Trump endorses first step act criminal justice reform measure

MindWars

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2016
President Donald Trump reportedly gave an enthusiastic thumbs-up to criminal justice reform legislation that would loosen some mandatory minimum sentencing laws — a measure backed by Senate Republicans and Democrats and opposed by conservatives.

Trump Endorses 'First Step Act' Criminal Justice Reform Measure

Just imagine the black community might not live a life out of prison after Trump's signing. After all Clintons put more blacks in prison than any other when the sob signed that drug war/mandatory min. sentence bs.

Last edited:
Exactly the wrong thing to do.

What is needed is that if your first offense is a misdemeanor, you go to jail for 6 months. I don’t care if you steal a candy bar, get caught with a joint, criminal trespass, criminal mischief, PI, whatever. Six months detention. No weekends off, no time off for good behavior, etc.. That would cut down recidivism because what we do now is give them a PR bond and what amounts to a fine.

Not all on Trump though. A lot of democrats have this wrong too.

• Banned

What is needed is that if your first offense is a misdemeanor, you go to jail for 6 months. I don’t care if you steal a candy bar, get caught with a joint, criminal trespass, criminal mischief, PI, whatever. Six months detention. No weekends off, no time off for good behavior, etc.. That would cut down recidivism because what we do now is give them a PR bond and what amounts to a fine.

Yea until it all happens to you or yours. lol

Six months lmfao, you do realize sending someone to prison DESTROYS THEIR LIVES FOREVER, You do realize the average person commits three felonies a day, you do realize when someone goes to prison they LEARN HOW TO BE A BETTER CRIMINAL.........

You do realize you can send someone to prison for yelling at a person, you do realize out of that someone can lose their right to vote, lose their right to own a gun, they lose the ability to find good jobs.

YEAH LETS JUST PUT PPL IN FKN PRISON the minute that CONTROLLED ROBOTIC LINE WALKING DEMAND is broken.

Last edited:
President Donald Trump reportedly gave an enthusiastic thumbs-up to criminal justice reform legislation that would loosen some mandatory minimum sentencing laws — a measure backed by Senate Republicans and Democrats and opposed by conservatives.

Just imagine the black community might not live a life out of prison after Trump's signing. After all Clintons put more blacks in prison than any other when the sob signed that drug war/mandatory min. sentence bs.

How about stop talking about it and be about it. The Justice System in this country was racist as hell long b4 Clinton came on the scene.

Cutting off someone's hand for any first offense would likely cut down on recidivism, that doesn't mean it's a good plan. ;)

Mandatory minimum sentences are, IMO, just a sop to the electorate. Politicians trying to look "tough on crime." It ties the hands of the judicial system, making it so cases cannot be judged on an individual basis.

The idea of giving the same sentence for stealing a candy bar, loitering, making a false report, and misdemeanor assault is ludicrous. I prefer the idea that the punishment should fit the crime to that of the same punishment for all crime.

Weak on crime

Once again MIndwars has attempted to mislead the reader.

Obama cuts sentences of hundreds of drug offenders - CNNPolitics

From the link:

"President Barack Obama on Tuesday reduced or eliminated the sentences for hundreds more non-violent drug offenders.

"The move brings Obama well beyond his most recent predecessors, who used their commutation powers more sparingly. He's now reduced sentences for 1,385 individuals, the vast majority of whom are serving time for crimes related to distribution or production of narcotics."

Does anyone need more examples that Mindwars is a Damn Liar. If so, and if the reader is not willfully ignorant, always check and never trust this ne'er do well.

Just cleaning out and keeping out illegal aliens will help too.

DOJ: 26% of Federal Prisoners Are Aliens

According to the Vera Institute of Justice, incarceration costs an average of more than $31,000 per inmate, per year, nationwide. In some states, it's as much as $60,000. Taxpayers foot the bill for feeding, housing and securing people in state and federal penitentiaries.May 19, 2017

Keep them out as many have already stated their intent to come in illegally.

