Touching Photo: Ferguson Protest (I love this!)

I didn't read your entire post but yes, that is a great photo. Thanks for posting it.

Reading this board, its hard to remember that most people are for equality and fairness, not to mention constitutionally guaranteed rights for all Americans.

I just read an article that what has happened in Ferguson will lead to a renewal of the Civil Rights Movement.

Let's hope that's true.

Thanks Luddly Neddite
This board reminds me there is an anger/venting phase, and denial and projection,
that has to be navigated through to get to the other side. There are no shortcuts around it.
I'm just thankful we have free speech to take out this phase using words as weapons and not real
physical violence or threats as is happening in Ferguson with people going through that phase.

This too shall pass.

I foresaw part two of the Civil Disobedience coming out as Civil Obedience
where people agree with govt how to enforce laws peacefully together, starting locally with police.
this is already happening, where groups are meeting and agreeing on procedures to follow.

We need civics education and proper law enforcement training
for everyone, especially citizens who want licenses for guns.
why not require the same screening oath and training for citizens
as we would for police and military officers? that way, we can screen out mentally unstable
people, like the Ft. Hood shooter and others who could have been diagnosed in advance as dangerous.

Police and citizens are finding we need to work together.
Just have to go through their own process of coming to peace with all the past injustices
that have prevented that level of trust and rebuilding good working relations!

Thank you Luddly
Take care and peace out.
Obey the law and the police will give you all the peace you want.

^ Exactly, I believe this is where the Civil movement is heading:
to more direct agreements and education/training between
police and communities so all AGREE what the procedures are
and AGREE to follow them. I would call this a Civil Obedience movement.

Then anyone with behavior or mental disorders
who cannot follow the law can be screened and get help BEFORE it blows up in violence.

If young men like Brown or others stealing things from stores
got help in advance to understand mutual respect for laws and due process,
he might still be alive today.

the Zimmerman/Martin incident could have been prevented
if there were an agreed uniform policy for registering guests
and following set procedures for checking ID in a gated community
that hires its own trained patrols under an agreed policy for interacting with residents.

Because that incident was too blown up and no agreement was reached
we have another chance with Ferguson for groups to do better than last time.

With other cases around the country, I believe all local cities will start
meetings to form an agreement on how to handle policing and due process
where the communities can tell the difference between law abiding residents
who agree to work with authorities and those with true criminal intent or illness who need help beforehand.

Let's not wait until after guns are drawn to try to figure out
who is just a frightened kid, who is mentally ill, who is a criminal etc.
why can't we start screening residents at the first sign of abuses,
and find better ways to intervene and get people helped if they have issues
before police have to get involved with guns who don't have time to sort out who is dangerous or not.

Very similar to issues with gun rights and mental illness. Not just citizens, but look at Ft. Hood
and why the military failed to screen out that man who clearly was a danger to himself and others.
Clearly we need to do better education training and screening.

and your AG

Thanks on both counts, Manonthestreet.

Yes, it goes both ways.

Most people feel safer pointing out their neighbor's racism we can see more clearly
but it takes someone else to point out our biases for the same reason.

Luddly fights to eradicate all such biases, but if people are going to have them,
I find it is better to focus on working with each other DESPITE our biases, since some
are so engrained not everyone can be expected to change this and be like the Dalai Lama or Gandhi.

If we all had to be like that before making peace, we'd never get there.

I agree the first step is to recognize we all have biases. Luddly is right on that,
but as we know it is easier said than done to deal with each other's biases as we do our own.

Making peace is not about changing each other,
but learning to deal with each other anyway, despite the things that won't change and accepting that,
and finding how to create solutions anyway.

Or perhaps touch more morality...........think they teach stealing is wrong.........
There are looters, rioters, and protesters. They are not all the same. When I was younger, I participated in a number of protests and a few that turned into riots. Usually, but not always, these people just wanted to make their voices hear. Unfortunately, they're jointed by people that are there to have a good time and raise some hell. Rioters and looters could care less about the protest. They are there to raise hell and steal whatever they can.

Uh. No I didn't.

