

Yes, but the thread sure has died since it got moved from it's intended location . . . .

Forum List

Back