Trump Mugshot Copyright Infringement

okfine

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2019
Gold Coast
"Various legal experts have noted, Trump’s sale of that mug shot, taken by the Fulton County sheriff, may violate U.S. copyright laws. This could mean that theoretically, the millions he is making off that photo may rightfully belong to the Fulton County sheriff — an entity that just happens to be in desperate need of funds to address the horrific conditions in the Fulton County Jail," he wrote.
Bolstering his case he added, "Betsy Rosenblatt, a professor at Case Western Reserve University School of Law, recently explained to Spectrum News 1 Ohio that the copyright owner of Trump’s mug shot is likely the Fulton County Sheriff’s Office."

Now that is something to ponder. Does the Fulton Sheriff own the rights to Trump's mugshot? Some say so.
Now wouldn't that be something?

"Various legal experts have noted, Trump’s sale of that mug shot, taken by the Fulton County sheriff, may violate U.S. copyright laws. This could mean that theoretically, the millions he is making off that photo may rightfully belong to the Fulton County sheriff — an entity that just happens to be in desperate need of funds to address the horrific conditions in the Fulton County Jail," he wrote.
Bolstering his case he added, "Betsy Rosenblatt, a professor at Case Western Reserve University School of Law, recently explained to Spectrum News 1 Ohio that the copyright owner of Trump’s mug shot is likely the Fulton County Sheriff’s Office."

Now that is something to ponder. Does the Fulton Sheriff own the rights to Trump's mugshot? Some say so.

I believe there is a provision for bad ass mug shots. g5000 loves it! Don't you, g man?

Actually mugshots are not only in the public domain but part of the public record. The individual retains all rights to the image or likeness and would have to be paid for any commercial use.

If any legal experts think differently expose yourself.

That's fucking hilarious! You guys and your media couldn't wait to see Trump's mugshot and plaster it everywhere. I guess we need to sue the MSM and others for making money off Trump's mugshot copyright infringement.

Nice try moron. Did they file for a copyright? Secondly, have you ever heard of the FOIA? Public Domain? I wouldn't be surprised that Trump owns the copyright on that image already.

I'd have to ask, in connection with that absurd claim, whether the Fulton County Sheriff has obtained a signed model release from Mr. Trump in connection with that image.

Actually mugshots are not only in the public domain but part of the public record.
So if it is 'public domain'. and part of the 'public record'......do You and I have the right to use the image and sell it on t-shirts?

Asking for a friend.

Actually mugshots are not only in the public domain but part of the public record. The individual retains all rights to the image or likeness and would have to be paid for any commercial use.

Exactly. Mr. Trump, like any other individual, owns his own image and likeness, and except where he has signed a release granting these rights to anyone else, retains the exclusive right to use his image and likeness for commercial gain.

So if it is 'public domain'. and part of the 'public record'......do You and I have the right to use the image and sell it on t-shirts?

An individual retains the commercial rights to his own image and likeness, except where he signs a model release to assign those rights to someone else.

Only Mr. Trump has the right to commercially profit from the use of his image.

Try selling t-shirts with Marilyn Monroe's image on them. She's been dead for sixty-one years, yet her estate still controls the commercial rights to her image, and would come after you if it came to their attention that you were using her image commercially, without having licensed it from them.

An individual retains the commercial rights to his own image and likeness, except where he signs a model release to assign those rights to someone else.

Only Mr. Trump has the right to commercially profit from the use of his image.

Try selling t-shirts with Marilyn Monroe's image on them. She's been dead for sixty-one years, yet her estate still controls the commercial rights to her image, and would come after you if it came to their attention that you were using her image commercially, without having licensed it from them.
I was just asking a question.
Wanted to see the difference of opinion from the lawyers on this board.

3 Posts.......17,19,20.
2 say NO
1 says YES

Me personally, I think the answer is NO.

But again, I was just poking around to see what the masses have to say.
Is that OK?

Forum List

Back