Maybe that isn't what you meant, but that is how your post read.....see, none of what you are saying....regarding Michael Brown, regardless of what you think of him, he didn't deserve to be killed....unless it can be proven that he was doing something criminal and was putting the policeman at risk....which hasn't been proven. That's why there needed to be a trial, so the truth would come out. As long as people just take someone's word at face value, people are going to end up getting shafted....I'm sure you wouldn't like that for yourself....and neither would I like it for myself. If it can be proven that Brown was the aggressor, then so be it, but the way it is being handled is not the way our Constitution dictates.
But in my opinion, he DID deserve to be killed. He was going to massively hurt or kill the cop. I have no pity for that guy. None.

That hasn't been proven. You are taking the word of the policeman, but witnesses say different....and experts that have evaluated the distance and the placement of the shots say they are inconsistent with what the policeman says. And you are right, it is your opinion, and you are not being swayed by facts.

Yes, but you haven't provided any factual information to support your drum!
I don't need to. It's MY drum. I want no other marchers so no need to give any factual information. It's kinda like trying to describe the smell of number 6. lol

Well you're entitled to have your own erroneous beliefs....that's for sure.
Erroneous to you. Not to me.
And so round and round it goes again, right? Which proves my initial point. But I forget what it was now anyway. :D

There are several flaws in your logic. Let me bullet point it to avoid misunderstanding:

- You are saying that since your family did not own slaves, the plight of black Americans is none of your problem. That approach lacks empathy.

- You are assuming that poverty is the only hurdle blacks face. That is not correct. Their family was uprooted. They had no identity. It takes generations to recover from this kind of trauma. It is not as easy as you assume.

- Furthermore, every injustice that is done to a black family today results in the reset of that vicious cycle that I talked about. The count is set to zero again. They start over again trying to fight their way out of that vicious cycle.

- No body in America has the same kind of advantages a white person has and this includes blacks.
Pish posh. I have plenty of empathy for those who deserve it. You want me to feel sorry for a bunch of thugs that set fire to their town INCLUDING black people who had businesses there because they were uprooted a hundred or so years ago? Pahlease.

Nobody that I know is asking you to feel sorry for the people that are violently protesting....I don't agree with that either, but we're pointing out your misguided beliefs that people you consider to be thugs or don't like their attitudes or backgrounds don't deserve the same justice that the Constitution is supposed to grant everyone. That is Un-American.

I didn't read your entire post but yes, that is a great photo. Thanks for posting it.

Reading this board, its hard to remember that most people are for equality and fairness, not to mention constitutionally guaranteed rights for all Americans.

I just read an article that what has happened in Ferguson will lead to a renewal of the Civil Rights Movement.

Let's hope that's true.

Thanks Luddly Neddite
This board reminds me there is an anger/venting phase, and denial and projection,
that has to be navigated through to get to the other side. There are no shortcuts around it.
I'm just thankful we have free speech to take out this phase using words as weapons and not real
physical violence or threats as is happening in Ferguson with people going through that phase.

This too shall pass.

where people agree with govt how to enforce laws peacefully together, starting locally with police.
this is already happening, where groups are meeting and agreeing on procedures to follow.

as we would for police and military officers? that way, we can screen out mentally unstable
people, like the Ft. Hood shooter and others who could have been diagnosed in advance as dangerous.

Just have to go through their own process of coming to peace with all the past injustices

Thank you Luddly
Take care and peace out.

I would like to believe it will pass and that all we need is to educate people but if that were true, we would not still have the horrendous racism and ignorance we do.

Im laughing..........visiting this message board is worth it every day if only to watch the uber-lefts heads explode!!:rock::rock::up:

pic is awesome........

You must not have much comprehension....it seems to me it's the ones on the right who are exploding....with anger, hatred and vitriol.

Let's hope that's true.

Thanks Luddly Neddite

This too shall pass.

Thank you Luddly
Take care and peace out.

You are so freaking naive. For some people, even when they obey the law, the haters (especially those with some form of power) will exploit it. As long as people like you keep looking the other way and pretending it doesn't exist, it will continue or get worse.

The number of reported incidents of police brutality and excessive force toward Black men could very easily lead one to believe that the Black man may be American law enforcement’s worst nightmare. None are stranger to the reality of racial profiling in the police force. Profiling continually affects mostly Hispanic and Black males as it’s assumed that Blacks and Hispanics are more likely to be the perpetrators of crime than their White and Asian counterparts. With such change that has taken place since the civil rights movement, reported incidents of police brutality are at an all-time high among black males. According to the National Safety Council, statistics show that black males are 21 times more likely to be shot, maimed, or killed at the hands of police than any other racial group. While police officials and vigilantes are continuing to get away with cold-blooded murder in the figurative name of the law.
Read more at Police Brutality Against Black Males
Police Brutality Against Black Males

Anyone ever ask any black cops what their take on all of this Ferguson shit is? My guess is that they'd side with Wilson and the law. I know that doesn't jibe with left wing mob mentality media propaganda.

