Trump to propose merging Labor and Education Departments

Get rid of the DEA they are worthless..

Yep - between state and feds the war on drugs costs around 75 billion a year. Total cost to date is pushing 2 trillion.

Bet we could use that money to patch up crumbling schools, build new ones, hire more teachers and have enough left over to fix a few bridges & roads while bringing our airports and other infrastructure up to speed.

Hey Donnie Dotard, you just managed to awaken the collective conscience of America with your despicable and half-baked Zero Tolerance Program forcing you to cave.

What're ya gonna do now - Disneyland - No? :dunno:

The Trump administration plans to merge and rebrand several departments that conservatives have historically not been very fond of — or at least, they plan to talk about it. Several outlets report that after a months-long review of potential ways to shrink the federal government, on Thursday the Trump administration will propose merging the Education and Labor departments.

The Education Department handles federal student loans, the distribution of K-12 education funding, and enforced federal civil rights laws in public schools. The Labor Department, which is much larger, produces economic data, runs programs to train workers, and enforces minimum wage and occupational safety laws.

The New York Times reports that the plan also involves migrating many social safety-net programs into a “megadepartment” that would replace the Department of Health and Human Services. The department would possibly get a new name with “welfare” in the title, as part of an effort to further stigmatize programs like the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), housing aid, and Medicaid, making them easier to cut.​

Trump to Propose Merging Labor and Education Departments, Rebranding Welfare
In spirit, they merged it two years ago, if not more. I work in adult ed, which is entirely funded with federal monies. The requirements for workforce investment have been pushing academics further and further down the list. We are supposed to be career counselors, now, instead of teaching the Three R's which everyone needs to succeed in any job. It sucks out loud, but this doesn't surprise me one whit.

I wonder what are the plans for all this money he is saving , to pocket it of course.
I have no issue with streamlining government, but turning education into nothing but workforce training is ridiculous. Besides the fact that the government, as usual, is a decade behind the times and is still pushing everyone to college, which many are not equipped for, no matter how long you teach 'em. We all have strengths, but not all of us are strong with the books. Teach the basics and let them decide. Trump seems to think we can turn everyone into an electrical engineer or an astronaut. Just another way he shows us every day that he lives in a bubble.

I can see the writing on the wall that has been there for years, the rich and wealthy have helped to drive up the cost of a college degree to the point that it is out of reach to the vast majority of Americans. Corporations now require degrees for a job that needed no degree before..If you do get a degree you are looking at a large sum of debt to a rich corporation owned or ran by a wealthy well-paid executive. Then to add insult to injury they import college-educated foreign-born people to work in many jobs at a lower rate of pay...
The end result is suppression of a class by a class....And the USA wasn't supposed to have class warfare but they do...

I have no issue with streamlining government, but turning education into nothing but workforce training is ridiculous. Besides the fact that the government, as usual, is a decade behind the times and is still pushing everyone to college, which many are not equipped for, no matter how long you teach 'em. We all have strengths, but not all of us are strong with the books. Teach the basics and let them decide. Trump seems to think we can turn everyone into an electrical engineer or an astronaut. Just another way he shows us every day that he lives in a bubble.

I'd like to see more low cost trade school options for senior year in high school or 1-2 years after high school. Of course, the low wage jobs like flipping burgers at McDonalds would be tough to fill if someone learned plumbing, electrical or entry level nursing skills.

I'd like to see more low cost trade school options for senior year in high school or 1-2 years after high school. Of course, the low wage jobs like flipping burgers at McDonalds would be tough to fill if someone learned plumbing, electrical or entry level nursing skills.
The laws are being debated now to try and change the existing laws which prohibit anyone under eighteen from operating a machine with moving parts. Of course, they could teach them to use the old hand activated tools that we used in the dinosaur days but hey, that takes effort.

More of those options are being offered, even in our little tiny schools. It's awesome. My granddaughter, who lives in NY, just graduated HS with her CNA and has an internship and guaranteed job at the local hospital lined up. I just spoke with a local student here who had a semester of college under her belt for $50 per credit hour when she graduated high school.

But I also have students who are working in restaurant kitchens and I'd like to ask, where would we be without them?

More of those options are being offered, even in our little tiny schools. It's awesome. My granddaughter, who lives in NY, just graduated HS with her CNA and has an internship and guaranteed job at the local hospital lined up. I just spoke with a local student here who had a semester of college under her belt for $50 per credit hour when she graduated high school.

But I also have students who are working in restaurant kitchens and I'd like to ask, where would we be without them?

One of my favorite local charities is Life's Kitchen. They teach cooking skills to at risk teens - VERY successful program!

http://www.lifeskitchen.org

14068262_10208440676032179_8823777941887359249_n.jpg

Forum List

Back