Trump Just Contradicted Everything Republicans Have Said About The Economy For 8 Years

Lakhota

Diamond Member
Jul 14, 2011
Native America
In an interview with Time magazine for its Person Of The Year issue, President-elect Donald Trump said something... true?

“Well sometimes you have to prime the pump,” Trump told the Time editors. “So sometimes in order to get the jobs going and the country going, because look, we’re at 1% growth.”

“I was talking to the head of a major country, because most of them have called me and I’ve talked to all of them,” he went on. “[They said,] ‘Yes, we are doing not well, not well. Our GDP is only 4.5%.’ I said wow, if our GDP was 4.5% we’d be the happy ― I mean our GDP is probably less than 1% if you think about it. And going in the wrong direction.”

OK, well, that last part is wrong. The United States’ real GDP grew 3.2 percent in the third quarter of this year, which was better than the 1.4 percent growth the country experienced in the second quarter. But whatever. The point is that with his talk of “priming the pump,” Trump appears to be embracing the version of Keynesian economic theory that has dominated American policymaking since World War II.

The idea is pretty simple: When the economy gets into a rut, the government can get it out by spending money. Hiring workers to fix bridges and paint schoolhouses puts money in their pockets, which they can, in turn, go out and spend on other goods. Retailers can thus afford to employ workers to sell those goods, who in turn can spend their pay on other things, and off we go. The economy grows.

Republicans have made a show of rejecting this idea since President Barack Obamatook office in 2009. House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and others have insisted that government spending is economic poison, and that a responsible government can somehow cut its way to growth. This is what much of Europe has been trying to do since the financial crisis, with lousy economic (and political) results.

More: Donald Trump Just Contradicted Everything Republicans Have Said About The Economy For 8 Years

Republicans obstructed President Obama's attempts to increase government spending to help stimulate the sluggish economy - so will they now embrace Trump's proposed policies to increase the national debt with massive government spending for infrastructure projects? I suspect they will...

I repeat from the OP:

The idea is pretty simple: When the economy gets into a rut, the government can get it out by spending money. Hiring workers to fix bridges and paint schoolhouses puts money in their pockets, which they can, in turn, go out and spend on other goods. Retailers can thus afford to employ workers to sell those goods, who in turn can spend their pay on other things, and off we go. The economy grows.

Republicans obstructed President Obama's attempts to increase government spending to help stimulate the sluggish economy - so will they now embrace Trump's proposed policies to increase the national debt with massive government spending for infrastructure projects? I suspect they will...

They will. They didn't like Goldman Sachs guys, now they do. They didn't like the establishment, now they do. Rich guys running the govt, bad thing...until Trump said it was good. So follow the pattern. I thought Republicans had an ideology when it's what it's always been. They are looking for someone to tell them which way is up.

Republicans are so predictable. They held the economy hostage under President Obama.

Deficit-Attention-GOP.jpg

I repeat from the OP:

Just imagine a presidential administration proposing and then building a massive interstate highway system that connects the whole country via limited-access, high speed, multi-lane roads with park-like rest areas and retails stops with restaurants and gasoline? Something like that would NEVER happen today. The righties don't even think we should stop bridges from falling down. They don't care if the rail system that keeps the northeast part of the country running goes off the rails. If they can't see it from the back window of their trailer, then they don't care.

Last edited:
In an interview with Time magazine for its Person Of The Year issue, President-elect Donald Trump said something... true?

“Well sometimes you have to prime the pump,” Trump told the Time editors. “So sometimes in order to get the jobs going and the country going, because look, we’re at 1% growth.”

“I was talking to the head of a major country, because most of them have called me and I’ve talked to all of them,” he went on. “[They said,] ‘Yes, we are doing not well, not well. Our GDP is only 4.5%.’ I said wow, if our GDP was 4.5% we’d be the happy ― I mean our GDP is probably less than 1% if you think about it. And going in the wrong direction.”

OK, well, that last part is wrong. The United States’ real GDP grew 3.2 percent in the third quarter of this year, which was better than the 1.4 percent growth the country experienced in the second quarter. But whatever. The point is that with his talk of “priming the pump,” Trump appears to be embracing the version of Keynesian economic theory that has dominated American policymaking since World War II.

Republicans have made a show of rejecting this idea since President Barack Obamatook office in 2009. House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) and others have insisted that government spending is economic poison, and that a responsible government can somehow cut its way to growth. This is what much of Europe has been trying to do since the financial crisis, with lousy economic (and political) results.

More: Donald Trump Just Contradicted Everything Republicans Have Said About The Economy For 8 Years

Well heck Lakota, I bet you wish you had voted for Trump. It is good to see that you have seen the light, and now support Donald Trumps policies.

Well heck Lakota, I bet you wish you had voted for Trump. It is good to see that you have seen the light, and now support Donald Trumps policies.

Ha! Trump is sitting in a place where he doesn't have to do anything, just talk about it. And after he's inaugurated, he's still going to just be talking about it.
And pulling stunts like this to impress his idiot followers:

Trump Sealed Carrier Deal With Mix of Threat and Incentive - The New ...
www.nytimes.com/2016/12/01/business/economy/trump-carrier-pence-jobs.html
Trump Sealed Carrier Deal With Mix of Threat and Incentive. By NELSON D. SCHWARTZ DEC. 1, 2016. Continue reading the main story Share This Page.
Trump Saved Jobs at Carrier by Making a Bad Deal for America - Slate
www.slate.com/.../trump_saved_jobs_at_carrier_by_making_a_bad_deal_for_americ...
7 days ago - Trump Saved Jobs at Carrier by Making the Same DealAmerican Politicians ... The truth is that instead of busting up a system that encourages ...
The real message behind the Carrier deal isn't those 800 jobs ...
www.marketwatch.com › Industries › Machinery/Industrial Goods › Outside the Box
4 days ago - Embedded in this Indiana deal is a much stronger signal about the urgency of the Trump-Pence economic policies that the skeptics overlook, ...

Uh oh

Of course, the legislative branch of government authorizes spending.

Did y'all skip civics class?

Good question

No, I actually hate Trump and Republicans even more now! They are proving that they have lied and swiftboated President Obama for the past 8 years - while holding the economy hostage and fucking Americans based solely on partisan politics! The fact that President Obama was born in Hawaii and has a nice suntan didn't help.

No, I actually hate Trump and Republicans even more now! They are proving that they have lied and swiftboated President Obama for the past 8 years - while holding the economy hostage and fucking Americans based solely on partisan politics! The fact that President Obama was born in Hawaii and has a nice suntan didn't help.

Yet, you support Donald Trumps economic policies.

I promise not to tell anyone your secret.

Please quote where I said I support Trump's economic policies.

Uh oh

Of course, the legislative branch of government authorizes spending.

Did y'all skip civics class?

Good question

Trump never took a civics class nor does he understand how the three branches of government work. He thinks he's going to be anointed on January 20, not inaugurated.

So now you support the standard Republican economic policy? You can't have it both ways. At least devolve into you supported it before you were against it.

So now you support the standard Republican economic policy? You can't have it both ways. At least devolve into you supported it before you were against it.

I supported increased government spending to help the sluggish economy under President Obama - now I see more proof of Republican hypocrisy. Obama spending - BAD. Trump spending - GOOD.

I supported increased government spending to help the sluggish economy under President Obama - now I see more proof of Republican hypocrisy. Obama spending - BAD. Trump spending - GOOD.

Trump trying to repeat Obamas' Porkulus would be bad. In any case, getting such a spending beast through the House is unlikely. If Trump had a Democrat House, it would be possible.

Forum List

Back