Link?

Let's hope that's true.

Thanks Luddly Neddite

This too shall pass.

Thank you Luddly
Take care and peace out.

You are so freaking naive. For some people, even when they obey the law, the haters (especially those with some form of power) will exploit it. As long as people like you keep looking the other way and pretending it doesn't exist, it will continue or get worse.

The number of reported incidents of police brutality and excessive force toward Black men could very easily lead one to believe that the Black man may be American law enforcement’s worst nightmare. None are stranger to the reality of racial profiling in the police force. Profiling continually affects mostly Hispanic and Black males as it’s assumed that Blacks and Hispanics are more likely to be the perpetrators of crime than their White and Asian counterparts. With such change that has taken place since the civil rights movement, reported incidents of police brutality are at an all-time high among black males. According to the National Safety Council, statistics show that black males are 21 times more likely to be shot, maimed, or killed at the hands of police than any other racial group. While police officials and vigilantes are continuing to get away with cold-blooded murder in the figurative name of the law.
Read more at Police Brutality Against Black Males
Police Brutality Against Black Males
Thanks Mertex
I like how you address and includ. Peoples views coming from both sides, abd believe that approach is why we will succeed with Ferguson where other cases failed to unite people.

I think its both things together:
Yes we need to uphold the laws to be on the same side of the law
And
Yes we need to use this leverage to check power against abuses.

We need both, and with all the good people coming fwd this will happen. Thanks

Boo hoo and la de da. Justice was served.
What about Rodney Johnson
The black officer killed by an
illegal deportee with criminal illness that didnt get treated.
He got life instead of death and
Then tried to escape from prison.

You may call this justice.
I dont consider our work done
Until we correct and prevent problems from repeating.

Gracie after that black man chased after you, are you satisfied he got caught after the fact. Wouldnt you prefer crime not occur in the first place. That this man be caught before he threatened you.

I dont think its fair to call it justice.
We dont have justice yet, thats why this garbage keeps happening.

He didn't get caught. He just found a new nest, I presume.

I don't get WHY it is so hard to understand that if a criminal threatens someone with possible death (depends on the frame of mind of the criminal and nobody knows whats in his head, do they), they are stopped with lethal force BEFORE they kill YOU, that its a bad thing. It just flat out amazes me.

Next time a cop stops you, slap him. Then wrestle for his gun. Call him a pussy too, while you're at it. See what happens.

With that said, SOME folks have already made up their mind that MOST folks should be pacifists and just take their lumps and possible death. Not this gal. So since I won't change my mind about what makes me, ME, I am slapped in a box and told I am wrong, then denigrated for my beliefs. Whatever.

Last edited:
And furthermore...ANYONE..no matter the color..that is a thug and gets their sorry asses killed for being a thug..tough patooties. Thug officers are included in that.

He didn't get caught. He just found a new nest, I presume.

I don't get WHY it is so hard to understand that if a criminal threatens someone with possible death (depends on the frame of mind of the criminal and nobody knows whats in his head, do they), they are stopped with lethal force BEFORE they kill YOU, that its a bad thing. It just flat out amazes me.

Next time a cop stops you, slap him. Then wrestle for his gun. Call him a pussy too, while you're at it. See what happens.

Dear Gracie
Fighting with cops or thugs after the fact
Does not change the fact
Someone was already raped or murdered
Or robbed which could be prevented to nip the chain in the bud.

I guess my standards of justice are different from yours. My drum beat is different, too. For ppl to enjoy equal protection of the laws, no crime or violation should occur in the first place. I am not content to say oh well after the fact, but seek sustainable prevention and corrections before crimes occur.

That way ppl have equal peace and security not living in fear.

I believe in breaking the cycles of crime abuse and poverty on all levels. Not cleaning up after the fact and calling it justice done.

I have no control over whether he was caught or not, emily. Preventing crime is all fine and dandy but criminals don't give a shit about what they do. The only ones trying to prevent crime are NON criminals.

Forum List

Back