Trump thinks he can change the Constitution via EO

Source: CNBC.COM original story on Axios
Trump wants to sign an order to end birthright citizenship, setting up a constitutional battle

"President Donald Trump is planning to terminate birthright citizenship, according to a report by Axios, potentially setting up another stand-off between the U.S. president and the courts.

Trump plans to sign an executive order that would remove the right to citizenship for babies of non-citizens and unauthorized immigrants born on U.S. soil, he said Monday, according to Axios which used the exclusive interview to promote a new documentary series called "Axios on HBO."

"This would be the most dramatic move yet in Trump's hardline immigration campaign, this time targeting 'anchor babies' and 'chain migration'," Axios said in its report.

Trump's comments come as he continues to push a hard anti-immigration line ahead of the midterms this month, and many experts will highlight that it's not within the president's power to change birthright citizenship.

"It was always told to me that you needed a constitutional amendment. Guess what? You don't," Trump reportedly said, declaring he can do it by using an executive order.

Trump said he had run the idea of ending birthright citizenship by his counsel and plans to proceed, despite likely controversy. However, during the same interview Trump expressed surprise that Axios knew about his secret plan: "I didn't think anybody knew that but me. I thought I was the only one," he said."

Let the fun, games and gnashing of teeth begin.

This should be an interesting court battle if President Twitter follows through with the Executive Order since the courts have never ruled on the question of whether or not the 14th Amendment applies to illegal immigrants or foreigners with temporary legal status.

Personally I don't think he's going to win this battle but I guess we'll see.

"May you live in interesting times" -- Chinese Curse

Ending birthright citizenship is the solution.

They come here illegally, have children here, and then live large collecting welfare in the names of their children, since the children are beneficiaries of birthright citizenship. We're broke!

Last edited:
Birthright citizenship is an illegal immigration magnet.
If both of the parents are breaking our immigration laws then their offspring should not be allowed birthright citizenship.
immigrationanchorbaby.jpg

Trump plans to sign executive order ending birthright citizenship: Axios

More red meat for the masses. Even he is not stupid enough to think this will work.

Sent from my iPhone using USMessageBoard.com

"Under current policy, anyone born in the U.S. – regardless of whether they are delivered by a non-citizen or undocumented immigrant – is considered a citizen. The interpretation has been blamed for so-called 'birth tourism' and chain migration.

The 14th Amendment states: "All persons born or naturalized in the United States and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside."

I hope he does! It should end. It would end all these mothers having babies in our country and then leaving to go back to their country. Then coming back as they complain, "My baby was born here in the US, so that makes me a citizen, too!"

We need to do something to stop the flow of these illegals coming here. They are taking advantage of our resources. We have enough hard time trying to take care of our own. Nevermind someone's child from another country. Especially, when the parents come here illegally.

It’s a calculated move to open the debate.

The 14th ammendment is for slaves.

The 14th amendment was never meant for illegal aliens.
We don't have to amend the constitution, we just have to interpret the law correctly.

Trump wants to sign an order to end birthright citizenship, setting up a constitutional battle

"President Donald Trump is planning to terminate birthright citizenship, according to a report by Axios, potentially setting up another stand-off between the U.S. president and the courts.

Trump plans to sign an executive order that would remove the right to citizenship for babies of non-citizens and unauthorized immigrants born on U.S. soil, he said Monday, according to Axios which used the exclusive interview to promote a new documentary series called "Axios on HBO."

"This would be the most dramatic move yet in Trump's hardline immigration campaign, this time targeting 'anchor babies' and 'chain migration'," Axios said in its report.

Trump's comments come as he continues to push a hard anti-immigration line ahead of the midterms this month, and many experts will highlight that it's not within the president's power to change birthright citizenship.

"It was always told to me that you needed a constitutional amendment. Guess what? You don't," Trump reportedly said, declaring he can do it by using an executive order.

Trump said he had run the idea of ending birthright citizenship by his counsel and plans to proceed, despite likely controversy. However, during the same interview Trump expressed surprise that Axios knew about his secret plan: "I didn't think anybody knew that but me. I thought I was the only one," he said."

This should be an interesting court battle if President Twitter follows through with the Executive Order since the courts have never ruled on the question of whether or not the 14th Amendment applies to illegal immigrants or foreigners with temporary legal status.

I've often wondered why we didn't do this. If people are here illegally, why should their children be legal? It is a whole 'nother matter if the parents are here legally but not yet citizens.
I think there will be a Constitutional question about it, but why wouldn't an Amendment like that pass? Everyone says they don't support illegal immigration. So why would they support these children becoming US citizens?

More red meat for the masses. Even he is not stupid enough to think this will work.

It will work to get more votes from people who have the right to vote.

I hate EOs. I think they are bullshit. I think the 14th Amendment is sloppy but clear. It needs to be amended.

BUT, Obama opened the EO door despite our yelling and screaming, so a little payback is in order.

Hopefully, the EO bullshit will stop forever after this.

i don't think we should allow it. that said, this can't be fixed by an "executive order". the president enforces law but the last several presidents have had to use the EO cause congress won't do its job.

I'm not a fan of Executive Orders, though. The problem with them is that they're too often abused and end up violating, at the very least, undermining constitutional separations of powers.

I've often wondered why we didn't do this. If people are here illegally, why should their children be legal? It is a whole 'nother matter if the parents are here legally but not yet citizens.
I think there will be a Constitutional question about it, but why wouldn't an Amendment like that pass? Everyone says they don't support illegal immigration. So why would they support these children becoming US citizens?

Votes

Ending birthright citizenship is the solution.

They come here illegally, have children here, and then live large collecting welfare in the names of their children, since the children are beneficiaries of birthright citizenship. We're broke!
I don't agree with your Welfare argument, but I agree it makes no sense to make them citizens. The real solution is not hiring illegal immigrants. That will never happen, so instead we will keep punishing the poor and the powerless, because it is so much easier.

i commented in the other thread and would 100% agree. congress needs to do it's job and/or take take this case before the supreme court and have them interpret the law as it currently reads.

presidents need to stop using EO's to "get their way" and get back into our government as it was designed.

I'm not a fan of Executive Orders, though. The problem with them is that they're too often abused and end up violating, at the very least, undermining constitutional separations of powers.
And as we've seen, they can be easily undone by the next President.

Forum List

Back