Tipping

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
Am I the only one out there who doesn't automatically tip 15% on everything?

I was thinking about this on the way to work. At the coffee stand I go to (actually, every coffee stand I've been to), they have a tip cup out. Some people throw in their change, some people even tip a dollar for a $3-4 coffee. I never tip baristas, but I do tip other places; at restraunts, I usually start at 10% and go up from there if the service was good.

But doesn't it seem like tips are becoming more and more expected, and almost mandatory? I mean, tipping a waiter is one thing, when they are making repeated trips to your table, filling drinks, etc. But I really don't feel like I should have to tip someone at a coffee stand or a fast food joint for a 30-second job that they are getting paid for anyway.

I think you should probably tip your division Graphics guy - a LOT. :)

I'm a generous tipper -

What's getting me is that everybody is putting tip jars out, now. I was at a terriyaki place - the kind where you order, stand in line, and they bring you a to-go box. Yup - there was a tip jar there. Who can blame them? Their job isn't to feed you - it's to take your money.

:)

I don't think you have to tip at a coffee stand, that's by choice, Dunkin Donuts has the same cup out and now and then, yes, I throw some change in it. At a restraunt, i do tip, and will give a really good tip if service good, or, hahaha, think the waiter was cute! :) what kills me though, is when you get to a certain amount and the tip is automatically put on the bill - we all went out one night, yeah, the bill was over $100 and the tip was added on to the bill, this I thought was wrong, I should have tipped what I wanted to and not what they put in, service sucked that night too! I do find that there are some people, which I won't get into and start something, that don't believe in tipping at all, this is wrong. Your waiter/waitress is a job that depends on tips, yes, if service is bad, i still say maybe something should be given, but to not tip at all, is wrong.

Must have been a boring ride to work jeff! haha!

From my days as a waiter, you are definitely not the only one! But I liked the ones that did better :) Not sure how the concept of tipping actually started other than that one urban legend, but these days, especially for waiters, it's figured into their compensation. They only get paid $2.13 an hour (or that's what it was when I left the biz), which was up from $2.01 when I started. A lot of folks don't realize that and think waiters make minimum wage at least as salary and tips are just gravy. Naturally as a former server I tend to tip more around %20 for 'good' service. less for bad, more for great, but usually no less than 15% unless it was truly horrible and even then I feel a little bad but they gotta get the message somehow or find another line of work.

For those places with tip jars, coffee spots, subway sandwich places, etc. I usually drop 50 cents to a dollar just because. It don't take much outta my pocket and might contribute to a 6 pack for the folks behind the counter. Also it sometimes makes them smile if they weren't already. Just dealing with the common populace face to face is a heroic act somedays, if you haven't done it on a daily basis you have NO idea how rude some people can be to fellow humans.

edit: just saw your post janeeng, adding a gratuity is a dicey call on the waiter's part when management policy allows it. Sometimes you'd get a better tip if you didn't, sometimes it ensures the drunk guy paying the tab doesn't forget to tip you at all lol. I never feel obligated to pay the preset tip unless it's announced beforehand, ie a note on the menu that parties larger than 6 are subject to a set gratuity. If the waiter just adds %15 outta the blue that's usually what they get instead of the %20 I had in mind.

Now I do stil tip cute waitresses a little more... ;)

But I will say that I can't stand the automatic gratuity. I mean, if they add 15% to the bill, but the service was horrible, why should I have to pay the additional 15%? I think it's a crock.

And if the service is bad somewhere, I usually throw a penny or two on the table - to make sure that they know I didn't forget to tip them, but that their service totally sucked! I've only had to do that once or twice though. On the flip side, at my favorite places, I usually tip around 20% all the time.

And Aquarian, as far as i know, waiters have to be paid minimum wage, which in Washington State is an astounding $7.01/hr. So I'm not going to lose too much sleep over people not making enough in tips to cover their cost of living.

Washington State offers better then. I do believe here in NJ it is still under $5, not sure, they get to keep the tips - then you have some that you have to put your tips in a can and divide it amongst all! that would truly have me pissed!

As of june, 2003, "the FLSA requires employers to pay just $2.13 an hour to tipped workers, such as waiters and waitresses, under the theory that a worker's tips make up the difference. A few states bar tip credits altogether and require employers to pay the full minimum wage, while others set a higher floor." Your state might well be one that requires higher pay for waiters, but not all do.

http://www.aflcio.org/yourjobeconomy/minimumwage/ns0928b2000.cfm

Also, in most cases waiters have taxes withheld based on a percent of their sales from their paycheck whether they get tipped or not, sometimes resulting in a $0 or even negative paycheck. I'm not saying you have to tip, just things to be aware of when you decide not to. This means much more to someone working at applebee's than a waiter at the ritz carlton.

I'm like Mr. Pink in Reservoir Dogs, if the girl deserves a good tip, she gets a good tip. And, if they don't like getting $2.13/hour they should quit and find another job, it's not my job to support them.

I think the fact that I'm a poor college student has something to do with my tendency not to tip, too.

Originally posted by Dan
I'm like Mr. Pink in Reservoir Dogs, if the girl deserves a good tip, she gets a good tip. And, if they don't like getting $2.13/hour they should quit and find another job, it's not my job to support them.

Dan, that sounds like something us conservatives would say! You're coming along nicely! :D

Forum List

Back