Trivia Time.

nitroz

INDEPENDENTly ruthless
May 18, 2011
Merritt Island, FL
Ok, since lots of us here have arguments about our economy, lets play a game.

I assume all of you are familliar with the board game, Monopoly. Right?

I'll give +rep to whoever answers this following question correctly.

What purpose was the board game "Monopoly" invented for in the early 20th century?

What purpose was the board game "Monopoly" invented for in the early 20th century?

To amuse the creators kids during the depression.

Well according to what the inventor said, it's purpose was to show the predatory nature of capitalism.

Of course it doesn't remotely do that.

For one thing everybody starts out with the same amount of investment capital.

The purpose is to win buy monopolizing the board. Buy up as much property as you can and force your opponent into bankruptcy.

Funny thing about Monopoly is that you spend the entire game trying to buy up all the land and to bankrupt everyone else. When this happens in the real economy, everyone ends up bankrupt and poor, including the rich guy who owns everything. The game works like the real economy in the middle of the game when everyone has ownership of a little bit here and there and the players are paying rent back and forth to each other. Once one player takes control and everyone goes belly up, the economy sinks. It's kind of like what has happened in our real economy where the wealthy are gaining complete control of the board and everyone else is going belly up.

The purpose is to win buy monopolizing the board. Buy up as much property as you can and force your opponent into bankruptcy.

Yep. And then the "winner" is left holding everything, but without a source of new income or anything else to purchase with his hard-earned money. In other words, he ends up sitting on a pile of cash and property he can't use for anything and is effectively as poor as the players he ran out of the game.

Are you listening Walmart, venture capitalist's and Wall Street investors?

Last edited:
The original version, The Landlord's Game, was meant to show that rents enriched property owners and impoverished tenants.

Well according to what the inventor said, it's purpose was to show the predatory nature of capitalism.

Of course it doesn't remotely do that.

For one thing everybody starts out with the same amount of investment capital.

correct.
Monopoly was to show how broken unregulated capitalism is. And it still does.

Yep. And then the "winner" is left holding everything, but without a source of new income or anything else to purchase with his hard-earned money. In other words, he ends up sitting on a pile of cash and property he can't use for anything and is effectively as poor as the players he ran out of the game.

Are you listening Walmart, venture capitalist's and Wall Street investors?

Yep.

So as corporations are buying others out, putting money into politics for their favor, and keeping wages low while they post profits at an alltime high, they are hoarding the wealth.

If you increase wages, then people will actually have money to spend, the businesses will still flourish. It won't put businesses under. It will help them, and it's been proven before in the past when raising the minimum wage showed a positive economic boom.

Forum List

Back