Trump's tarriffs

Siete

Platinum Member
May 19, 2014
Mexico pays for the wall ?

Nope, American consumers do.

To get a sense of the magnitude of the impact, we assume that the U.S. maintains its current import levels and businesses pass the entire cost of the tariffs on to consumers. This provides an upper bound estimate of the impact, as shifts to domestic sources would generally mitigate the impact. Under these assumptions, Trump’s plan could cost American consumers $250 billion per year.

A protectionist trade agenda would have dramatic impacts on American consumers. American importers would see their costs increase, which would most likely translate into price increases and reduced access to foreign goods. Additionally, protectionist policies also disrupt the benefit of imports in today’s global supply chain; a 2014 study from the National Retail Federation found that 25 percent of the value of imported products in 2009 were American made. These massive tariff increases would radically change U.S. trade policy and come with substantial costs.

add 24$ trillion to the national debt

cost american consumers $250 billion a year

you go Donnie !!

could be why you've been in bankruptcy court 4 times Sport.

yeah cool, we get a 10 billion dollar wall ... and it only cost 240 billion.

RW math.

RW math.
LOL God forbid unnecessary bullshit goes up a few bucks to get our economy back on track. Right?
Short sighted IMO

RW math.
LOL God forbid unnecessary bullshit goes up a few bucks to get our economy back on track. Right?
Short sighted IMO

How's the economy get back on track if you're paying more today for what cost less yesterday. Our economy is consumer based and will be for the next few generations. Taking less money out of the hands of consumers isn't going to get the economy back on track.

Now I suppose what you mean is that the tariff will jack the prices up so much for clocks and toasters and picture frames that we currently import is that we'll open up plants here making clocks, and toasters, and picture frames. Is that correct? Putting Americans to work and growing the economy by giving people jobs making "unnecessary bullshit".

Okay, I see your point. A lot of what was outsourced in the last 20 years were white collar jobs such as reading x-rays, help desk support, programming, accounting, I ran a print shop that had our proof-readers in the Caribbean for example....

Whatcha going to do about them? You going to tax phone calls and internet connections coming from Antigua?

RW math.
Short sighted IMO

How's the economy get back on track if you're paying more today for what cost less yesterday. Our economy is consumer based and will be for the next few generations. Taking less money out of the hands of consumers isn't going to get the economy back on track.

Now I suppose what you mean is that the tariff will jack the prices up so much for clocks and toasters and picture frames that we currently import is that we'll open up plants here making clocks, and toasters, and picture frames. Is that correct? Putting Americans to work and growing the economy by giving people jobs making "unnecessary bullshit".

Okay, I see your point. A lot of what was outsourced in the last 20 years were white collar jobs such as reading x-rays, help desk support, programming, accounting, I ran a print shop that had our proof-readers in the Caribbean for example....

Whatcha going to do about them? You going to tax phone calls and internet connections coming from Antigua?
Its consumer based? What are you going to do when you run out of consumers?

He's after China too ..

Presidential Candidate Donald Trump has been exceedingly critical of U.S. trade policy. He is particularly vocal about trade with China and Mexico, which together make up nearly one-third of all U.S. trade (31.3 percent). Trump claimed that, “If you look at China, and you look at Japan, and if you look at Mexico … they’re killing us.”

It is true that the U.S. is a net importer from these countries. To rectify this imbalance, Trump has called for increasing tariffs on foreign goods as a way to encourage American importers to purchase domestic goods. In a New York Times interview from January, the candidate suggested a 45 percent tax on all goods imported from China. Similarly, in his presidential announcement speech, Trump called for a 35 percent tariff on Mexican auto imports.

RW math.
Short sighted IMO

deport 15 million consumers back home, that solves it !

Few questions:
- Wouldn't the addition of tariffs/taxes violate the terms of our trade deal? If so, then it would take an act of congress to approve this, correct?

- Can this be implemented through executive order?

- At some point we are going to have to implement tariffs, fines, taxes or restrictions on trade given the enormous deficit we have with some countries, the imbalance in wages and production costs, and currency manipulation. These are real, not partisan issues, that are effecting jobs, trade, and our economy... The end result is going to be higher product prices for US consumers however, if it means more American made products, companies, exports etc. Isn't that the end goal? Do you see another path?

Few questions:
- Wouldn't the addition of tariffs/taxes violate the terms of our trade deal? If so, then it would take an act of congress to approve this, correct?

- At some point we are going to have to implement tariffs, fines, taxes or restrictions on trade given the enormous deficit we have with some countries, the imbalance in wages and production costs, and currency manipulation. These are real, not partisan issues, that are effecting jobs, trade, and our economy... The end result is going to be higher product prices for US consumers however, if it means more American made products, companies, exports etc. Isn't that the end goal? Do you see another path?

yes ... either ignore the trade deal or rewrite the terms.

What do you do when the only way 300M people eat is by donations from the rich or the government? Well, I guess that would be the rich too..
Complete plutocracy. Nice

Few questions:

I believe so. He is wanting some deals renegotiated.

RW math.
Short sighted IMO

So your answer is open borders? lol

RW math.
Short sighted IMO

my answer is exactly as it's always been ... ENFORCE THE LAWS ON THE BOOKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Short sighted IMO

my answer is exactly as it's always been ... ENFORCE THE LAWS ON THE BOOKS !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sometimes I wonder if that's enough.

if our politicians devoted as much time and energy to enforcing current laws as they did making new ones, increasing the size of the government, costing taxpayers billions of dollars, it would be more than enough.

Easier said than done... Of course we should enforce and improve the laws we have, but the question is about time, money and priorities... We just need to be smarter. So many want to invest an incredible amount of time and money into efforts that don't have the return. We have an incredible opportunity to utilize a workforce to build communities and industry, but we waste so much time fighting the flow of immigration and trying to deport. Focus on the criminals and let the majority, who are looking for a better life, contribute to our communities and economy to grow our country... Like I said, opportunity is sitting on our face getting a mustache ride...

if our politicians devoted as much time and energy to enforcing current laws as they did making new ones, increasing the size of the government, costing taxpayers billions of dollars, it would be more than enough.
Enforcing Laws = Time + Money + Resources
The result = less people in the US = Smaller economic potential

This is simple math... We just need to ditch the slide ruler and start using a calculator.

Forum List

Back