Tomato's and pepper plants went in today

The weather has been dicey in the last week with 80's down to 60's in a day and overnight lows approaching freezing. Wind gusts so strong that they blew my tomato cages down here in western Shenandoah Va. but the garden is dug and pretty soon some sweet corn will go in and I'll try to beat my personal 80 lb pumpkin record.

The key is the soil temperature. If the soil has warmed enough, you'll be OK. A cool night can be dealt with by simply putting a plastic tent over for the night.

The weather has been dicey in the last week with 80's down to 60's in a day and overnight lows approaching freezing. Wind gusts so strong that they blew my tomato cages down here in western Shenandoah Va. but the garden is dug and pretty soon some sweet corn will go in and I'll try to beat my personal 80 lb pumpkin record.
I've go a bunch of tomatoes and peppers started indoors in the sun room.. Here in NW Ohio it will be a couple more weeks before it's really safe to plant them outdoors.

I've got everything prepped and ready to go.

Mine went in yesterday. I started mine a month late this month, in late March, due to my wife and I having the China Virus but the new grow tent and grow lights were amazing.

My tomato "seedlings" were over 16 inches tall, stems 3/8 of an inch thick, and growing like mad. This system will be great from now on.

The pepper seedlings are only about 6 to 8 inches tall; they take longer but are as good as what's at Walmart or Lowe's so I'm still ahead even though I'm behind.

Still too cold here in the NW. I have tomato and pepper plants under grow lights indoors though--probably two more weeks before we see steady 70's.

Mine went in yesterday. I started mine a month late this month, in late March, due to my wife and I having the China Virus but the new grow tent and grow lights were amazing.

My tomato "seedlings" were over 16 inches tall, stems 3/8 of an inch thick, and growing like mad. This system will be great from now on.

The pepper seedlings are only about 6 to 8 inches tall; they take longer but are as good as what's at Walmart or Lowe's so I'm still ahead even though I'm behind.
Mine have been in for a month as well, but only 4-5" tall and thin stalks.

Did you transplant them into larger containers? Mine went through 1 to 2 transplants since seeding in March. First from the seed tray to a 4 inch pot and then into a gallon pot. I have about 75 tomatoes but just a dozen peppers. I'll start a lot more peppers and herbs now that the grow tent is emptied.

Did you transplant them into larger containers? Mine went through 1 to 2 transplants since seeding in March. First from the seed tray to a 4 inch pot and then into a gallon pot. I have about 75 tomatoes but just a dozen peppers. I'll start a lot more peppers and herbs now that the grow tent is emptied.
I've gone as far as the 4" pot, but nothing larger yet. I'll try it. Thanks.

My plants went in 4 weeks ago.

We have had lots of rain.

They are all looking beautiful at the moment.

To tell the truth we buy the young tomato and pepper plants mostly at Lowes. Sometimes I have to repot because they are so rootbound and I can't get them in the ground right away. Radishes and cool weather plants are seeded right in the ground. The radishes are up and it looks like a good year for garlic. The tops are about a foot tall. Getting onion sets in late because the box that was mailed from Texas was so rotten that it stunk up the mail box. I like growing pumpkins, the giant kind, but they require a lot of maintenance and chemicals I don't like to use. They start out good and then the vines go bad. Maybe cutworms or fungus.

Forum List

Back