Trump warns impeachment will crash the market and make everyone 'very poor'—here's what experts say

'The U.S. stock market has generally been doing well under President Donald Trump, but the President warned TV audiences on Thursday morning that that would change were he to have to leave office. "If I ever got impeached, I think the market would crash. I think everybody would be very poor," he told Fox & Friends.

Experts are skeptical. "It's a ridiculous remark — the kind of thing a Latin American dictator or a Middle Eastern strongman would say to keep supporters in line," Josh Brown, CEO of Ritholtz Wealth Management, tells CNBC Make It.

Brown, a CNBC contributor, points out, "President Pence will be just as friendly to corporations and just as supportive of low taxes, as would any other Republican." So there's little reason to lose sleep over your investments.

In fact, political events have far less sway over the markets than economic factors, Joseph Davis, Vanguard's global chief economist, tells CNBC Make It. "The history of the stock market shows the more meaningful events for investors and for market influences over a six-month basis or annual basis are economic fundamentals, such as corporate earnings and changes in Fed policy," Davis says.

To be sure, change can cause market disruption because it increases the "ambiguity premium," Kent Smetters, Wharton professor of business economics and public policy, tells CNBC Make It. "But something like an impeachment probability gets priced in early since it is a long, drawn-out process. So whether markets like it or not, it won't likely lead to a sudden change," Smetters says.'

Trump warns impeachment will crash the market and make everyone 'very poor'—here's what experts say

What a completely and TOTALLY moronic thing for Trump to say. No one with a properly working brain with any experience in macroeconomics AT ALL knows this.
Everyone will go poor if this man-child gets the boot?
What a total buffoon this guy is.
He talks like a 10 year old.
I have no doubt that Trump believes the market would crash without him. He also believes he's the greatest president, greatest business man, the greatest salesman, and the greatest deal maker. It's just his delusions of grandeur which is now Trump policy.

We will actually get a DC parade when Crooked Donnie resigns

Maybe....but DAMN! Think of how fucked the nation would be now if the wicked witch had won!!!
Then again, she'd have destroyed the nation by now and you and yours would be in 3rd heaven.

The country would be much better off if HIllary had won
Unlike the current Idiot in Chief she understood the job and was respected around the world

'The U.S. stock market has generally been doing well under President Donald Trump, but the President warned TV audiences on Thursday morning that that would change were he to have to leave office. "If I ever got impeached, I think the market would crash. I think everybody would be very poor," he told Fox & Friends.

Experts are skeptical. "It's a ridiculous remark — the kind of thing a Latin American dictator or a Middle Eastern strongman would say to keep supporters in line," Josh Brown, CEO of Ritholtz Wealth Management, tells CNBC Make It.

Brown, a CNBC contributor, points out, "President Pence will be just as friendly to corporations and just as supportive of low taxes, as would any other Republican." So there's little reason to lose sleep over your investments.

In fact, political events have far less sway over the markets than economic factors, Joseph Davis, Vanguard's global chief economist, tells CNBC Make It. "The history of the stock market shows the more meaningful events for investors and for market influences over a six-month basis or annual basis are economic fundamentals, such as corporate earnings and changes in Fed policy," Davis says.

To be sure, change can cause market disruption because it increases the "ambiguity premium," Kent Smetters, Wharton professor of business economics and public policy, tells CNBC Make It. "But something like an impeachment probability gets priced in early since it is a long, drawn-out process. So whether markets like it or not, it won't likely lead to a sudden change," Smetters says.'

What a completely and TOTALLY moronic thing for Trump to say. No one with a properly working brain with any experience in macroeconomics AT ALL knows this.
I have no doubt that Trump believes the market would crash without him. He also believes he's the greatest president, greatest business man, the greatest salesman, and the greatest deal maker. It's just his delusions of grandeur which is now Trump policy.

Just what we needed, eh?
Another Obama.

We can't deny that the economic health of the country went straight up (significantly,) right after he took over in Jan. 2017 (after it had been sinking in 2016). There were things like lowering of the corporate tax, tariffs to equalize trade and overseas investors having to return to the US as tariffs make their overseas business less economical, , more emphasis on US manufactures, mucho deregulation.

united-states-gdp-growth.png

The country would be much better off if HIllary had won
Unlike the current Idiot in Chief she understood the job and was respected around the world
Is this a JOKE ? (or a quotation from an insane asylum ?)
Based on Trumps inept performance that will land him as one of our worst Presidents

It is obvious we would have been better off with Hillary’s stable leadership

We can't deny that the economic health of the country went straight up (significantly,) right after he took over in Jan. 2017 (after it had been sinking in 2016). There were things like lowering of the corporate tax, tariffs to equalize trade and overseas investors having to return to the US as tariffs make their overseas business less economical, , more emphasis on US manufactures, mucho deregulation.

The economy is on the same trajectory as it was under the Great Obama

Once again, Trump is born on third base and takes credit for hitting a triple

Just what we needed, eh?
Another Obama.
No, we just need someone who is not a pathological liar, sociopath, and criminal, with at least a vague understanding of how government works and the ability to put two sentences together spontaneously that make sense.

Just what we needed, eh?
Another Obama.
No, just someone who is not a pathological liar, sociopath, and criminal, with at least a vague understanding of how government works and the ability to put two sentences together that make sense.

Potato, potahto

The Great Obama had better GDPs

Unfortunately, your chart does not show them

There’ll no doubt be some sort of correction at first due to the markets’ aversion to uncertainty but it will recover.

There’ll no doubt be some sort of correction at first due to the markets’ aversion to uncertainty but it will recover.
I think the market would love Pence, and administrator and a bureaucrat that would do nothing to upset the apple cart. The one thing the market hates is uncertainty which is exactly what Trump delivers. Pence is much more likely to favor the religious right which is just fine with the market. The market doesn't give a shit about abortion or religious rights just so the administration keeps the feds out their pocket and their business.

Last edited:

Yes, it really is a "fuck you" to Pence.

Forum List

Back