Try the Wrong Word Challenge:

The same problem here... :doubt:

Well in your case, NAS, you can be forgiven for not getting it.

English isn't your mother tongue, is it?

In my case? I should understand why BAD is the right word in that case.

Honestly? I don't.

I'm guessing that it's because BAD is describing the state of the noun and NOT the state of the verb.

I guess I basically don't really understand the basic rules of English grammer. Wouldn't suprise me since they never seemed like something that was necessary for me to have to study.

I speak fairly well but that isn't because I actually understand the logic unpinning my language.

I learned to speak as I heard others speaking.

I'm one of those 10 O'clock scholars.

I honestly thought 'badly' was the right one. It's kinda pissing me off...

So I looked it up: Bad describes the noun: I felt bad. Badly describes the verb: They played badly. I get it, but the difference is so miniscule that the whole rule is a bit ridiculous to me... :) I'll try to remember it though.

When making a mistake like this, whether on homework or a quiz and paying attention to the corrections, one nearly always nails it on a test.

That's the reason I only 'grade' homework that is done, not for the number 'correct.' The students however get graded a second time, on corrections done in red so that they can find 'clusters' of corrections, that indicate to them the areas they need to improve upon. They have to write at the top of their homework what areas, if any need more work.

If you want to be pardoned for your crimes, I suggest you ask your governor.

My Governer is Jim Doyle. Nobody wants to ask him anything, except to resign. He's an incompetent dick. And, given the nature of dicks, over all... I'd think it would be pretty hard for one to be totally incompetent....

He could always join the crooks we have over here....

We have no crooks in jersey. Long live Corzine!!!!

2202_puking.gif

Great quote from Mark Twain..... Using the right word is the difference between the lightening and the lightening bug.

I got em all. But I had to think about a couple.

Do you know all your words? Here is a short quiz that covers just a few of the common everyday word problems we sometimes encounter. Take this challenge and see how well you do. The answers immediately follow.

1. The (principal, principle) objective of this course is better writing.
2. The moderator in a labor dispute should be (disinterested, uninterested).
3. These (continuous, continual) interruptions may prevent the system from being available.
4. We found (fewer, less) coding errors this week than last week.
5. We feel (bad, badly) about their absence at today’s recognition event.
6. Our (bimonthly, semimonthly) reports are due the 15th and 30th of each month.
7. Two thousand books (compose, comprise) the college's new computer library.
8. Their letter (inferred, implied) that there was no charge for the extra hardware.
9. Many sightings continue to fuel the UFO (phenomena, phenomenon).
10. The competition intentionally gave them (disinformation, misinformation) about their products.

Hmmmm...missed the bad v badly one.

Still don't get it, to be honest.

The same problem here... :doubt:

this is a grammatical one rather than a choice of words one. Since the Badly refers to how you feel, badly is an adverb, bad an adjective. Adverbs modify most everything, adjectives only refer to nouns.

It looks like the person who make up the test got it wrong. NB is right. Badly refers to a verb, in this case, feel

there is no way I feel bad is correct. It is a common mistake, but it is still a mistake.

It looks like the person who make up the test got it wrong. NB is right. Badly refers to a verb, in this case, feel

there is no way I feel bad is correct. It is a common mistake, but it is still a mistake.

Wrong. Badly is not describing feel, it is describing the subject, a noun. Feel is one of the "sense" verbs, like smell or taste. These verbs are often followed by adjectives that describe the subject. "That smells delicious," not "That smells deliciously." Same rule applies in this case.

That was my thinking, too.

So it depends in the intent of the speaker.

If he's describing himself as in I feel (when he really means "AM") bad, then it's bad.

If he's describing his state of being (as in feelings about himself) then I think badly is correct.

That was my thinking, too.

So it depends in the intent of the speaker.

If he's describing himself as in I feel (when he really means "AM") bad, then it's bad.

If he's describing his state of being (as in feelings about himself) then I think badly is correct.

Yeah, I think this is one of those grammar perplexities that kids should not be graded on in school - it's just too... miniscule of a difference and it's rather unimportant. I'm speaking of this specific sentence 'I feel bad/badly.'

My Governer is Jim Doyle. Nobody wants to ask him anything, except to resign. He's an incompetent dick. And, given the nature of dicks, over all... I'd think it would be pretty hard for one to be totally incompetent....

He could always join the crooks we have over here....

We have no crooks in jersey. Long live Corzine!!!!

2202_puking.gif

I don't plan to knock him off.... Just off his seat.... Doesn't the fertilizer have a pleasant odor? Could always dump some more on top of Hoffa's body.... :)

Duplicitous words are a (requirement/requisite) in this test?

Good one.

I'm guessing "requisite".

My thinking is that one cannot REQUIRE anything from an inanimate object.

But an inanimate object can have requisite aspects to suit its purpose.

Forum List

Back