Turning The Other Cheek

Road Runner

Take Back America In 2024 Vote Trump!
Jun 16, 2021
USA
That's what Jesus taught and that's what I tend to do,.. however,.. I don't think He meant for us to constantly be doormats and take crap from other people either. I mean, just look how angry He got when His temple was being used for a marketplace. It was justified anger. So,.. how do we know when our anger is justified or to simply walk away? Any ideas?

That's what Jesus taught and that's what I tend to do,.. however,.. I don't think He meant for us to constantly be doormats and take crap from other people either. I mean, just look how angry He got when His temple was being used for a marketplace. It was justified anger. So,.. how do we know when our anger is justified or to simply walk away? Any ideas?
I am more of an Eye for an Eye type of guy. You hurt my family or me, and i will do a "do you believe in Jesus" on your ass.

strap2.gif

Its called righteous anger.

It may be one of the most difficult imperatives in all of the Bible: “Be angry and do not sin” (Ephesians 4:26). This verse assures us there are times we ought to be angry, but with one all-important caveat: we must not sin in our anger. Any honest person will need to acknowledge the sheer difficulty in doing this. Anger comes easily; righteous anger does not.

In his book Uprooting Anger, Robert Jones offers help. He gives three distinguishing marks of righteous anger.

Actual Sin

The first mark of righteous anger is that it reacts against actual sin. It arises from an accurate perception of what is actually evil. The Shorter Catechism helpfully summarizes sin as any “want of conformity unto, or transgression of, the law of God.” This is what ought to arouse our anger.

This means that for anger to be righteous, it cannot arise in response to a violation of my preferences. It cannot arise because I have been inconvenienced or I feel that my rights and freedoms have been trampled upon. Righteous anger reacts against what is really sin.

More

That's what Jesus taught and that's what I tend to do,.. however,..
obvious equivocation - they stood their ground and were crucified, obviously you have no idea what the itinerant taught and what that meant if ever your advantage is what you use to gain your objective.

The first mark of righteous anger is that it reacts against actual sin. It arises from an accurate perception of what is actually evil.
There are many millions of people walking around feeling their "righteous anger" toward Donald Trump and they are fully convinced he is "evil". That in their mind justifies their anger. But that comes down to their perception, and it is quite possible that their perception has been shaped by the information they have been fed, not by any actual knowledge of Donald Trump.

The first mark of righteous anger is that it reacts against actual sin. It arises from an accurate perception of what is actually evil.
There are many millions of people walking around feeling their "righteous anger" toward Donald Trump and they are fully convinced he is "evil". That in their mind justifies their anger. But that comes down to their perception, and it is quite possible that their perception has been shaped by the information they have been fed, not by any actual knowledge of Donald Trump.
Lying and deceiving, and being untruthful is a sin. It breaks God's Law. So, if they are angry for that reason, it could be righteous anger....

Actual Sin

The first mark of righteous anger is that it reacts against actual sin.

So that's what I'm having a difficult time comprehending of knowing of how to be angry without sinning. Let me give you an example. Say somebody is being really obnoxious to me. Is it a sin to tell them to fuck off and leave me alone when they're the ones who are truly being the problem?

Turn the other cheek had a different purpose in Jesus' day. First rule, only the right (clean) hand could be used to slap another. A backhanded slap could not be used on an equal, or there would be legal repercussions, so that was reserved for those not of one's class. Turning the other cheek to someone 'superior' would put the slapper into a dilemma. An open palm slap would equate to admitting the other was an equal.

It appears Jesus' "Turn the other cheek" was not about anger, but rather not being forced into acknowledging a subservient or less dignified position.

Lying and deceiving, and being untruthful is a sin. It breaks God's Law. So, if they are angry for that reason, it could be righteous anger....
You just described every politician of last 60 years except for maybe Jimmy Carter. It's all a matter of degree, and what the motives are for the lie. "Oh no honey, your butt doesn't look fat in that dress!!"

So that's what I'm having a difficult time comprehending of knowing of how to be angry without sinning. Let me give you an example. Say somebody is being really obnoxious to me. Is it a sin to tell them to fuck off and leave me alone when they're the ones who are truly being the problem?

I do not see this as a 'turn the other cheek' situation, but rather one for the lion and the lamb. In the above situation, the lion is (justly) roaring, calling for you to take action. Now is the time to call upon the lamb to produce the appropriate reaction. When both lion and lamb are in agreement (lion stops roaring and lies down with the lamb) you know you have your course of action. Take it. :)

Turning the other cheek is a great idea if not taken to extremes. Unfortunately we turned the other cheek so much for so long, we let our enemies come in and take our country right out from under our feet and now they are trying to repackage us as a threat to our own way of life in our own country!

Turning the other cheek if a snake bites you will only get you bitten again. Far better to cut the head of the snake off before it kills you.

Actual Sin

Yes.

That's the perfect example of when you should turn your cheek.

It will be like burning coals on their head, is what the Bible teaches.... In other words, if you keep your patience, listen to them, tell your side but respectfully disagree, stand your ground but continue to be nice and not tell them to F-off.... Eventually God believes, you can change them from being jerks, to being just as respectful as you have been over and over and over again. It will make them feel guilty, (the burning coals) for the way they've continued to treat you....

Its a long haul game...but it does work...I've witnessed it myself.

Tu ning the other cheek just gets you hit again.

Actual Sin

Just turn around and walk away.

The Niece of Martin Luther King Jr once said at the rally of 08-08-08, If you let someone insult you, then you gave that person power over you. If you dont let them insult you , they have no power. Walk away. Then if they touch you, give them the "Do you believe in Jesus" talk...

1626215670226.png

Turn the other cheek had a different purpose in Jesus' day. First rule, only the right (clean) hand could be used to slap another. A backhanded slap could not be used on an equal, or there would be legal repercussions, so that was reserved for those not of one's class. Turning the other cheek to someone 'superior' would put the slapper into a dilemma. An open palm slap would equate to admitting the other was an equal.

It appears Jesus' "Turn the other cheek" was not about anger, but rather not being forced into acknowledging a subservient or less dignified position.
Thank you. I imagine not many people even know that.

The funny thing is, Joe Biden has been doing more of it [lying] for far longer. I'm still waiting for the 'righteous' anger toward him.

But that is NOT what Jesus is talking about, when turning the other cheek. He is specifically talking about anger.

Forum List

Back