Two quotes, who said them?

Anyone who thinks the first quote is the way that a civilized society lives is a fool. If I work to support other people, why should I work? Why can't I be one of the supported? Eventually, no one works because it is not fair. I work, I pay my bills, you work, you pay yours. See, that's fair.

You look at the quote too literally.

What do you do? What is your ability? That is what you offer to society.

You also have needs. That is what you receive from society.

You purchase what you need from others and other purchase from you what you offer. There is nothing explicitly stated in the quote that says "without purchase or reimbursement".

☭proletarian☭;1880939 said:
When Marx coined the first quote, it had been in use for some time.

So he didn't coin it, then, did he? :rolleyes:
the real origin is not known for sure.

See my other post

lol, nope, he just used it to his advantage, one might say he 'popularized it'.
It's hard to find something new along those lines.
Those guys in Russia fought those tsars a long time before they got rid of them.
Whatever we in the USA might think about Lenin and Marx and communism, it did give the people more freedom than under the tsars.
On an almost unrelated note, it looks to me like the people in the former soviet union may have as much or even more freedom than we do in the usa now, especially in the remote areas.
I would love to have been able to backpack through the remote areas of siberia. I wish I was younger and healthier, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Lenin's system was nothing like anything Marx ever described.

So you're okay if I stop working and you can pay my mortgage for me. Great.

Now, who is gonna pay the rest of my bills? Volunteers please.

You no work, you no get money, you no pay bank, you lose house. You no pay your bills, you get in trouble, you lose credit rating, you need new id :lol:

Anyone who thinks the first quote is the way that a civilized society lives is a fool. If I work to support other people, why should I work? Why can't I be one of the supported? Eventually, no one works because it is not fair. I work, I pay my bills, you work, you pay yours. See, that's fair.

Other than that, it is for each individual to decide for themselves whether they help their fellow man. I do, that is my choice. I resent other people telling me I have to.

If someone won't work when they can then they are nothing but a parasite and should be placed aside, their basic human needs met but that's it, nothing else. If someone can be a productive member of society then they should be and they can reap the benefits. Those who can't work - that's another issue.

But everyone who has the capacity to work should work and I don't mean sitting on their arses like rentiers, I mean work to benefit their society and themselves.

Who said

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"

Who said

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few"

Okay... I expected some flippant remark about my Spock answer, good thing I wasn't holding my breath.

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few," to the best of my knowledge, was never actually "said" by anyone. Well, except for Spock in Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan.

The sentiment behind the saying, however, can be found in the Gospel of John.

"And one of them, named Caiaphas, being the high priest that same year, said unto them, Ye know nothing at all, Nor consider that it is expedient for us, that one man should die for the people, and that the whole nation perish not." - John 11:49-50

Forum List

Back