Trial shows tantalising signs that new Alzheimer's drug could benefit early-stage patients

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
Trial shows tantalising signs that new Alzheimer's drug could benefit early-stage patients
Injections of the antibody aducanumab appear to slow condition in patients at earliest stages of disease, raising hopes for treatment

The red in the brain scan on the left represents amyloid-beta plaques. At the highest dosage of the treatment being trialled, the brain on the right shows the clearance of plaques. Photograph: Ayres, Michael/Sevigny et al/Nature
Wednesday 31 August 2016 13.00 EDT Last modified on Wednesday 31 August 2016 14.01 EDT

A trial of a new Alzheimer’s drug has shown it could benefit patients in the earliest stages of the disease, raising hopes that a treatment for the devastating condition may finally be on the horizon.

While the trial was designed to assess the safety of the treatment and not whether patients fared better on the drug, an “exploratory analysis” of the data revealed that the treatment appeared to slow the mental decline of patients who responded to the therapy.

Great...

Injections of the antibody aducanumab appear to slow condition in patients at earliest stages of disease, raising hopes for treatment

The red in the brain scan on the left represents amyloid-beta plaques. At the highest dosage of the treatment being trialled, the brain on the right shows the clearance of plaques. Photograph: Ayres, Michael/Sevigny et al/Nature
Wednesday 31 August 2016 13.00 EDT Last modified on Wednesday 31 August 2016 14.01 EDT

A trial of a new Alzheimer’s drug has shown it could benefit patients in the earliest stages of the disease, raising hopes that a treatment for the devastating condition may finally be on the horizon.

While the trial was designed to assess the safety of the treatment and not whether patients fared better on the drug, an “exploratory analysis” of the data revealed that the treatment appeared to slow the mental decline of patients who responded to the therapy.

Great...
It is a cruel disease. Before my dad and I knew, other people around us knew there was something wrong with my mom. That was 5 years ago. When a doctor told her you have Alzheimer's she didn't freak out and we just went about life as nothing happened. For a couple years she was only interested in ncsi with Mark Harmon. Then she lost interest in everything other than she obsessed about a couple things. Ir my dad went out she asked "dad" 1000 times till he came back. Then it was "the kids?" Over and over. She went insane and we tried to deal with it for two years then we finally had to admit her so they could figure out the proper meds. We took her home after they figured out the right meds but then she was a zombie after that. She couldn't even feed herself.

We kept her at home until she couldn't walk. Then she only lasted 3 weeks in the home. Good thing because it was $11000 a month.

I feel good because we babied her till the very end. I went over 5 days a week for 5 years. Sad to watch.

It would have been great to slow down the progression more or even stop the deterioration of the brain. When we first realized it it was no biggy but it got very bad. Can't imagine what my mom went thru.

Just a month ago I was taking her for walks or car rides. I would play music, rub her hair and talk to her. But she was clearly unhappy. My dad's taking it really hard. Even though she put us thru hell he still misses her.

And when I say put us thru hell, I mean I'd rather suffer myself than see someone I love suffer

Forum List

Back