Two points to consider (there are many more)
  1. The cost to incarcerate someone for six months is expensive, an inmate receives a room, three meals a day and health care
  2. An 18 year old sent to jail for six months will a) have a criminal record for life, and b) develop relationships with life-long criminals, drugs and in many cases be jumped into a gang to protect themselves.

According to the Vera Institute of Justice, incarceration costs an average of more than $31,000 per inmate, per year, nationwide. In some states, it's as much as $60,000. Taxpayers foot the bill for feeding, housing and securing people in state and federal penitentiaries.May 19, 2017

I never counted, but the figures in your link are not credible.

See and be ready to read lots a data here:

State-by-State Data (2017)

No need for me to waste my time I'm good with this report https://cis.org/sites/default/files/2018-01/Alien Incarceration Report, 2017.pdf

illegal aliens in fed custody.PNG

I disagree prison should be reserved for violent offenders

No need for me to waste my time I'm good with this report https://cis.org/sites/default/files/2018-01/Alien Incarceration Report, 2017.pdf

View attachment 228884

Mea culpa, I misread the link, I was speaking to the entire population incarcerated in St. Prisons and County Jails.

For the most part, I agree. There are exceptions, when a victim of a non violent crime has been defrauded of their wealth, and when a member of Congress, the Executive or the Supreme Court violates their oath of office. Crimes against a vulnerable person are the most heinous.

View attachment 228884

Mea culpa, I misread the link, I was speaking to the entire population incarcerated in St. Prisons and County Jails.
I figured that so put the link and snapshot there to see.

Cutting off someone's hand for any first offense would likely cut down on recidivism, that doesn't mean it's a good plan. ;)
That would be barbaric. People make mistakes. People should pay for them. I recommend an adequate and appropriate punishment for a misdemeanor.

Mandatory minimum sentences are, IMO, just a sop to the electorate. Politicians trying to look "tough on crime." It ties the hands of the judicial system, making it so cases cannot be judged on an individual basis.

The idea of giving the same sentence for stealing a candy bar, loitering, making a false report, and misdemeanor assault is ludicrous. I prefer the idea that the punishment should fit the crime to that of the same punishment for all crime.

Well, what I meant (and I am probably guilty of not spelling it out) is that the most basic of crimes that hit the court system should get a minimum on first charge. I used “stealing a candy bar” and that was wrong. But if you’re caught with a bag of pot, CT, CM, etc… I say give the offender an inconvenient amount of jail time. Not a 8 hour stay in jail followed by a PR bond and no inconvenience.

It makes an impression. The problem is that there is no penalty in a lot of cases. It’s a night in jail followed by a PR bond that causes no pain to the perpetrator. Taking 6 months out of their life; that’ll get their attention. If you want to make it 3 months. Cool. A month? Maybe. Just some sort of innate bargain that is known to someone thinking about flaunting the law; “If you do _________, you will get ____________”. Today, tomorrow, no exceptions.

I would think it would do the opposite. It would make it easier for the DA, the Judge, the Jury, etc… No debate about what happens on first time offenders….

ok

Six months lmfao, you do realize sending someone to prison DESTROYS THEIR LIVES FOREVER, You do realize the average person commits three felonies a day, you do realize when someone goes to prison they LEARN HOW TO BE A BETTER CRIMINAL.........

You do realize you can send someone to prison for yelling at a person, you do realize out of that someone can lose their right to vote, lose their right to own a gun, they lose the ability to find good jobs.

YEAH LETS JUST PUT PPL IN FKN PRISON the minute that CONTROLLED ROBOTIC LINE WALKING DEMAND is broken.

3 felonies a day? Explain.

I’m registered with State Boards. I know that if I violate the rules and regulations associated with those licenses, I will lose my license. So guess what? I don’t do those things that will get my licenses and certs revoked.

The proposition goes like this: If I do __________, I will lose ____________.

