Tomorrow is the 50th anniversary of Woodstock

Rocko

Platinum Member
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 30, 2011
NY
it was before my time. I would have loved to have gone. Which board members went? What was it like?

it was before my time. I would have loved to have gone. Which board members went? What was it like?
Good luck, Rocko! My guess is, most of them that went won't remember much....
peace

Last edited:
I was there, age 16. It was a stinky mudhole. Rained all the time.

Some of the best bands of the time, though.

I remember we booed the Grateful Dead off the stage after they'd jammed the same song for 3 hours, and were rewarded with Santana's first big show. They burned the stage down.

The sun even came out for them.

I refused to go because Led Zeppelin and Frank Zappa passed on it. Er, that and I was about 14 and my parents weren't Progressive reptiles that would have allowed their eldest child to wander off with the neighborhood Hippies for 3 days of sex, drugs and rock and roll.

I refused to go because Led Zeppelin and Frank Zappa passed on it. Er, that and I was about 14 and my parents weren't Progressive reptiles that would have allowed their eldest child to wander off with the neighborhood Hippies for 3 days of sex, drugs and rock and roll.

Well, the expectation was that maybe 50,000 people would show up and that it would just be a nice idyllic walk through the farmlands with music. Of course 10 times that many showed, ate up all the food in town and crapped all over the place. It did stay peaceful though, mainly because the cops suspended drug enforcement laws that weekend.

Nixon got round of applause (from THAT crowd!) when he declared it a disaster area. :auiqs.jpg:

Ran into about 15 people from my neighborhood, but to this day, outside the pictures I took, I haven't seen a single one of us in the so-far published pics, or the films.

The Who began their set at 5:00 AM. Their set ended as the sun rose at 6:05 AM.

Their set was slightly interrupted by Abbie Hoffman's breaking onto the stage and delivering a short speech before he was dealt with by Townshend. Mr Townshend chose to motivate Mr. Hoffman off of the stage by smashing his guitar into Hoffman's back and then shoving him backward to the wings.

Hoffman: "I think this is a pile of shit while John Sinclair rots in prison..."
Townshend: "Fuck off! Fuck off my fucking stage!"

Roger Daltrey - vocals
Pete Townshend - guitar, vocals
John Entwistle - bass, vocals
Keith Moon - drums

Heaven And Hell
I Can't Explain
It's A Boy
Amazing Journey
Sparks
Eyesight To The Blind
Cristmas
Tommy Can You Hear Me?
Acid Queen
Pinball Wizard

*Abbie Hoffmann Incident*

Fiddle About
There's A Doctor I've Found
Go To The Mirror Boy
Smash The Mirror
I'm Free
Tommy's Holiday Camp
We're Not Gonna Take It
See Me Feel Me
Summertime Blues
Shakin' All Over
My Generation
Naked Eye

First time I heard of this guy was this show - At first we thought he was some drugged out attendee who somehow found his way to the stage while a band was warming up.

The Who began their set at 5:00 AM. Their set ended as the sun rose at 6:05 AM.

Their set was slightly interrupted by Abbie Hoffman's breaking onto the stage and delivering a short speech before he was dealt with by Townshend. Mr Townshend chose to motivate Mr. Hoffman off of the stage by smashing his guitar into Hoffman's back and then shoving him backward to the wings.

Hoffman: "I think this is a pile of shit while John Sinclair rots in prison..."
Townshend: "Fuck off! Fuck off my fucking stage!"

Roger Daltrey - vocals
Pete Townshend - guitar, vocals
John Entwistle - bass, vocals
Keith Moon - drums

Heaven And Hell
I Can't Explain
It's A Boy
Amazing Journey
Sparks
Eyesight To The Blind
Cristmas
Tommy Can You Hear Me?
Acid Queen
Pinball Wizard

*Abbie Hoffmann Incident*

Fiddle About
There's A Doctor I've Found
Go To The Mirror Boy
Smash The Mirror
I'm Free
Tommy's Holiday Camp
We're Not Gonna Take It
See Me Feel Me
Summertime Blues
Shakin' All Over
My Generation
Naked Eye

The Who was not a group to trifle with. They were all well experienced brawlers. :113:

Forum List

Back