Two Coast Guard Men are SEALS

Discussion in 'Military' started by William Joyce, Jun 21, 2011.

1. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    This happened in 2010. They are the first and only ones, I believe. They did the same training, made it through. That is pretty cool. It's like the "softest" branch of the military and the toughest assignment together. So these guys can be sitting in a bar next to some Marines. Marines say, "so what are you?" And they say, "we're in the Coast Guard." And maybe they snicker a little, but they shouldn't!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Warrior102

Warrior102 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,029
    Cool

3. Zona

Zona A guy in ariZONA

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +942
    Good for them. Kewl.

4. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,738
    What makes people assume the Coast Guard is the softest branch? Ignorance? Maybe you never served in any Military branch and have no frame of reference? Not to diminish the great Navy Fleet Sailors who keep the gigantic ships running with all kinds of technical skills, Coast Guard people are the real Sailors who navigate tiny boats in high seas to rescue people, arrest criminals and keep America's shores safe. It's not surprising that they could complete SEAL training if they wanted to.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. oldsalt

oldsalt Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Anyone who has fished out of Kodiak, knows your words to ring true. They are Heroes :clap2:

6. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Not trying to be disrespectful at all, but...

My dad was in the Coast Guard. He said it was his way of draft dodging during Vietnam. But he did boot camp, served, swabbed the deck, carried a weapon, arrested people for illegal fishing, stuff like that. He still whistles the Coast Guard tune.

Coast Guard not actually in the Department of Defense... it was part of the Department of Transportation (!) and now, Homeland Security.

I trust the Coast Guard is rough and ready. They guarded me every time I went to work across New York Harbor!

But honestly, if someone is trying to be a bad-ass, I figure they go for the Marines, Army's Delta Force or Special Forces, etc. If not, well, Air Force. Though I knew a guy who joined the Air Force so he could join their rescue team, reputed to be pretty incredible.

Personally, I didn't finish Boy Scouts. Just thought it was cool that two of them are SEALs. Highly unique military circumstance.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  7. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,738
    Nothing wrong with the Fleet Navy. They are on it but the Coast Guard is in it. It isn't surprising that they could make the grade in SEAL training. It's a shame about your opinion of your own father's Service.

8. The Gadfly

The Gadfly Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +611
    Interservice rivalry aside, the Coast Guard has some jobs that are as tough as any special operations duty, and can get you killed, whether you get shot at, or not. The Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer school has a typical attrition rate exceeding 50%, and it wouldn't surprise me if some of them were able to get through BUDS and become SEALs.; a lot of the mental and physical skills required are similar. The Coast Guard has about 300 Rescue Swimmers deployed world wide, and you'd be surprised at some of the things they do routinely. (It sure includes some things this former airborne infantry grunt would not particularly care to attempt.).

9. whitehall

whitehall Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,738
    You gotta wonder why Joyce would disrespect his own father's service.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  10. blastoff

blastoff Undocumented Reg. User

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,595
    Things might have changed but as recent as the late 90s if you were from another branch of service and completed all the training you had to resign from that service and join the Navy in order to be a SEALs team member.