The system we have now is broken. I think one of the parts that is an easy fix is that first time offenders are often not penalized for breaking the law outside of a minor inconvenience of a night or two in jail followed by a PR bond followed by little else.

My theory is that if you take them off the street for 6 months or 3 months or 1 month or 2 weeks even for the first offense; that will make an impression and they won’t want to go through it again.

3 felonies a day? Explain.

I’m registered with State Boards. I know that if I violate the rules and regulations associated with those licenses, I will lose my license. So guess what? I don’t do those things that will get my licenses and certs revoked.

The proposition goes like this: If I do __________, I will lose ____________.

The system we have now is broken. I think one of the parts that is an easy fix is that first time offenders are often not penalized for breaking the law outside of a minor inconvenience of a night or two in jail followed by a PR bond followed by little else.

My theory is that if you take them off the street for 6 months or 3 months or 1 month or 2 weeks even for the first offense; that will make an impression and they won’t want to go through it again.

Fear of jail is a more effective tool than jail itself. We punish people by taking away their money or their liberty.

The former is immediate and a cost benefit to the community, the late takes days or months or years and is paid for by the taxpayer.

For the record Candycorn's idea is in fact reality, in the CA Penal Code:

Petty theft requires booking, and that process is tantamount to one day in jail (if the court imposes that sentence at the time of sentencing). Thus, a second arrest for Petty Theft is now a Petty with a Prior, and can be filed as a felony which in CA can carry a prison sentence of 18 mos, 2 or 3 years.

Yes Candy, a single candy bar can be punished by a prison sentence, when the above actions are in effect. In fact in our Penal Code the theft of a candy bar can lead to a life sentence if the thief has two prior felony convictions (even decades earlier) and one of which is a serious crime against a person.

That would be barbaric. People make mistakes. People should pay for them. I recommend an adequate and appropriate punishment for a misdemeanor.

Well, what I meant (and I am probably guilty of not spelling it out) is that the most basic of crimes that hit the court system should get a minimum on first charge. I used “stealing a candy bar” and that was wrong. But if you’re caught with a bag of pot, CT, CM, etc… I say give the offender an inconvenient amount of jail time. Not a 8 hour stay in jail followed by a PR bond and no inconvenience.

It makes an impression. The problem is that there is no penalty in a lot of cases. It’s a night in jail followed by a PR bond that causes no pain to the perpetrator. Taking 6 months out of their life; that’ll get their attention. If you want to make it 3 months. Cool. A month? Maybe. Just some sort of innate bargain that is known to someone thinking about flaunting the law; “If you do _________, you will get ____________”. Today, tomorrow, no exceptions.

I would think it would do the opposite. It would make it easier for the DA, the Judge, the Jury, etc… No debate about what happens on first time offenders….

An 8 hour stay in jail and paying for bond is at least an "inconvenience" for most people. That 8 hour stay could mean not going to work, potentially losing a job. That 8 hour stay could mean someone's children aren't properly cared for. As to the bond, well, that's an example of how the justice system tends to be more debilitating to those without financial means.

6 months in jail, on the other hand, is going to be far more than a mere "inconvenience" for most people. That will mean the loss of a job, and be a barrier to getting a new job when the person gets out. That could mean the loss of a car, or a home and the possessions in it. It could mean loss of custody of a person's children. 6 months in jail could be devastating. The same is true of 3 months, or even 1 month.

Yes, it might make things easier for DAs, judges, and juries, but I'm not concerned about the ease of those jobs if it comes as a consequence of removing the ability to view cases as individual circumstances. Every case of criminal mischief is not the same and is not deserving of the same penalty. If you were calling for mandatory minimums for particular crimes, that would be easier to swallow, but to call for the same mandatory sentencing for an entire class of crimes? I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous, and the sentence you propose is draconian by modern standards.

We'd be far better off with fewer laws than with stricter, non-discretionary sentencing. The idea of the US becoming more authoritarian does not appeal to me.

Forum List

Back