Tis The Season, To Get Into Shape Thread

auditor0007

Gold Member
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, OH
This thread is for those of us who are serious about working out, if that is just to stay in great shape, or if it is to start a new weight loss program. Every day, you can post what you did for your workout. This is meant to give others motivation as well as discuss how you all are coming along.

Please, if your idea of a workout is eating a box of Twinkies or lifting 12 oz beers, please do not bother posting in this thread. Set up your own "Fat Ass" thread for that.

Today was weight day, and along with doing all my sets, I was able to improve my max bench press from 155 to 160 lbs. I know many of you can probably bench much more, but I only weigh 138 lbs and I'm a runner, so building muscle isn't what I'm after. Still not bad for an old man like me. After that, I went to the park and jogged 5 miles in just under 45 minutes. I usually don't run on days that I lift, but it was so nice out, I didn't want to waste the day only doing weights.

Tomorrow may have to be an off day or just a short run day, because I have to finish my taxes. Ugh!

Living in Western Pennsylvania, bicycling on the open road is an activity that requires the stamina to tackle long, steep hills - otherwise, don't even bother riding because there ain't no flat 20-mile loops to be found.

I do interval training on a stationary bike when it's too nasty outside to ride, but at this time of year I have to get in some hard riding to get ready for my long Summer rides. Fortunately (or unfortunately) the housing subdivision where I live has some very steep, rather long hills (1/4 mile), and I've mapped out a 20-minute loop that is, shall we say, challenging. Three loops is the equivalent of a spirited 30-mile ride. I was able to barely get through two loops the other day before quitting. I'll probably do this a couple more times before going off on a long ride.

I also play tennis, which is limited to indoor doubles from, basically, mid-October through late April. Well, two hours of doubles is NOT equivalent to a hard, three-set singles match, and I start my singles "ladder" competition next week. Usually, by the middle of the second set I'm hoping that it doesn't go three, even if it means I lose.

At 64 years old, I'm not going to be getting any fitter anytime soon, but my goal at this time of year is to get into as good a shape as I was in September last year. It will take a while.

BTW, I lift weights, stretch, and do intervals during a 55 minute workout, three days a week, year round.

I had to take a break from exercise for a month or so. Bursitis in my shoulder made even running painful. It felt like may arm was coming out of the socket. I gained about 10 lbs and now after a cortisone shot and starting rehab exercises, I am back to running on the treadmill and light rehab lifting. It should be about 3 weeks and I can get back to full workout. If not, Dr. will give me another shot and an MRI. I don't think I will need it.

I started a 25 minute a day workout 6 days week with an occasional 2 hour Saturday weightlifting bonanza. But the 25 minutes a day has kept me in relatively good shape for 30 years.

Living in Western Pennsylvania, bicycling on the open road is an activity that requires the stamina to tackle long, steep hills - otherwise, don't even bother riding because there ain't no flat 20-mile loops to be found.

I do interval training on a stationary bike when it's too nasty outside to ride, but at this time of year I have to get in some hard riding to get ready for my long Summer rides. Fortunately (or unfortunately) the housing subdivision where I live has some very steep, rather long hills (1/4 mile), and I've mapped out a 20-minute loop that is, shall we say, challenging. Three loops is the equivalent of a spirited 30-mile ride. I was able to barely get through two loops the other day before quitting. I'll probably do this a couple more times before going off on a long ride.

I also play tennis, which is limited to indoor doubles from, basically, mid-October through late April. Well, two hours of doubles is NOT equivalent to a hard, three-set singles match, and I start my singles "ladder" competition next week. Usually, by the middle of the second set I'm hoping that it doesn't go three, even if it means I lose.

At 64 years old, I'm not going to be getting any fitter anytime soon, but my goal at this time of year is to get into as good a shape as I was in September last year. It will take a while.

BTW, I lift weights, stretch, and do intervals during a 55 minute workout, three days a week, year round.

Nice! I know those hills of PA. I can't imagine they make biking easy, lol. I've been thinking about buying a bike to start riding.

5K run today at an 8 minute per mile pace, then a 1 mile cool down. Whether was cold and it was starting to rain. We're supposed to get snow overnight and into tomorrow. Gotta love Spring.

Shitty and cold outside today. It actually snowed a little bit overnight, so today was weight day at the gym. Anyone else working out?

Four miles at the park today in just under 32 minutes. I am definitely out of shape because this did not come easy.

Six miles tonight at the park in 52 minutes. I just took it at an easy pace tonight. It was a very enjoyable run. I was a bit late for all the good looking women though, lol.

Forum List

Back