CDZ Trans-Pacific Partnership will kill more jobs

xdangerousxdavex

Apr 8, 2015
Seattle
TPP will raise manufacturing in Asian countries, it will help Chile and Mexico to fix and update their economy, for Canada and the USA to move more manufacturing facilities to poor countries… Stop! What will happen to the US workspaces which will probably be closed?

TPP will raise manufacturing in Asian countries, it will help Chile and Mexico to fix and update their economy, for Canada and the USA to move more manufacturing facilities to poor countries… Stop! What will happen to the US workspaces which will probably be closed?

They will re-open as mom & pops and then be burned down by the rioters/looters.

I don't have a problem with helping our neighbors south of the border to raise their standard of living. That way they won't be showing up on our border looking for a better way of life. All the rest is bs.

I don't have a problem with helping our neighbors south of the border to raise their standard of living. That way they won't be showing up on our border looking for a better way of life. All the rest is bs.
Look, about 20% of all the working population have jobs in industry. What will happen to their jobs if all the manufacturing facilities would be moved to Asia?

The thing that strikes me as funny when I read about these trade agreements is Americans screw each other without them. Look at the roads today and check out the high end foreign cars that pay for healthcare and college overseas. Makes me laugh as corporations and those who gain from selling foreign products sure don't care that many Americans today don't have a living wage. How about all of you out there write your media and corporate advertisers and tell them to support made here? And please don't come back with government motors bs as the Japanese have that down to a science while you cry over a loan.

"Japan ships 1.5 million cars to America each year, but allows only 20,000 American cars into its own market. Since 2012, Japan’s yen has devalued by 50 percent against the dollar. Now Japan wants tariff-free access to the U.S. market through the TPP while it continues cheat on currency."

896 600 Reasons to Care About the Trans-Pacific Partnership Alliance for American Manufacturing

"If any single number captures the state of the American economy over the last decade, it is zero. That was the net gain in jobs between 1999 and 2009—nada, nil, zip. By painful contrast, from the 1940s through the 1990s, recessions came and went, but no decade ended without at least a 20 percent increase in the number of jobs." Who Broke America s Jobs Machine - Barry C. Lynn and Phillip Longman

"The recent job actions and “Black Friday” protests at Walmart underscored the dismal wages and working conditions of many of the nation’s retail workers. Walmart hasn’t staked out some low-wage, no-benefit margin of the labor market: its labor and compensation practices are now the mainstream. For most of the last century, the worst employers in the United States—the tenement sweatshop, the company-town mine—were remnants of our past. Today, they are glimpses into our future." The Good Jobs Deficit Dissent Magazine

"At the top of this list is a trade policy that was designed to put manufacturing workers in direct competition with low-paid workers in the developing world. This had the predicted and actual effect of lowering the wages of U.S. manufacturing workers. Since manufacturing jobs are comparatively well-paying jobs for the 70 percent of the workforce without a college degree, this policy had the effect of lowering wages for this larger group of workers as well." How to Create Middle Class Jobs CounterPunch Tells the Facts Names the Names

"In a nation that measures jobs in the tens of millions, changes to a few thousand barely register. But when multiplied across a wide range of industries, the rise and fall of companies such as Schwinn help explain why the economy has become less forgiving of workers who lack higher education or specialized skills." ¶ "We're missing a big, important part of our society. Either everyone has to go to college or everyone has to have very low-paying jobs," said Richard Schwinn, part of the fourth and last generation to run the firm that bears his name. "I'm not sure that's a great balance." A Rough Ride for Schwinn Bicycle washingtonpost.com
A Rough Ride for Schwinn Bicycle washingtonpost.com

"America has always been a country of entrepreneurs, builders, and creators. As we work to restore our economy, it is important to stand behind the American companies that make good products, maximize U.S. employment, and earn the loyalty of their workers and the communities of which they're a part." Roger Simmermaker, howtobuyamerican.com

Look, about 20% of all the working population have jobs in industry. What will happen to their jobs if all the manufacturing facilities would be moved to Asia?

My point exactly. The working man's taken it on the chin with every treaty that's come down the pipe and I have no reason to think that's gonna change with this treaty.

The only possible exception I have is to help our neighbors to the south so they won't be showing up on our border looking for a better way of life.

That's the kind of a treaty that works for the working man instead of against him like all the giveaways to Asia.

The only possible exception I have is to help our neighbors to the south so they won't be showing up on our border looking for a better way of life.

Those coming across the border are working people. Our treaties aren't meant to help them. They are written to benefit the economic elite.

All our trade agreements are written for the benefit of the owners. Working people are collateral damage in the struggle to own the world.

Those coming across the border are working people. Our treaties aren't meant to help them. They are written to benefit the economic elite.

All our trade agreements are written for the benefit of the owners. Working people are collateral damage in the struggle to own the world.

Yes that's true enough. The working man takes it on the chin everytime. President Obamas trade agreements look just like republican trade agreements.

Yes that's true enough. The working man takes it on the chin everytime. President Obamas trade agreements look just like republican trade agreements.

Always has been the case.
Eventually this will come to a head when manufacturing is no longer requires labor at all and many other fields are going to be the same way.

Always has been the case.
Eventually this will come to a head when manufacturing is no longer requires labor at all and many other fields are going to be the same way.

Sounds pretty dire to me. How do you suppose that might play out should your prediction come too pass.

Manufacturing is already pretty automated. But it will always require blue collar workers.

Not so many putting a nut on a bolt. But skilled maintenance and setup men are needed.

These are (or should be) well paying jobs.

Same way it has hundreds of times is the past.
Economic systems fall, typically violently, and a lot of people die. Then they rebuild something that is hopefully better. We are nearing another economic revolution as we pass from a manufacturing economy to an information one.
I would look at what happened the last time this occurred when we moved from an agrarian society to a manufacturing one. That gives us a glimpse into what this looks like.

Manufacturing is already pretty automated. But it will always require blue collar workers.

Not so many putting a nut on a bolt. But skilled maintenance and setup men are needed.

‘Always’
No, that is not correct. There is no always – at some point in time blue collar workers will no longer be needed in a meaningful sense. We have billions of people on this planet. There is going to be a problem when only millions of jobs are necessary.

Yeah you're friend there is all about doom & gloom. If it wasn't for that he'd have nothing to say. lol

But anyway, getting back to the topic at hand, automation costs money and lots of it. So unless it makes sense there's no point in going down that road.

But anyway, getting back to the topic at hand, automation costs money and lots of it. So unless it makes sense there's no point in going down that road.

I think we're down that road. Small companies in some labor intensive industries won't be able to afford instant automation. But the big ones have off shored, taking advantage of our modern trade philosophy.

Automation was my business, until I retired. With the development of programmable controllers and variable speed 3 phase motor technology automation is getting cheap.

Forum List

Back