To Those in the Atlanta Area

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hobbit, Nov 27, 2006.

1. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Don't do business with Sutherland owned car dealerships. I know he has a Nissan dealership in Athens, but he has a few more elsewhere. So anyway, here's the deal.

My sister's car, a Volkswagen New Beetle, came from his dealership in Athens. Since it wasn't a Nissan, it hadn't been worked on at the dealership and was for sale 'as is.' That wasn't a problem, as they offered us a Carfax report. However, this report failed to mention that the transmission had been replaced (when we got a Carfax report independantly, we compared and the one he handed us still had the repair on it, labelled 'transmission worked on') and the dealer failed to mention (and he knew this) that it had no transmission fluid in it. The repairs have cost more than the car did, and after numerous dealings with this guy and Carfax, we've basically been told by everyone that 'it's not my problem.' I mean, he didn't even apologize or say he'd like to help, but can't. He basically told us to go sit 'n' spin. Right now, we're working on getting Clark Howard to blow the whistle on these guys, but I thought I'd get a little head start.

2. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    There ya go. And NEVER trust a car dealer to be honest.

3. glockmail

glockmail BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    It seems like you have a case with the Attorney General:
    1. It apears that you are saying that he altered the CarFax report, which is fraud. He could be facing jail time for that.
    2. The dealer sold you a working automobile, but one without fluid does not meet that definition. That's breech of contract.

4. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    He has no case. Carfax is not part of any legal government required doc I know of. It means no more than words from the salesman, which mean nothing according to the Feds.

Caveat Emptor

5. The ClayTaurus

The ClayTaurus Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    I wonder about lemon laws...

6. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Pretty sure that only applies to new cars. Not 100% sure though. Only 99% sure.

7. glockmail

glockmail BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +438
    Just hold on now---

If the dealer presented the buyer with a piece of paper written from Joe Blow that states Fact A and Joe Blow's report does not state Fact A then this is evidence that the dealer altered Joe Blow's report, which is fraud.

8. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    We have no case. The problem with the Carfax thing is that the report he gave us does list the repair job in question, though in non-specific terms. We can't prove that the Carfax report wasn't edited when the nature of the repair was discovered. This guy covered his tracks well, which is why our remaining recourse is to cost the guy millions in lost sales by blowing the whistle on him.

What's worse is that all he had to do to avoid our wrath would be either of the following.

1. Tell us about the transmission before we bought it. We likely still would have bought it and would have repaired it cheaply, rather than having the transmission blow up in mid-trip.

2. Apologize for the incident afterwards and make some sort of effort to make us not mad at him.

9. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,442

Your state doesn't have a Lemon Law?

10. 90K

90K BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +64
    You know a real kick in the pants. I act like I don't need a car when I buy because these sales folks are for the most parts untrust worthy at best. The profit margin on used cars is so much more that even if several thousand boycotted this cat's dealerships he is still making a killing elsewhere. And let me guess ya'll found out about the transmission long after the 48-72 hour return policy?

:death: